Update!!! Coyote Swap Cobra in the 1/8 mile

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Hello all,
Got some great news, scored a awesome deal on a set of 10th anniversary wheels 17x9 and some half used 28x10x17 Hoosier bias ply slicks (thanks Mark.) I went to the qualcomm track, where my most consistent time was an 8.0 @ 91.5 mph with a 2.0 sixty foot with nitto 555r drag radials. Bolted the slicks up and was able to get two clean 7.5xx @ 93-94 mph with a 1.77 60 foot. I was actually able to launch at around 5000 rpm vs 1500 with the nittos. If I was not for a c6 vette axle hoping to the death of its rear end and then proceeding to drive down the entire track like an asshole, I am confidant that there is another tenth or two in the 60 foot with a little less tire pressure (ran both times with 16psi) and 6000 rpm launches.

Its amazing what good traction does, Hopefully with a good track and possibly a few more mods it will see the elusive 7.0 and 6.9 1/8 mile. Car is still full interior, even still has the spare tire and jack. All runs are down with a full tank as well for extra weight transfer at the Qualcomm parking lot. Motor is a stock intake manifold to oil pan first generation 5.0 coyote crate motor. with LTs, JLT, AED 91 octane tune.

Curious if other tracks will net faster times. There was no spinning or bogging with the slicks out of the whole, which means to me I need to launch it harder. By the way drive train is solid, built t-56 by me) and built rearend. Also has full upr kmember with mm coilovers, mm sub-frame connectors and mm rear control arms. Koni yellow adjustable all the way around, which I know are less then optimum for drag racing, however if I can achieve 1.6 or 1.5 sixty foots i don't see the point of changing them, i.e. daily driver.

As always I am excited to be able to start working my ways to the 6s and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really have a question for the coyote stock guys and how they are able to achieve crazy sub 10s passes, I need to get my car weighed to see where I am in respect, but the coyote stock class is a 3200lb limit I believe. So I should not be to far off from that.

Thanks everyone and good luck on your builds for TX 2k18, see you there.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Here is the best time slip, I am the left lane. Right lane was a super clean GTO with the stock LS2 bottom end, LS3 heads, healthy cam, LS3 intake manifold, exhaust, stalled auto. on slicks as well.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 483

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Hey all,
Got the 60 foot down to 1.65, however the time stayed the same at 7.526 at 92 mph. DA was a bit different, however I feel the car should be mph more. Maybe its the way the track is setup. Any ideas or do you guys think this is normal for my mods. Thanks

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
I aim for 6900 rpm shift points. Just going off the stock tach gauge. Which are pretty accurate, to the data logs I have done in the past. My 91 octane tune is conservative do to the crappy quality of California gas. I should have my 47lb injectors and e85 tune in soon for a comparison. However the next drag strip outing will be in Houston for the 2K18 event. Driving the car the whole way and taking a stab at 10s all motor. I know its a hard goal with a stock intake car, but its ran low elevens before with alot less done to it. We will see got a little bit of weight reduction to do. (100lbs) to get to my 3300lb with drive goal. I will be over joyed if I am able to drive a round trip of 4000 miles and go 10s on a daily driver setup that I built.

