Unbelievable. More problems with MSX (READ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Someone From Msx Needs To Call Me Or The Shop Right Now And Answer Your Phones.
You all remember my other thread posted about the multiple delays about shipping, promised failed shipping dates, etc. Well that all got straightened out. My motor was FINALLY shipped, and it got here today (4/12) after being ordered on the week following the superbowl (2/4). And the motor is perfect and just as described, right? Wrong. Unfortunately, luck is not on my side so far this year. First, i'm going to tell you guys what i ordered from MSX, and what I recieved.

What I ordered:

-Complete, BRAND NEW shortblock, including forged MANLEY pistons/rods. The shortblock of course including the oil pump and valve covers.
-'03 Lightning heads
-Oil pan

What I got
-USED SHORTBLOCK!! There is silicone all over the shortblock. The crankshaft is rusty. THERE is sawdust all over the buttom of the motor from the poor shipping quality!!
-PROBE pistons. What the f#ck are probe pistons?? Why didn't I get Manley pistons like as advertised???
-NO Oil pan. I specifically told MSX to put an oil pan on. Well there is no oil pan.
-NO OIL PUMP - this motor did not come with an oil pump
-No valve covers

*UPDATE*

The Inside Of The Shortblock Is FILTHY. The Pistons Are Too Small For The Cylinders So The Rings That Go Around It Barely Fit, So Compression Is Going To Be Horrible. THIS BETTER BE THE WRONG MOTOR.

Now, let's get to the heads. Yes, I purchased them used. BUT the heads were NOT cleaned at all, and the cam journals are visibly Scored! There is dirt and oil all over everything, all inside the heads. I have to take the heads off now, and send them to champion heads in south FLA to have them checked and cleaned out.

The entire motor is covered in dirt, oil and silicone, I have different pistons then advertised, there is no oil pimp, no oil pan, the heads are FILTHY and scored, the shortblock is USED, the crank is rusty, and there's no valve covers.

Before the motor was shipped, Billy offered to take my old heads and port/polish them, put in bigger valves, etc. for free, as a thank you to me for being patient and putting up with the delays. Well, my stock heads were completely destroyed, metal shot up in both of them when my engine blew destroying everything, so they had to be discarded. So, that' won't happen, but at this point it's the least of my concerns!!

We (shop and I) have called MSX a million times and have recieved no returned calls. ASSUMING my heads aren't damaged, it will still cost me $300 to have them inspected and cleaned. When the heads get back, my guy is going to take apart part of the Shortblock to make sure everything else is right, to make sure I have the right rods and that everything was put together properly!

I'm soo pissed off right now I don't even know what to think. For the amount of time/money this is going to end up costing I could have had a professionally built and complete motor in less than half the time for the same price or maybe a little more.

If MSX is reading this, Call my shop immediently @ 407-695-4549 (LaMotta Performance).

Last edited:

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
That right there is enough to make me Mad.....
Sounds like you got crap, for what you spent. I would take pictures and show them to Billy himself. Thats just not cool.:nonono:

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Tazman1 said:
That right there is enough to make me Mad.....
Sounds like you got crap, for what you spent. I would take pictures and show them to Billy himself. Thats just not cool.:nonono:

My shop told me to take pictures but all I had was my phone. I will GLADLY take pictures for EVERYONE HERE including MSX to show them. When I say dirt, I mean the heads are CAKED with dirt. When I say oil, I mean the entire motor is wet with oil!!!!!! And when I say rusty crank, even the pulley is rusty!!!!!!!!

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Who packed the block for you. Is there a name for the person who packaged it for you? Sounds like someone sent you the wrong block?

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Wow you have alot of patience.
Sucks to hear about your experience.
Hopefully they will own up and correct everything.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
holy crap that sounds bad. i hope that maybe you got the wrong engine by accident, or something messed up with the shipping company.. that sounds horrible. i cant imagine msx doing something like that on purpose after reading everything billy had to say. ill be looking forward to hear his side of it. sorry you had so much trouble man, that really sucks.

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Tazman1 said:
Who packed the block for you. Is there a name for the person who packaged it for you? Sounds like someone sent you the wrong block?

well I was told it would be shipped FedEX but it was some f#cking company called "Roadway"...I have no idea who packed my motor.

Well unless someone else ordered '03 Lightning heads with an MSX shortblock it's not the wrong motor. Now I have to pay my guy to open the motor up just to f#cking make sure it was put together properly, after getting "probe" pistons Jake (my guy) said there's no way he's going to install this motor without personally making sure it's not a peice of shit.

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
MMShaggy said:
Wow you have alot of patience.
Sucks to hear about your experience.
Hopefully they will own up and correct everything.

Thanks man. But what else can I have besides patience?? The other choice would be driving myself insane with rage, what good would that do? MSX is all the way across the USA, it's not like I can drive over there. My only outlet right now is to burn my frustrations off at the gym.\

Again, if MSX is reading this call my shop immediently at 407-695-4549 (LaMotta Performance).

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
i'm subscribing because i was looking at MSX for my motor needs, and have been following your threads

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Dusten said:
i'm subscribing because i was looking at MSX for my motor needs, and have been following your threads

$3175 SB + $500 heads/gaskets + $250 shipping + $300 to get heads sent off and cleaned/inspected + labor for taking SB apart to inspect it because it has foreign pistons and arrived as a mess with missing parts way, way late. Calling a lawyer and filing a lawsuit is starting to cross my mind.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
just further evidence that these big name builders have piss-poor business practices :rolleyes:

IBTL!!!!

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
MMCustomworks said:
Jake ain't cheap, I learned that real quick.

Yes. We've done soo much business with him though, I'm sure he will cut me a deal. We've spent thousands of dollars at his shop.

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
mc01svt said:
just further evidence that these big name builders have piss-poor business practices :rolleyes:

IBTL!!!!

Why should this be locked? I am posting my god honest experiences and need to vent to the lightning community for help and feedback, and to forewarn other people. Constant delays in shipping is one thing but this is outrageous. I am extremely upset about all of this, it is UNACCEPTABLE.

Dusten

Established Member
Craig Mack said:
Why should this be locked? I am posting my god honest experiences and need to vent to the lightning community for help and feedback, and to forewarn other people. Constant delays in shipping is one thing but this is outrageous. I am extremely upset about all of this, it is UNACCEPTABLE.
I agree, he hasnt slammed anyone personally, and is willing to provide proof of these screw ups.
SV or not, this is unacceptable

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Craig Mack said:

I feel your pain, but since MSX is a supporter of this site I can't see how this thread will stay open long. Not to mention all those who will defend vendors to the death, despite threads like this coming up repeatedly. :read:

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Craig Mack said:
$3175 SB + $500 heads/gaskets + $250 shipping + $300 to get heads sent off and cleaned/inspected + labor for taking SB apart to inspect it because it has foreign pistons and arrived as a mess with missing parts way, way late. Calling a lawyer and filing a lawsuit is starting to cross my mind.
It's a shame you have to go through these headaches......
If you were thinking about fixing the motor here and sending them the bill, unfortunately, I don't think you can legally do that.
MSX must first be given the opportunity to fix their mistakes unless they agree otherwise in advance.
If you dissasemble the motor yourself before notifying them, they may also have some problems with that.
I hope they serialized (stamped numbers) on all their work or you may expect more trouble getting them to admit that's the motor they built and sent you.
All good engine builders serialize and document every piece they put in their motors in order to avoid being scammed by customers later on.
Good luck man.

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Dusten said:
I agree, he hasnt slammed anyone personally, and is willing to provide proof of these screw ups.
SV or not, this is unacceptable

I have been a member of this site for 3 years, have never flamed any company EVER. It would give ANYTHING to NOT have these problems. I would give anything to have gotten what I paid for on time, so that I could kiss MSX's balls and praise them all day long. But this is about the worst situation anyone could be in, other then not recieving a motor at all. The Lightning community NEEDS to know these things. I DO NOT want others wasting THEIR hard earned thousands without knowing the risks first and knowing what may happen!! What the hell is the point of these forums otherwise??

Has anyone ever heard of probe pistons? Jake told me they are forged, and that if anything goes it will be the rods and not the pistons, but it is the principle of installing some part I didn't order. It also leads me to believe the rest of the motor may not be what I was told it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread