United Airlines New "Passenger Removal" Tactics

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Good thing the founding fathers of this country didn't subscribe to the "comply and do what you're told" mentality of some of you in this thread. Or how about all those trouble maker African Americans in the south back in the 60's? Another example of people that should have just complied and done as they were told?

Comparing that to the civil rights movement in the 60's. NICE.

You'd be removed either the easy way or the hard way.

Or the United Way.

As a matter a fact, if everyone on this forum were each placed in a similar scenario, I think a significantly large amount of you would’ve done something similar.

No.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The flight as I know was oversold (common occurrence in the airline industry, hard concept to understand unless you're in airline operations/management).

It wasn't oversold, just full, and no you don't have to be in airline management to know that airlines sell more tickets than seats banking on a percentage of passengers not showing up. Since 41,000 people last year got bumped involuntarily I'd say they might want to change their algorithms

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
It wasn't oversold, just full, and no you don't have to be in airline management to know that airlines sell more tickets than seats banking on a percentage of passengers not showing up. Since 41,000 people last year got bumped involuntarily I'd say they might want to change their algorithms
Nto over-sales etc....o you're right bud.....they do sell more tickets usually hoping some people don't show, but if they do, they turn in
I was bumped probably 5 times over a 2 year period when I travelled more often. Not one voucher. I don't know if it's becoming more common now.....
Hmm, interesting insight bud. They might only Hand out vouchers if you "volunteer" to give up your seat, instead of being "bumped" etc....I doubt they do it for "every" instance but I have heard of it being done before.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
No ya you're right bud. I thought it was oversold, my mistake.....sorry for the mis-info. People get bumped, airlines sell more seats then available, but I guess what I'm trying to say is "some" passengers don't understand why the airlines sell more tickets then what the airplane can seat, especially those who don't fly much. It seems you understand, which is good! I've seen people throw their luggage around in terminals, yelling at gate agents, etc. They don't get it.......

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
Hmm, interesting insight bud. They might only Hand out vouchers if you "volunteer" to give up your seat, instead of being "bumped" etc....I doubt they do it for "every" instance but I have heard of it being done before.

I realized I don't travel / fly well, and avoid traveling by air if possible. :) Back when I was, I randomly got picked six flights in a row for additional security screenings. If there's luggage to lose, it's usually mine. And I've been bumped more times than I like to remember. One of those instances that stands out: I had to fly from Philly to Atlanta for the first day of a new job. It was two hours to Philly from my home, so I kenneled my dogs late Sunday morning and trekked up to Philly for an early afternoon flight. After parking my car and going through all of the pre-flight stuff (baggage check, security screenings, etc), I get to the gate and learn I might not have a seat. Turns out that I didn't (oversold), but there was another flight leaving later in the evening that MIGHT be able to accommodate me. I struck out there, too. And then got shot down when I explained my situation and inquired about a hotel comp. My choices were to sleep in the terminal, pay for a hotel room in Philly, or drive two hours home and two hours back. And still had to call my new employer to tell them I wasn't going to be there on the first day.

So I can definitely empathize with this passenger. But even with all of my bad experiences, I've never had security called on me. lol

Klay

Established Member
Really? You've never used your money to purchase a good/service and been dissatisfied with it? McDonald's has always got your order correct? UPS has always delivered your package on time? The mechanic has never messed up on your car?? Lol what fairytale world do you live in?

It's called doing business. Sometimes businesses mess up and if they mess up enough they don't survive as a business.

Does it suck getting booted off a plane due to the airline messing up? Absolutely.
Does it give you a right to not comply with the rules and regulations you said you would when you purchased your ticket? Absolutely not.

Hey next time McDonald's screws up and gives your order away but offers money to correct your order, you should yell and screw like a bitch until the cops come then don't comply when they tell you to leave until they drag you out.
Tell me who will be in the right then.

You're not making any sense. No one said businesses don't screw up. That's a given. My example wasn't to illustrate McDonalds screwing up. It was to illustrate you not getting what you paid for and essentially being told "oh well".

The problem here that you and others are missing is that United airlines forcibly removed this PAYING customer who paid for a specific flight at a specific time. They did it simply because they wanted their employees to be on the flight. A move that undoubtedly was due to them trying to save money at this customers expense.

If you're ok with companies not giving you what you paid for and then not caring if you like it or not, then no amount of logic will ever get through to you. You're essentially are ok with horrible customer service.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
No ya you're right bud. I thought it was oversold, my mistake.....sorry for the mis-info. People get bumped, airlines sell more seats then available, but I guess what I'm trying to say is "some" passengers don't understand why the airlines sell more tickets then what the airplane can seat, especially those who don't fly much. It seems you understand, which is good! I've seen people throw their luggage around in terminals, yelling at gate agents, etc. They don't get it.......

I've been screwed a few times but I never got bumped and I never had the police drag me around lol.

You're not making any sense. No one said businesses don't screw up. That's a given. My example wasn't to illustrate McDonalds screwing up. It was to illustrate you not getting what you paid for and essentially being told "oh well".