Thanks so much for the input.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
So a few specs from my trip. Car ran great did over 4500 miles averaged 22-24 mpg on 91 octane. E85 did around 16 mpg on the highway. Car definitely feels more torquey with E85. Got to TX2K18 and was only able to run twice which took 3 hours. Unfortunately since i usually run 1/8 mile a misaligned shifter and over tightened clutch cable cause a bad miss shift to 2nd instead of 4th both times I got to run. Still ran 12.4 both times with missing 4th completely and letting out. What I did learn was the eighth mile was a little better then previous runs. ran [email protected] mph with a 1.7 60 foot. Previous runs were with a 1.6 60 foot and 7.5 @ 93.3 in much colder weather. (similar elevation) So my conclusion is that the e85 helped a bit maybe not a full tenth but the car runs and drives much nicer. The car made the entire trip without one issue. Granted I have a few things added to my list that I want to make better for the next big trip. I definitely see myself adding a 2018 intake and a set of dedicated big and little to see if i can actually get down in the lower 7s 1/8 mile with a N/A daily drive on the cheap. Stay tuned.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
UPDATE!!!!!! Alright Guys got my (unported) 2018 intake with a AED e85 tune with my dragpack. wheels and got past the 7.5 wall i was having issues with. Car went 7.476 @94.93 with a 1.689 60 foot. Followed by a 7.489 @ 94.74 with a 1.681 60 foot. Launching at 5500 rpm and shifting between 7000-7200 rpm. No shift light just looking at the tach and trying to do my best. Drag pack wheels and tire set is the jegs ssr wheels 17x4.5 in the front with bias front runners and 15x8 with hoosier 26x9x15 in the rear. This is also at the Qualcomm stadium parking lot track @ racelegal. So its a no prep track. DA was around 400-600 ft. Car is full weight minus the wheels (saved 76lbs), no front sway bar (13lbs removed for the track), and a full upr k member with mm coil over which is negated by the full length MM sub frame connectors and no a/c (30lbs, waiting on custom lines to put it back on). Full tank of gas, with full interior, stock heavy seats, and spare tire and jack still in the car and my heavy ass. I daily the car, so it still has the koni yellow adjustable on it with h&r sport springs in the back with MM 250lb coilover springs in the front, so its a stiff suspension for daily fun and canyon driving. I really want to go 7.0s in the eighth mile, and hopefully translate into a 10.9X in the quarter mile when ever I get time to get to a quarter mile track. I am thinking about having the 2018 intake and the stock tb ported by Bret Barber to squeeze the last n/a power out of the car without cracking into the motor. Any suggesting on getting the last .4 tenths off, this car is a daily so gutting is not really an option, probably the only weight remove will be new seats and an abs delete. Both are practical mods due my seats being shot and swapping the abs (that doesn't work) out for a line lock unit. Might try 4.56 gears, port the intake and tb, and do strange shocks and struts to try to get those last .4.
As always thank you all for your input.

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Friend of mine did a coyote swap into an 81 coupe. Swap headers, x-pipe, and e85. He has been 10.82@126 in 85° crap weather. DA over 2000. It is really light, but still. Made 425 wheel. Tko 600 tranny. I think he has a 4.56 too. His best 1/8th so far is 6.97. Get to a real track and you will be pleasantly surprised.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Update!!! So no new mods however got back to our no prep parking lot track and was able to slightly increase my time to a best of of 7.475 @94.94 with a 1.700 60 foot. Only thing I changed was the shift points from 7000 to 7300. The launch is limited by the track and the fact that my rims are spinning inside the tire (5500 rpm). Anything more than 5500 rpm results in spinning. The other factor to consider during this drag strip outing is that the DA was considerably higher than last time. 400 feet vs 1500 feet on this one. I am working to get the rims to seat better to the tires with some tricks before doing a bead lock setup. Also next drag strip outing will be to a prepped 1.8 mile actual drag strip. The next mod will likely be a Bret Barber ported intake and tb (18 manifold and stock tb that are on the car now). Since this is a daily, I am waiting on a work trip to break it down and send the intake off so I dont have any down time with the car. Goal at the good 1/8 mile is 7.3Xs @ 95 mph. Hopefully I can cut low 1.6s. Lol still on a stiff ass MM suspension. One other item for consideration is that I am pretty confident that the 03 cobra t-56 is my limiting factor at this point. With a 2.66 first gear, even with a 4.30 gear with a 26 inch slick it is still pretty lazy launching and going through the gears. Only way to remedy this is 4.56 gears or a 2.97 t-56 magnum. What ever breaks first I suppose. DA will be significantly higher at the Barona 1/8 mile track so that will be a factor, however I will be able to launch around 6000 rpm. Stay tuned..........

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Update!!! Finally got the funds to do a Bret Barber ported 18 manifold and stock throttle body. First class work and awesome customer service. Total cost was $360, however I was able to work a deal with Bret for a nitrous outlet intake I had and wasn't using. So total I paid was $180. I am not a dyno guy so no numbers will be posted (none to post) but I am a track guy, and let me just say I am super surprised. Shaun @ AED said there is no tuning update required for the porting, so I slapped both items on and ran last Friday the 14th. Track DA was around 1500ft, as always I am running at the Qualcomm stadium parking lot so no prep and a slippery track, however was able to do multiple 7.50x passes with 1.7 60 foots and a best of 1.69 60 foot. Granted the track is a slip and slide after the launch box. I didn't beat my 7.475 pass but the interesting thing is the mph all of my runs were over 95 mph and my two best runs were over 96 mph. So there is defiantly power gained with the porting of the manifold. I ended the night with a [email protected] with a 1.6 foot. So I gained over 1 mph from my best run and average 1.5mph better than my average runs before. By the way I was able to score some jegs scat sportsman pro seats and get them installed as well. Not bad seats for the price, however only saved 12lbs over the stock seats. I can't wait to get to a better track to see if I can get to my goal of 7.3x with out cracking the motor open and gutting the car. I have my eyeball on a set of L&M intake cams after I reach the 7.3xs with out cracking my gen one motor. Ultimate goal is still 7.0s in the eighth and 10.90s in the quarter N/A and keep it as my daily driver. Any input is great. Thanks all.

Last edited:

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Nice work. Is there a link about the build of this car?
Long time ago, back in 2014 I think I posted a built thread. Can't find the link. But here is a run down of the car:
1996 Cobra Mystic
2012 5.0 coyote crate motor
FRPP control Pack
BBK Swap LT Headers, 3 inch x pipe, 3 inch borlas xs, 3 inch flowmaster tail pipes
Gen 1 JLT cold air
Power by the hour bracket kit with a 2012 alternator.
Bret Barber ported 2018 intake and ported stock throttle body
LU47lb injectors
-6 lines with Pro-m hanger with a 340lph aeromotive pump
91/e85 Shaun@AED tune
03 Cobra T-56, upgrade by myself, 26 spline input shaft, billet keys, carbon syncros, etc
Mclead 550hp hybrid street/strip single 11 inch clutch. Stock coyote steel flywheel.
03 cobra bellhousing/driveshaft
driveshaft loop.
8.8 Rearend. 4.30 gears. 03 cobra diff, 31 spline axles, Ford racing girdle
UPR k-member and arms
MM front coilover kit 250lb springs
H&R sport springs in the rear
Koni yellows all the way around
steeda upper rear control arms
MM lower control arms.
MM FL sub frame connectors.
No A/C currently due to hole in condenser. Working on getting the funds to reinstall it.
17x9 95 cobra rs with 275/40/17 nitto g2s for daily use
17x4/15x8 ssr jegs stars (poverty stars) with M&H 26x4.5 bias ply in the front and 26x15x9 Hoosier bias ply in the rear
For drag racing I remove the front sway bar and install the wheels saving 100lbs of weight. Making race weight with me in it around 3400lbs.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
That is awesome!! I really Really want to do a 1998 Cobra with a Coyote engine but looking at pricing for the parts looks insane. I do all the work myself.

Long time ago, back in 2014 I think I posted a built thread. Can't find the link. But here is a run down of the car:
1996 Cobra Mystic
2012 5.0 coyote crate motor
FRPP control Pack
BBK Swap LT Headers, 3 inch x pipe, 3 inch borlas xs, 3 inch flowmaster tail pipes
Gen 1 JLT cold air
Power by the hour bracket kit with a 2012 alternator.
Bret Barber ported 2018 intake and ported stock throttle body
LU47lb injectors
-6 lines with Pro-m hanger with a 340lph aeromotive pump
91/e85 Shaun@AED tune
03 Cobra T-56, upgrade by myself, 26 spline input shaft, billet keys, carbon syncros, etc
Mclead 550hp hybrid street/strip single 11 inch clutch. Stock coyote steel flywheel.
03 cobra bellhousing/driveshaft
driveshaft loop.
8.8 Rearend. 4.30 gears. 03 cobra diff, 31 spline axles, Ford racing girdle
UPR k-member and arms
MM front coilover kit 250lb springs
H&R sport springs in the rear
Koni yellows all the way around
steeda upper rear control arms
MM lower control arms.
MM FL sub frame connectors.
No A/C currently due to hole in condenser. Working on getting the funds to reinstall it.
17x9 95 cobra rs with 275/40/17 nitto g2s for daily use
17x4/15x8 ssr jegs stars (poverty stars) with M&H 26x4.5 bias ply in the front and 26x15x9 Hoosier bias ply in the rear
For drag racing I remove the front sway bar and install the wheels saving 100lbs of weight. Making race weight with me in it around 3400lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread