Turbo gas or Diesel?

Turbo 6.0 or stock Diesel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smitty2919

Established Member
I have a '17 Denali HD and tow/haul a lot. From your list I wouldn't go with the LML Duramax (2011 - 2016) due to their widely known issues with the CP4 fuel system unless you're willing to shell out $4-5k for a CP3 retrograde. The L5Ps (2017+) are fantastic stock (445 hp and 910 tq) and absolute animals deleted/tuned. Maintenance is the same as any of my previous gasser trucks, just takes a few more quarts of oil. Fuel filters are cheap and super easy to replace. DEF tank is 7 gallons so it lasts me several thousand miles before I need to fill it again.

View attachment 1667281

Good points I did not know that about 11-16. Something else I learned about was "pump rub" on earlier 4x4 trucks too. Friend of mine has the same truck you do. SUPER quiet, rides fairly firm and noticed it can "skip" over bumps. Stock tires seem about shot though. It's an all around nice truck that I could see us owning.

If you absolutely must go diesel and GM, get an early ‘07 LBZ. Damn near bulletproof and have the 6 speed Allison. It will pull more than you sound like you’ll ever need to and won’t break a sweat doing it. I just absolutely hate not having a sfa in a 3/4 & 1 ton truck but you’re looking for comfort it sounds like.

I appreciate the suggestion, but going from a 2003 to a 2007 is not a justifiable jump in comfort/style UNLESS it was a 100% stock unmolested and no rust vehicle and adeal you can't pass up. I can't stand the 07 center console design and how flat/boring it is. Same reason I went with a C5 over a C6 when looking at them. Interior is much more pleasurable to look at IMO in a C5. I would like to somewhat "splurge" on the newest truck we decide we want to afford.

A stock 6.0L HD should be able to tow that. Don't see the need for FI for a truck with your purpose.

However, if it's between a FI 6.0 or a stock diesel, I'll take the diesel.

I would never doubt the 6.0 ability/reliability. Just weighing options on whether to chose a truck that "can do it" vs one "that can do it without breaking a sweat". The turbo idea was to try to level the playing field HP/TQ wise.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Adding FI to a gas truck for the purpose of towing is a terrible idea - it will cost you a small fortune to do it correctly so that it is as reliable as it needs to be.

Get a 13+ 6.7 PSD and call it a day

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Diesel don’t look back. I made the switch 3 years ago from ram 1500 5.7 hemi to ram 2500 6.7. I maybe spend $2-300 a year maintenance. Two oil changes and a set of fuel filters other than that the truck has been awesome and tows like nothing is behind it.

216feb8e700dcfe7e74c1e459f139ef9.jpg

3e0a94a7c98734a4e24f592b09d4f82f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C2tuck

Established Member
Adding FI to a gas truck for the purpose of towing is a terrible idea - it will cost you a small fortune to do it correctly so that it is as reliable as it needs to be.

Get a 13+ 6.7 PSD and call it a day

He no likey the Fords.

There is a reason Fords are the majority of ambulances, city vehicles, and 99% of what is used in the oilfield.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
He no likey the Fords.

There is a reason Fords are the majority of ambulances, city vehicles, and 99% of what is used in the oilfield.

oil field it’s because they are cheap AF and companies know employees beat the **** out of them on lease roads.

Has nothing to do with reliability lol

C2tuck

Established Member
oil field it’s because they are cheap AF and companies know employees beat the **** out of them on lease roads.

Has nothing to do with reliability lol

Wanna bet?

I don’t think any new diesels are “cheap AF.

I’ve worked for other companies who have tried dodges and Chevys and always go back to fords.
Sure they get the piss beat out of them...but they keep on running too.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
Wanna bet?

I don’t think any new diesels are “cheap AF.

I’ve worked for other companies who have tried dodges and Chevys and always go back to fords.
Sure they get the piss beat out of them...but they keep on running too.

75% of them aren’t diesels.. sure the CDL drivers are diesel trucks. But your every day oil guy.. pumper/pipeline/lease operator ... etc etc is a gasser

MOST diesels are privately owned workers. Fleet trucks are almost always gassers.. simply because

1. cheap

2. Way too many idiots put DEF in the fuel tank lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The iron LQ4 is tough as ****ing nails. It is common on 300k mile engine tear-downs to see cross hatch in the cylinder walls.

I say turbo it. An on3 kit for that truck is CHEAP as hell and bolts right on. The engine bay is huge and would be easy to work on.

1999-06 Chevy/GMC 1500 / 2500 Silverado & Sierra Truck Single Turbo System | On3Performance

Hardest part will be keeping it cool while towing. Maybe run a second, remote radiator? Also a good, quality intercooler will be a must to keep IATs down.

Give it a shot! Ive always wanted to do this myself.......... Wife and I have a 2002 3/4 Suburban with with 6.0 that just hit 200k miles a few months ago. LOVE that truck and will probably never sell it.

