Unhappy with Hawk Ceramic Pads - Review

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I wanted to give a shout out to anyone thinking of spending the $100 for new Hawk ceramic front pads for our 03/04 Cobras. The install went fine, put lots of goop on the back of the pads to help prevent squeeks, bedded them in per instructions, a couple of weeks later here is my opinion:

The pads squeek like mad under medium to light braking (like coming up to a stoplight) - it is very embarrasing to pull up in a nice high performance pony car and it sounds like you are driving a 1974 Pinto :mj: The pads dust like crazy - about as much or more as the stock pads. I wash the car and by the time I get home I have a haze on the chromies. After two days it looks like total crap. They do stop like mad, but considering the specs on Lethal Performance's website claims they are ultra-low dusting and extremely quiet - I am more than just a little dissapointed. No slam against Lethal - they seem like straight up guys and a good vendor, but may want to consider changing their description of these pads as it is nowhere close to accurate. The back seem to be fine - no noise or dust :shrug:

IMO - anyone looking for low dust, low noise pads should look elswhere. I would return the pads but didn't save the box :nonono: I guess it will just be a $100 lesson learned.

Dan

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Recently purchased both back and front set for my car. I had heard only good things about them till now. I haven't actually installed them yet, but would be interested in what others who use the Hawk Ceramics think.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Which Hawk pad?

The hps is not as bad as the hp+.

IMHO, you really shouldn't be suprised by the noise and dust, many of us who have been using them for a while have reported high noise and dust.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
DD2000GT said:
I wanted to give a shout out to anyone thinking of spending the $100 for new Hawk ceramic front pads for our 03/04 Cobras. The install went fine, put lots of goop on the back of the pads to help prevent squeeks, bedded them in per instructions, a couple of weeks later here is my opinion:

The pads squeek like mad under medium to light braking (like coming up to a stoplight) - it is very embarrasing to pull up in a nice high performance pony car and it sounds like you are driving a 1974 Pinto :mj: The pads dust like crazy - about as much or more as the stock pads. I wash the car and by the time I get home I have a haze on the chromies. After two days it looks like total crap. They do stop like mad, but considering the specs on Lethal Performance's website claims they are ultra-low dusting and extremely quiet - I am more than just a little dissapointed. No slam against Lethal - they seem like straight up guys and a good vendor, but may want to consider changing their description of these pads as it is nowhere close to accurate. The back seem to be fine - no noise or dust :shrug:

IMO - anyone looking for low dust, low noise pads should look elswhere. I would return the pads but didn't save the box :nonono: I guess it will just be a $100 lesson learned.

Dan

I have the same friggin problem!!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
007Paul said:
Recently purchased both back and front set for my car. I had heard only good things about them till now. I haven't actually installed them yet, but would be interested in what others who use the Hawk Ceramics think.

That is the reason I bought them. I searched the archives and researched the best low dust performance pad I could get. There was some discussion about squeeks, but most guys said it was because the other guys did not put the anti-squeek goop (which IS NOT included with the $100 pads) on the back. I bought some and made sure to put plenty everywhere the pads came in contact with anything else. I have done several brake jobs, so I am not a noobie to this either. I put NAPA ceramics on my wifes Expedition (you think the stock Cobra pads dust bad - you should see what the stock Expedition pads do!) and they are as quiet as can be and is indeed ultra low dusting, so this is what I expected in the Hawk pads...

Dan

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Can't really speak for Hawks but I like my Raybestos ceramics! I hardly listen or follow the crowd. So many said the Raybestos were worthless and to go with Hawks but they worked out fine for me. :shrug:

Blaine

Established Member
The hawks are great. The will last a Long time under extreme braking.

You did the goop on the back. *** There is also stuff you put on the fronts which reduce squelling!!!*** Mine never make any noise until the pad is extremely low.

MY ONLY complaint is that they are messy. Always have brake dust buildup. Not a very clean pad.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
I was thinking of switching to ceramics to reduce brake dust. Thanks for the feedback.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I get zero brake dust with the raysbestos pads. If I do it's surely not visible at all. I also recommended them to a few guys in the MACA and it's served them well. As long as I own this car I'll never use another pad. You can order their ceramics from www.rockauto.com

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
DD2000GT said:
That is the reason I bought them. I searched the archives and researched the best low dust performance pad I could get. There was some discussion about squeeks, but most guys said it was because the other guys did not put the anti-squeek goop (which IS NOT included with the $100 pads) on the back. I bought some and made sure to put plenty everywhere the pads came in contact with anything else. I have done several brake jobs, so I am not a noobie to this either. I put NAPA ceramics on my wifes Expedition (you think the stock Cobra pads dust bad - you should see what the stock Expedition pads do!) and they are as quiet as can be and is indeed ultra low dusting, so this is what I expected in the Hawk pads...

Dan
I use d the NAPA safty stop pads (ceramics) on all 4 and have NO problems with dust, stoping power & they are quiet!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Sonic03inSC said:
I use d the NAPA safty stop pads (ceramics) on all 4 and have NO problems with dust, stoping power & they are quiet!

Thanks for the reply - looks like I will be making a trip to my local NAPA store just up the road at lunchtime. The squeeling is driving me NUTS!

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
DD2000GT said:
Thanks for the reply - looks like I will be making a trip to my local NAPA store just up the road at lunchtime. The squeeling is driving me NUTS!
Make sure you seat them first thing after install!

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
I've used the Hawk HPS (not ceramic) pads on my mach1, super quite and low dust, did'nt use goop either. part# HB111F.610

TenthScale

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I get zero brake dust with the raysbestos pads. If I do it's surely not visible at all. I also recommended them to a few guys in the MACA and it's served them well. As long as I own this car I'll never use another pad. You can order their ceramics from www.rockauto.com

Looks like the Quite Stop ones are the ones to get.. Supposed to be no dust..

I checked out the website you suggested the rears seem not a bad price either.

You got the PGD627QS?

I might go ahead and order some.. just need to find some new rotors too.

03yellow

Established Member
Same here..No dust/ great pad!!!

Dust=Noise :mj:
No dust= no noise :-D

Sonic03inSC said:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
TenthScale said:
Looks like the Quite Stop ones are the ones to get.. Supposed to be no dust..

I checked out the website you suggested the rears seem not a bad price either.

You got the PGD627QS?

I might go ahead and order some.. just need to find some new rotors too.
Yup! I got those. I bought ceramics (Quiet Stop) for the front and rear.

TenthScale

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Yup! I got those. I bought ceramics (Quiet Stop) for the front and rear.
sweet I noticed I can get them from Kragen for only $4 more.. I might have to pick up some rears today or tomorrow.. Mine have been making noise alot (the stockers).

Mac25

Established Member
I had issues with the hawk pads on my old snake. Lots of noise and lots of dust :bored: I hated the noise more than the dust!! Stopped on a dime though.....

Users who are viewing this thread