Two killed in Hellcat Challenger speed/test run at Colorado airport.

Recon

Established Member
This by no means the manufacturers fault. It's when people get in a high HP car that shouldn't be in one. Some people will have no discipline when it comes to that much power; which demands you respect it or face the consequences. There was a time that only supercars had that kind of power. Now you have Muscle cars that have supercar power and are much more affordable than a Ferrari or high end Porsche. So when people go from a Jap 4 banger to say a C7Z, Hellcat, Trinity, etc. that have no discipline/experience with that kind of power. It's a recipe for disaster.
This is why I think there should be a mandatory driving class when buying the high end muscle cars of today. That much power could get you killed quick; if you're not ready for it.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
1e7b5306045b118fc6a059229694a242858b5e5d1a66236cc32550ff7cb7190b.jpg

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I noticed that as well. The article says they rocketed off the runway, as if they never saw the end of it. They went beyond the end by 314 ft. Sure sounds like the driver never hit the brakes. It doesn't mention that they were familiar with the runway or had run on it before. Heart attack? One of those mysteries that may never have an answer.

Here's a larger photo of the airport runway. You can see the end more clearly. They would have started at '15' and lost control at '33'.
FBO-594-imageid-2154.jpg

314 ft is just when it started flipping. They ended up 650 ft beyond the runway. An 1/8 mile!

It wasn't the hp that killed them it was just stupidity. The runway is 1.5 miles long. A car with half that power will kill you if you barrel off the end of it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I wonder what speed the car had achieved before this happened. I'm sure the computer is holding some interesting information.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It wasn't the hp that killed them it was just stupidity. The runway is 1.5 miles long. A car with half that power will kill you if you barrel off the end of it.

Even a miata would kill you at the 90 mph it achieved after 1.5 miles of buried throttle.

I wonder what speed the car had achieved before this happened. I'm sure the computer is holding some interesting information.

I was thinking about that, at that elevation, at least 170.

Bioburner

Established Member
Theres a slippery slope. Toyota had issues with a bad fitting floor matts
I had a device that had speed limiter until it had so many miles put on.
Are we going to have to have gps activated speed zones only unlocking at race tracks? Several flying drone manufactures restrict the ability to fly close to restricted areas without getting signed off.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The other question, who gets sued for wrongful death? Dodge? the airport? the driver? All of the above?

Two individuals enter a vehicle knowing what its capabilities are and what they are trying to achieve. Unfortunately the airport will be sued because somehow it is responsible for the actions of two morons.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Jeremy Clarkson I believe has actually talked about doing speed runs on airports. They are so wide, you can't tell how far away the end of the runway is. They always had to erect YUGE signs to mark when to hit the brakes, otherwise by the time you knew to brake, you would be 50 feet from the end.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
The driver needed to put on his glasses, as we age our vision may not be so good. May they rest in peace and prayers for their families.

Users who are viewing this thread