C2tuck

Established Member
75% of them aren’t diesels.. sure the CDL drivers are diesel trucks. But your every day oil guy.. pumper/pipeline/lease operator ... etc etc is a gasser

MOST diesels are privately owned workers. Fleet trucks are almost always gassers.. simply because

1. cheap

2. Way too many idiots put DEF in the fuel tank lol

Not that I’ve seen in the west Texas oil fields, and I’ve been out here for the better part of 10 years. I’d say that 85% are diesels. Every work truck I had before going out on my own was diesel.

Had one company go try gas and went right back to diesels. Said never again.

Mine is my personal now and the def tank has long been removed. Lol.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
Not that I’ve seen in the west Texas oil fields, and I’ve been out here for the better part of 10 years. I’d say that 85% are diesels. Every work truck I had before going out on my own was diesel.

Had one company go try gas and went right back to diesels. Said never again.

Mine is my personal now and the def tank has long been removed. Lol.

I’m in west Texas right now In the oil field!!

... in my diesel

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Gas with a 5 psi air to air intercooler. All you need to keep moving on grade. Install a good aftermarket trans cooler and Universal Dual Remote Bypass System. The AMSOIL kit will add extra clean oil to the circuit and everyone is happy. Keep the turbo right sized for quick spool.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I put 30k miles a year on my primary work trucks. I regularly travel steep graded mountains with cargo in tow. V10 is by far the most economical with minimal power sacrifices. I'm on my 2nd v10 starting with a 2012 model. I have pics of dash read after long trip of 17+mpg not in tow. I now work a 6.7 that can only get 12 mpg NOT towing, but dressed out at 16k pounds. In tow it will drop to 8mpg, but the same load with the v10 would be 12-13mpg.

velocicaur

Established Member
Sell it before any maintenance issues come up. Diesel resale values are great. Buy something with <45k. Drop it at 100k in 3-4 years. Enjoy diesel life at a very reasonable cost.

smitty2919

Established Member
The iron LQ4 is tough as ****ing nails. It is common on 300k mile engine tear-downs to see cross hatch in the cylinder walls.

I say turbo it. An on3 kit for that truck is CHEAP as hell and bolts right on. The engine bay is huge and would be easy to work on.

1999-06 Chevy/GMC 1500 / 2500 Silverado & Sierra Truck Single Turbo System | On3Performance

Hardest part will be keeping it cool while towing. Maybe run a second, remote radiator? Also a good, quality intercooler will be a must to keep IATs down.

Give it a shot! Ive always wanted to do this myself.......... Wife and I have a 2002 3/4 Suburban with with 6.0 that just hit 200k miles a few months ago. LOVE that truck and will probably never sell it.

Yep. I'm skeptical of On3 stuff, but the point is it won't be expensive to make like someone previously mentioned. It's a turbo/WG/injectors/intercooler and some piping lol. A friend of mine owns a speed shop and we can custom fab anything we need to "for free".

Our current 03 2500 6.0 has been GREAT to us. It's the little things like cab corners rusting, extremely brittle interior plastics becoming more and more annoying and that I want a 4x4 4-door. I don't see the money spent fixing cab corners will be worth it given how much the truck is "worth".

Gas with a 5 psi air to air intercooler. All you need to keep moving on grade. Install a good aftermarket trans cooler and Universal Dual Remote Bypass System. The AMSOIL kit will add extra clean oil to the circuit and everyone is happy. Keep the turbo right sized for quick spool.

Exactly. A turbo 6.0 can be done smartly/cost effective and efficient. I do see the point of a modded 6.0 will have inherent weak points than a stock diesel due to added heat/pressure etc.

I've done some more "youtubing" (I know I know, but I do it to get varying opinions from people of all types if they bring up points I did not think of) and someone mentioned 4k-10k lbs keep to gas. Over 10k, go diesel. Granted towing frequency is a factor too. We may tow once a month during the spring/summer/fall months here in northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area. The truck will also sit 80% of the time in our driveway until we need it for Home Depot run, bring the dogs with us somewhere, or towing. It also becomes my daily during the winter. I'm not sure if it's still true to "not let a diesel sit for too long" is still a thing?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If your end game is a 24-26' enclosed car hauler and a big horse trailer with living quarters, the diesel might be the way to go. If you bought a gas truck and then had to upgrade later, you might lose out a bit more on depreciation, taxes, etc.

My old 6.2 f250 pulled my trailer just fine (24' enclosed), but my 2015 lml pulls it better. Fuel economy is better, acceleration is better, it's quieter as it does it, etc. Coming back from Topeka to Denver last week I had my trailer with my car in it, and at 70 mph I had a 20-27 mph direct head wind. The truck sat at 17-18 psi of boost for 3 hours at a time just maintaining 70 (until I had to put fuel in it). A turbo'd gas engine might concern me in a situation like that, unless you had a tow tune that would knock it down to maybe 40hp over stock.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Didn’t read all the replies but for what you’re talking about, diesel all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread