Turning up Idle Rpm?

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
I have a SCT Tuner and wanted to know if there are any negatives on turning up the Idle when in neutral. What I am trying to accomplish is for my car to sound a little louder at idle.

Any Negatives?
How high is too high? 1000rpm ok?

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
I have long tubes, flowmaster super 40s, cat delete, offroad xpipe....i may switch to flowmaster original 40s

not a fan of borla...sounds too turbo for my taste

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Sounds like you should just straight pipe it. That might make you happy. Just remember loud doesn't always mean good sound.

Can't say anyone has ever said my car sounds turbo.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
flowmasters in general are quite. Switch to a magnaflow
That might depend on the Flowmaster. But all the Flowmasters I've dealt with haven't been quiet. I took a set of Magnaflows off my 01 because they were barely louder than stock.

Now if you're talking Magnapacks that's a different story.

01blckcobra

Established Member
That might depend on the Flowmaster. But all the Flowmasters I've dealt with haven't been quiet. I took a set of Magnaflows off my 01 because they were barely louder than stock.

Now if you're talking Magnapacks that's a different story.
Hmm, odd. Magnaflows straight thru design is usually least effective at reducing noise compared to flowmasters chambered design. Was the magnaflows "broken in" usually they're quite at first for 200-500miles, than after they get slightly louder. Personal experience and customer experience the mangaflows have always been slight louder vs flowmaster deep rumbling tune. Wot - magnaflows were by far the loudest.

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
It seems the best flowmasters are the super 10s or the original 40s. The delta flow technology is great for reducing drone but it also quiets down the muffler quite a bit as well

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Hmm, odd. Magnaflows straight thru design is usually least effective at reducing noise compared to flowmasters chambered design. Was the magnaflows "broken in" usually they're quite at first for 200-500miles, than after they get slightly louder. Personal experience and customer experience the mangaflows have always been slight louder vs flowmaster deep rumbling tune. Wot - magnaflows were by far the loudest.
I bought them used and they were on my car a couple month IIRC. At the time it was a daily so hitting that mileage wasn't a problem.

My 04 had Flows and an O/R X when I bought it. I don't know the series, but it was loud. It wasn't bad sounding really. I swapped all that out for my catted X and Stingers because of personal preference. Those Flows ended up on a buddies car with an O/R H and sounded really good. We were both about the same volume wise. Another friend has Magnaflows and an O/R X and he would get drowned out if the two of us punched it. His car sounds good, but it's the quietest of us all.

There's always the path my son took. He had one chambers with an O/R H on his 99 GT. Sounded mean for a stock 2v. I'm sure it droned like hell, but his 12" sub covered all that up.

01blckcobra

Established Member
I bought them used and they were on my car a couple month IIRC. At the time it was a daily so hitting that mileage wasn't a problem.

My 04 had Flows and an O/R X when I bought it. I don't know the series, but it was loud. It wasn't bad sounding really. I swapped all that out for my catted X and Stingers because of personal preference. Those Flows ended up on a buddies car with an O/R H and sounded really good. We were both about the same volume wise. Another friend has Magnaflows and an O/R X and he would get drowned out if the two of us punched it. His car sounds good, but it's the quietest of us all.

There's always the path my son took. He had one chambers with an O/R H on his 99 GT. Sounded mean for a stock 2v. I'm sure it droned like hell, but his 12" sub covered all that up.

Lol badass 12"s to cover that up. Single chamber flowmasters would definitely be louder.
Mostly did the 40s and magnaflow. First start up magnaflows were quiter but after warming them up a few times always seem slightly louder. Everyone has deferent experiences i guess.
Hated the flowmaster cause of that drone. Hated the rasp from the magnaflows.
Been running Burns ultalight race muffler nice in between.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I noted you said your goal was to be louder "at idle"... seems to me that what you are wanting is just as much related to the tone of the exhaust note as you are the decibel level. For most people, the lower the note the louder the sound appears to be. I've got two mustangs (see sig for mods) and the 03 with stock H-pipe and Stingers seems louder at idle due to it's lower note - but the 01 with JBA shorties, catted X & Magnapacks are certainly louder at WOT. Something worth considering ;-)

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
I noted you said your goal was to be louder "at idle"... seems to me that what you are wanting is just as much related to the tone of the exhaust note as you are the decibel level. For most people, the lower the note the louder the sound appears to be. I've got two mustangs (see sig for mods) and the 03 with stock H-pipe and Stingers seems louder at idle due to it's lower note - but the 01 with JBA shorties, catted X & Magnapacks are certainly louder at WOT. Something worth considering ;-)

This is a great point that you have raised. I have not considered this. I raised the Idle just so the tone wouldnt be so quiet in neutral. I am not a fan of the super 40s at all.

Users who are viewing this thread