Turning off the temp protection switches

HPLouis

Established Member
I noticed that most tuners turn off these three switches, the EGR Temp Control, Flange Temp Control and Cat Temp Control but I was reading a Ford catalog and one of the things that Ford mentioned is that they don't turn these off in their tunes, making for a "safer" tune.

Are these really necessary on a tuned car? Can they be adjusted to turn on at a certain temp? I've been searching through the strategies and all I find are switches but no parameters.

For reference, my cars are basically stock with tunes. The Raptor has a catback and JLT intake, the Shelby has the same plus a Ford 65mm throttle body. The Mystichrome has the most, JLT intake, catted X pipe, 3.0 pulley and Magnaflow catback.

HPLouis

Established Member
Its to protect the Cats and emissions components.
I know but I've always wondered why tuners turn it off. I've read that it gets turned off because it's either aggressive and dumps too much fuel or it causes the tuner to lose control of fuel tuning, etc. but then then Ford catalog says to keep it turned on.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I know but I've always wondered why tuners turn it off. I've read that it gets turned off because it's either aggressive and dumps too much fuel or it causes the tuner to lose control of fuel tuning, etc. but then then Ford catalog says to keep it turned on.
Saves fuel and keeps more power. Thats the reason to turn them off. Alot of tunes actually gain mpg when keeping your foot out of it.

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
Most tuners turn them of cuz they dont understand how they work since they dont have access to all of the controls for it.

In short, flange, cat and o2 overheat protection just enrich fuel to cool the exhaust. You can see it as commanding a rich decel after wot or even commanding rich while cruising after a while. You can even hit it at wot when it commands overly enriched fuel as well in some cases.

You can kick up the temp at which protection kicks in as well as lean out the enrichment for it too in some commerical software like sct.

As long as mbt spark is calculated correctly and the tunes fueling isnt scaled or if the exotherms are scaled to suit then it should infer exhaust temps pretty accurately.

Any exhaust changes or modifications that affect spark advance or exhaust flow will alter the calculations. Most tuners just disable them since they dont have access to all the parameters to adjust it correctly and even if they did wouldnt know how to compensate correctly since there arent any models for long tubes and larger pipes, etc... since there are no known models (being that there are no factory long tube options).

Users who are viewing this thread