Two killed in Hellcat Challenger speed/test run at Colorado airport.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just saw on the news that two men were killed while using the runway at a small Colorado airport to test drive a 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat. The Hellcat crashed after rocketing off the runway at the Buena Vista Regional Airport Friday, becoming airborne and sailing across a ravine, the Denver Post reported. The two men had permission to run on the airport runway. Sounds like they were too fast for the runway length they used and lost control when the driver realized they were nearing the end of the runway. After striking the ground the Hellcat “became airborne a second time flipping end over end over a second ravine before coming to rest on its wheels.” Deputies found the wreckage about 650 feet past the runway.

The airport boasts on its website having the longest mountain runway in Colorado at 8,300 feet, or more than a mile and a half.

Here's a link to the news article on Fox News.
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/09...dge-challenger-hellcat-on-airport-runway.html

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
tumblr_omin93byoW1udl48so1_500.gif

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Eh, I guess I can kinda see how it would happen.

You can be hauling ass on a runway, but the stripes make it look like you're crawling. They probably just couldn't see the end of the runway.

gt347mustang

Established Member
A friend sent me this article too. We both noticed there was no mention of skid marks or attempts to brake at the end of the runway... makes you wonder.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A friend sent me this article too. We both noticed there was no mention of skid marks or attempts to brake at the end of the runway... makes you wonder.
I noticed that as well. The article says they rocketed off the runway, as if they never saw the end of it. They went beyond the end by 314 ft. Sure sounds like the driver never hit the brakes. It doesn't mention that they were familiar with the runway or had run on it before. Heart attack? One of those mysteries that may never have an answer.

Here's a larger photo of the airport runway. You can see the end more clearly. They would have started at '15' and lost control at '33'.
FBO-594-imageid-2154.jpg

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Eh, I guess I can kinda see how it would happen.

You can be hauling ass on a runway, but the stripes make it look like you're crawling. They probably just couldn't see the end of the runway.

Especially when they were aged into their 70s.
I can see how it would happen as well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just found this in another news report.
"Monday morning Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said investigators found skid marks near the end of the runway. He did not know the length of the marks." So that kind of confirms it was likely a case of the driver going too fast and did see the end of the runway until it was on him.

Users who are viewing this thread