The problem here that you and others are missing is that United airlines forcibly removed this PAYING customer who paid for a specific flight at a specific time. They did it simply because they wanted their employees to be on the flight. A move that undoubtedly was due to them trying to save money at this customers expense.

If you're ok with companies not giving you what you paid for and then not caring if you like it or not, then no amount of logic will ever get through to you. You're essentially are ok with horrible customer service.

Read the agreement. They reserve the right to remove you. Federal law allows it. Federal law also allows overbooking. If you (not you specifically but anyone) don't like it, well you can travel another way or just deal with it.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I've been screwed a few times but I never got bumped and I never had the police drag me around lol.

Read the agreement. They reserve the right to remove you. Federal law allows it. Federal law also allows overbooking. If you (not you specifically but anyone) don't like it, well you can travel another way or just deal with it.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean its good customer service or how you should treat a customer. It certainly turned out to be bad for pr.

You're basically saying that as customers we should accept poor customer service practices and or that the federal government should set those standards?

jbs$

Established Member
United used force to remove a properly seated, paying passenger when they should have just kept raising the offering to get a proper paying passenger to give up their seat. For what United will end up paying for this goat screwing, offering lifetime free air passes to the entire passenger list would have been far cheaper. Remember, corporate rules do not carry the force of law and corporations cannot act as if they do.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Just because it's legal doesn't mean its good customer service or how you should treat a customer. It certainly turned out to be bad for pr.

You're basically saying that as customers we should accept poor customer service practices and or that the federal government should set those standards?

No, I'm saying if you do not agree with the law or the policy there are ways to go about it that don't involve committing a felony and disrupting other people's travel. In reality this is a very rare thing. Last year .006% of travelers were involuntarily bumped from flights. That is miniscule.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
No, I'm saying if you do not agree with the law or the policy there are ways to go about it that don't involve committing a felony and disrupting other people's travel.

And do what, write a letter about how angry your are and post a bad review on yelp?

That will change things...

terrible one

American Made
Established Member

1. They didn't say oh well they offered other means to correct their mistake. Again this happens in the buisness world all the time.

2. United didn't forcibly remove anyone. Chicago airport police did. Yes he paid for a ticket at a certain time and place. But guess what in the airline industry you don't ALWAYS leave at a certain time / place. Planes have maintenance issues, emergency landings, weather concerns, etc and get rerouted / delayed every day. Deal with it. So they wanted THEIR employees on a plane over you, so what? If an airline treats you so poorly stop flying with them.
I've been delayed to an overboarding issue and was sent on a taxi to another airport to fly on another plane before. Be an adult. I didn't kick and scream cuz my seat was given away.

3. I'm not ok with horrible customer service but again this happens in the business world. No company makes zero mistakes. Stop being so entitled with "companies not giving you what you paid for" BS. I just posted a thread about having a POS Samsung tv brand new, that had a lot of issues. Called customer service was treated poorly and got something other than what I paid for. You know what I'm going to do? Stop buying Samsung products. Pretty simple if you ask me. Companies with long strings of bad customer service don't survive. So if united treats people so poorly then they won't survive.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Stop it Sir.

Common sense gets you nowhere in this thread. Apparently, if things dont go your way, you are entitled to kick/scream while inconveniencing everyone else.

**** it, might as well go for the Gold and challenge the police by not complying.

After all, once you pay for a ticket, the plane belongs to you to do as you please.

1. They didn't say oh well they offered other means to correct their mistake. Again this happens in the buisness world all the time.

2. United didn't forcibly remove anyone. Chicago airport police did. Yes he paid for a ticket at a certain time and place. But guess what in the airline industry you don't ALWAYS leave at a certain time / place. Planes have maintenance issues, emergency landings, weather concerns, etc and get rerouted / delayed every day. Deal with it. So they wanted THEIR employees on a plane over you, so what? If an airline treats you so poorly stop flying with them.
I've been delayed to an overboarding issue and was sent on a taxi to another airport to fly on another plane before. Be an adult. I didn't kick and scream cuz my seat was given away.

3. I'm not ok with horrible customer service but again this happens in the business world. No company makes zero mistakes. Stop being so entitled with "companies not giving you what you paid for" BS. I just posted a thread about having a POS Samsung tv brand new, that had a lot of issues. Called customer service was treated poorly and got something other than what I paid for. You know what I'm going to do? Stop buying Samsung products. Pretty simple if you ask me. Companies with long strings of bad customer service don't survive. So if united treats people so poorly then they won't survive.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
And do what, write a letter about how angry your are and post a bad review on yelp?

That will change things...

Contact a lawyer. Acting like a butthead on an aircraft is not the solution because you will lose and rightfully so.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

1. Actually, worse then "Oh Well", the exacerbated the issue. They didn't offer any other means to correct the issue. As mentioned they had plenty of other solutions.

Solutions: send 3 of 4 crew, rent a car and drive, book another flight on another airline, continue to up the voucher offer till someone jumps at it...

2. United had him removed Chicago Airport Security was simply tool/method to have him removed. United is just as culpable since they initiated the action.

Also, everyone understands delays and maintenance and wreathed. Acts of God if you will. People don't understand someone coming on the airplane moments before take off, pointing at you, at "random" and saying get off.

Users who are viewing this thread