Turns over but wont start

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
EDIT: I have the EXACT same issue as http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/812061-need-help-asap-engine-related.html. I'll follow his thread

Problems started yesterday, the intercooler reservoir started sucking in air through this hole LOUDLY (imagine blowing on a plastic straw)

reservoir.jpg

Noticed the noise as I was driving home, car drove home ok, but seemed to bog down under boost towards the end.

Possible cause: We had a deep freeze the night before and I found out there was just water in the reservoir. Figured there was a possibility of damage, but nothing confirmed.

While trying to diagnose the noise, I started the car to move it to my work area. Car ran for ~30 seconds just fine.

Everything seemed ok so tried to start it to move it back to its parking spot about an hour later, the car turned over but wouldn't start. Not even a glimmer of starting. If it caught at all it was a millisecond.

Turning the key -> can hear the fuel pump priming. Checked all fuses under the hood and all were good. Thoughts?

Last edited:

willis414

Established Member
That's the vent, possibly a frozen line so there was no flow of IC water. The sound is from the pressure of the blockage.
or...the IC under the blower has a hole and engine vacuum is making the noise. By drawing air through the system.
Check your oil, plugs and fluids......
These cars have a limp mode to prevent further damage. If you disconnect you battery for a minute, reconnect and see if it starts.
Check your fluids!!!!!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Possible cause: We had a deep freeze the night before and I found out there was just water in the reservoir. Figured there was a possibility of damage, but nothing confirmed.

where did the car sit over night, while this deep freeze occured?

add some anti-freeze to your IC tank ASAP, if you havent already!!!

if the water that was in your IC froze, while the car was sitting over night (during the big freeze) then you are screwed, and more than likely your IC is cracked as well....and this would prob be the cause of your no start.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

If the intercooler cracked and filled the heads with fluid, you could hydrolock the motor. I have seen it happen a few times. The others were lucky enough to catch it before it got that far.

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
I'm pretty sure I've got a cracked intercooler, ripping it all apart this weekend to take a look.

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks for the responses. Is there a good guide/book/dvd out there like a Haynes that may help with the teardown?

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
If everything checks out ok... You can get a rag and soak it in gasoline and hold it to the intake/tb and try to start it then.

Users who are viewing this thread