Two more excellent reasons to hate Treynor

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
It's ridiculous to say, but that was extremely fun to watch after playing Forza for so many years.

Very very nice Ben. Hope to see many videos in the future.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Wonder what it feels like when you have spent 300k on a track car only to be passed by Treynor like you are in reverse.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Is this your Ferrari @treynor

938672226465_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=9e2e56&_nc_ohc=z-Jy8PlsQEQAX99y_dL&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.jpg

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'd love to see Ben out there doing it fo'real. His vids certainly shows he has some talent. Would remind me of Crowdstrike's CEO Kurtz who runs in GT World Challenge.

Established Member
I've never driven the kind of equipment on the big end you get to play with, but its harder to me to race the low HP cars than the big ones. Any thoughts? Unless you have a monster miata with twin turbos as your baby car.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
How did this work? 25 hrs by yourself or did you have another driver? I watched #63 Miata for a brief moment now and it looked pretty sweet. Specs on the Miata? The video looked like there was some pretty stout competition passing or getting waived on. *edit* just watched some more of the wet weather driving and I don't think I could do that. I'd get hypnotized by the rain and the wipers. How did you do it?
Dup.

FWIW, I do some "real" racing in addition to my usual shenanigans. I placed 2nd in the 25 hours of Thunder Hill last December in a spec Miata. In mud. That was crazy.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
How did this work? 25 hrs by yourself or did you have another driver? I watched #63 Miata for a brief moment now and it looked pretty sweet. Specs on the Miata? The video looked like there was some pretty stout competition passing or getting waived on. *edit* just watched some more of the wet weather driving and I don't think I could do that. I'd get hypnotized by the rain and the wipers. How did you do it?
Theres 24 hour lemons races all over the US. Just look up 24 hour lemons. Although not sure Ben would participate in racing lemons... lol he races gold.

blk02edge

Established Member
I've never driven the kind of equipment on the big end you get to play with, but its harder to me to race the low HP cars than the big ones. Any thoughts? Unless you have a monster miata with twin turbos as your baby car.
Things change... A LOT... When you are racing wheel to wheel in a big field. Even in a 120hp spec Miata, things get pretty intense. More so than just lapping 500hp cars.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

It was me and three other drivers; we'd rotate through 90-minute driving stints throughout the 25 hours of the race. It was my first time racing a spec miata, and also my first time driving a car at Thunder Hill (I'd ridden there on motorcycles in the early '90s). The Miata made a whopping 120 HP at the tires IIRC, no ABS, no traction control, manual gearbox -- just you and the car. It was an intense experience because there's everything in the 25H from LMP cars running 30 sec/lap quicker, to a NASCAR car, to Mustangs, to us and 8 other miatas in the spec group.

Adding to the fun, it rained (poured) at the start of the race, then dried out, then periodically rained through the entire event. People would go off the track and come back on, bringing mud with them. Over the course of the race, the track gradually built up mud in every single corner, and instead of a rain line there was a mud-free line. Stray a tire width off it, and traction went down by >50%. And it changed each lap as the mud moved. It was common for the drivers to ask, as they rotated into the car, "so... what sort of sh**show is it out there right now?" Add to that mix nighttime and much faster traffic, and it was an intense experience.

I know racers all exaggerate. Here's an actual picture from the event, around hour 20. I'm in the #15 car; the orange M3 tried to pass on the outside entering T3, got off the mud line, and slid off the track. He rejoined and tracked more mud onto the track. Just another lap in the 25 hours...

FullSizeR.jpg

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

I'd say each category has its challenges. Low-HP cars make you focus on preserving mid-corner speed - there's only one line through the corner, the one which scrubs the minimum speed and lets you mat the throttle as early as possible. In racing, as I discovered, there's the added element of constantly managing approaching traffic, and letting them through in a way which doesn't compromise your lap.

High-HP cars make you focus on throttle application at corner exit; you're generally never going to just nail the throttle (unless you enjoy 360 degree views of the scenery) and so the balancing act between taking cornering load out of the car and getting the power down is a careful dance. Otherwise they're similar - braking's the same, corner entry's the same. Things are happening faster in the big-HP cars as you approach the braking zone, but that just means the braking marker is earlier.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice to read your racing comments, Ben. I've never raced on a road course and I can really appreciate the honed skills you've developed. Racing, among other things, is in your blood.

Users who are viewing this thread