Update on Street Racing Prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Some time back I posted a story concerning a local case. Here is the final outcome:

Street racer guilty of murder
By Jim Guy / The Fresno Bee

(Updated Saturday, April 29, 2006, 5:19 AM)

A jury Friday convicted George Hernandez Batalla, 21, of second-degree murder for causing a crash during an illegal street race last summer that killed the daughter of a retired local auto racing legend.

Batalla, who was also convicted of gross vehicular manslaughter, could face a prison sentence of 15 years to life in prison. His attorney said during the trial that Batalla should not be treated as a killer, but after the verdict conceded the sentence would send a message to street racers.

Batalla's car collided with a Ford pickup driven by Diana Lynn Pombo-Covell, daughter of Al Pombo, as he was racing side by side with another driver on two-lane Fig Avenue on June 20.

Both cars ran a stop sign at Central Avenue. The other car, driven by Miguel Angel Silvas, 28, was racing in the wrong lane and made it through the intersection. Batalla's car struck Pombo-Covell's westbound pickup, pushing it in front of an eastbound Freightliner truck.

The pickup was destroyed and Pombo-Covell, the mother of two children, died at the scene.

After the collision, Batalla fled, leaving his injured brother, Omar Morales, in the damaged Pontiac Grand Am. Batalla was later arrested at Madera Community Hospital, where he was receiving treatment for injuries.

Silvas made a U-turn and checked out the collision scene before speeding away, court records indicate. His trial is pending.

"This was a test case for the District Attorney's Office," Batalla's attorney, Thomas J. Richardson, said in a statement Friday. "The district attorney wanted to send the message that street racers would be prosecuted to the maximum.

"In the past, I've represented a person who stabbed someone fifteen times, hit someone with a hammer eighteen times, slit the victim's throat and after a jury trial, this person ultimately got less time than Mr. Batalla will.

"Mr. Batalla did not even consider anyone would be injured when he was involved in this accident. He should have, but he didn't.

"If there is a good side to this, street racers will get the message, and there won't be another senseless death like this."

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
He got exactly what he deserves. Street racers really need to start thinking about the consequences of their actions!!!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Agreed, this was a slam dunk for the prosecution and will make it easy to nail the other racer (Silvas) when his case comes to trial. So far the DA has not extended any plea bargains to him. At this point his only option is to plead to the same charge and hope for some form of leniency, since he already knows what will happen if he takes it to trial.

Zentenk

Established Member
This will do nothing to street racers/idiotic drivers/drunk drivers/old drivers/young inexperienced drivers. People will crash, and people will die... from racing or talking on the cell phone to eating a hamburger unless they put POV on rails or you don't walk near a street/live out in the boonies your not safe.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
FordSVTFan said:
He got exactly what he deserves. Street racers really need to start thinking about the consequences of their actions!!!
+65,000 on this one.

Bout time they get serious on this.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
I don't have problem with agressive prosecution and sentencing of street racers, but what concerns me, and I guess that this would also apply to other "high profile" crimes, is the seeming disparity in the sentencing. Before you start flaming, I think the sentences should be harsh, he cost and innocent woman her life. But how is it any less tragic/horrible than some punk killing your mom outside a grocery store for $20. I guess as good as our legal system is, compared to the rest of the world, it still has its flaws.

Just something to chew on.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Wow... it wasn't street racing that killed the girl. It was the person that was born without a brain. My god, street racing is dangerous on a desolate road with no side streets, let alone RUNNING FREAKING STOP SIGNS, while racing. Holy shit; I cant even comprehend this...

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
czwalga00gt said:
Wow... it wasn't street racing that killed the girl. It was the person that was born without a brain. My god, street racing is dangerous on a desolate road with no side streets, let alone RUNNING FREAKING STOP SIGNS, while racing. Holy shit; I cant even comprehend this...

Exactly. This has little to do with street racing and a hellva lot more to do with idiotic rampaging drivers who blast through stop signs. Many of my friends, including myself have participated in a little street racing here and there but always took the situation/environment around us in to consideration before engaging. This includes knowing when to shut down, not mindlessly blasting through stop lights/signs or doing it in crowded areas.

Either way, the guy got what he deserved.

98slowbra

Established Member
we had about the same thing happen here in Colorado, there were 2 cars street racing and one bumped into the other causing it to roll over and kill one girl inside, both drivers are being convicted for manslaughter, and the other thing is both drivers are illegals in this country. how nice this is.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
FordSVTFan said:
Well almost, him dying and the innocent still alive would be what he deserves.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
But since you arent a L.E.O. you can actually say that without being flamed till no end.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
:banana:
FordSVTFan said:
But since you arent a L.E.O. you can actually say that without being flamed till no end.
:banana:

I just wanted to say what i thought some of our good officers were probably thinking and how i personaly felt.

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
WTF said:
Exactly. This has little to do with street racing and a hellva lot more to do with idiotic rampaging drivers who blast through stop signs. Many of my friends, including myself have participated in a little street racing here and there but always took the situation/environment around us in to consideration before engaging. This includes knowing when to shut down, not mindlessly blasting through stop lights/signs or doing it in crowded areas.

Either way, the guy got what he deserved.

There are too many variables...even if you think it is safe, something could happen. It's just not worth it. I personally couldn't live with myself if I killed or hurt someone else do to my stupidity. Even if you get caught just having a bit of fun, it isn't worth all the headache. Even if you aren't racing, but you are with people who look like they are racing, it still isn't worth it.

Andrew@

This is Paradise!!
Established Member
czwalga00gt said:

+1 the thing that got me the most was running of the stop sign....its there for a reason.

GodStang

Established Member
mf150 said:
There are too many variables...even if you think it is safe, something could happen. It's just not worth it. I personally couldn't live with myself if I killed or hurt someone else do to my stupidity. Even if you get caught just having a bit of fun, it isn't worth all the headache. Even if you aren't racing, but you are with people who look like they are racing, it still isn't worth it.

Ya you say there is too many variables but I mean people crash and die on Race tracks. I think the big thing here is still that they ran stop signs. That is just beyond stupid. I am not saying to street race just if you do it be SAFE about it. Take into account signs and other things.

I know a girl was hurt because of street racing. Two guys were running on a two lane road at night with there lights off. The girl and her mom did not see them coming at her in her lane with there lights off and hit her. Still the main cause is Stupidity of the drivers.

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
GodStang said:
Ya you say there is too many variables but I mean people crash and die on Race tracks. I think the big thing here is still that they ran stop signs. That is just beyond stupid. I am not saying to street race just if you do it be SAFE about it. Take into account signs and other things.

I know a girl was hurt because of street racing. Two guys were running on a two lane road at night with there lights off. The girl and her mom did not see them coming at her in her lane with there lights off and hit her. Still the main cause is Stupidity of the drivers.

Take it from me...I don't think street racing is worth it period. I don't care what the situation is...I would rather take my chances with fate and probability than increase my chance of loosing my car, being put behind bars, being arrested, having my license suspended, killing someone else, killing myself, totalling my car, destroying others' property, running over animals due to unsafe speed, etc.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Stupidity is the key - street racing in any form is stupid: hense, one dead, two in prison.

It's not the running of the stop sign that caused this accident, it was the race, beginning to end. Once they began racing, they were in violation of the law and that violation led to the deaths, running the stop sign was only one component of the incident.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
My only question is, why did the people he represented who stabbed people and beat somebody with a hammer get away with less than 15 to life?

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
T-Bolt said:
My only question is, why did the people he represented who stabbed people and beat somebody with a hammer get away with less than 15 to life?

Money talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread