Update on TOB and retainer sleeve

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
7/28/04

I just got off the phone with the shop foreman and the good news is…he said Ford has just issued a revised transmission cover plate that has the new TOB bearing-retainer sleeve on it. It also comes with the revised TOB* (See note below). The part number is 3R3Z7005AA. The bad news is…it is presently on nation-wide back order. There was a shipment of 54 pieces that went out 7/19 (to Ford), but they are all spoken for. There is another shipment of 120 pieces due to arrive (at Ford) on 8/4/04. From there, it’ll take a couple days for the dealers to get them. Mine is on order, and at this point, waiting another week is no big deal for me, (although my car isn’t presently in the shop all torn apart.) My foreman said he might also order the clutch pack assembly, just in case. (They can send them back if they don’t need them, but they do get charged 10% to do so.) At any rate, I’m pretty happy since this is the last major unresolved issue I have with my car! :D

Edit: Almost forgot...TSB#04-13-4 (and yes...this is the correct number. See page 5 for image of 1st page)

8/24/04 - to put recent relevant info right at the top of this thread.
*TOB itself does not come with part#3R3Z7005AA.
Revised retainer sleeve is steel.

Last edited:

stevieb

Established Member
I just got my car back from Ford with a new clutch and trans on July 8th, I wonder if that trans was fortunate enough to get the updated part? I should go look at the sticker to check its born on date.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I'm getting my car back today from the dealer. I dropped it off on friday and they said it will be done by monday. Monday rolled around and still not fixed... they said they were waiting on a part. I wonder if I'm going to get the one you mentioned in this thread?

RGrossman

Established Member
So this cover includes the TOB retainer sleeve? I'm confused as to what the TOB retainer sleeve is. My TOB is chirping and I have some pedal vibration so im going to do the sleeve and clutch at once. How does this piece install in the tranny? Does it need to be pressed in?

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by RGrossman
So this cover includes the TOB retainer sleeve? I'm confused as to what the TOB retainer sleeve is. My TOB is chirping and I have some pedal vibration so im going to do the sleeve and clutch at once. How does this piece install in the tranny? Does it need to be pressed in?
It is actually called the front bearing retainer, this bolts to the front of the trans and the tob slides back and forth on it, while also holding the front input bearing and shaft in its place.
Im confused too, a sleeve you say? I wonder why Ford would waste their time putting a sleeve over their aluminum retainer. Why didnt they just make it out of steel like they did in the old days.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
The sleeve is the tube. It's the same thing. It's the metal tube that surrounds the input shaft that the TOB slides on.

Input shaft retainer sleeve.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for covering, sly. Yes, the updated sleeve (or tube) comes already assembled on the front cover plate, so the tech only needs to install the plate (and check the end play). If the sleeve is galled up or cracked, the TOB will not glide smoothly on the retainer sleeve, and this is what is going to lead to the vibration in the clutch pedal, (which mine also exhibits along with the squeal from the TOB.)

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
According to some notes I have...

As of November 2003...the Ford part # of the revised TOB is F0F7ZZ-7548-AA. Does anyone know if that's still valid?

-Greg

jedeyeben

Established Member
What sound does the TOB make so I know what to listen for? I figure I have had every other problem so I might as well be on the look out for this as well.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by jedeyeben
What sound does the TOB make so I know what to listen for? I figure I have had every other problem so I might as well be on the look out for this as well.

Chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp... Mine is now chirping for the 2nd time. The dealer said the retainer was OK last time when I specifically asked them to check it. Maybe this time I can get them to replace it per the TSB.

Anyone think I should put a new clutch in as long as they are going to have it apart anyways? Approaching 13,000 miles. My clutch is fine at the moment. If I was over 20,000, I wouldn't think twice...

Coiled03

Established Member
Great.....I just got mine back from the dealer today, and not 5 miles down the road, the TOB started chirping again. Obviously, I didn't get this new cover, and now I'll have to go back in.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by jedeyeben

Noisy cricket. Also you can feel the vibration if you have the car running, in neutral, put your hand on the clutch pedal and move it back and forth about 3 inches slowly. You will feel it vibrate if it's bad. Otherwise it will be smooth. The hand is just a trick for those who don't feel it with their feet.

Originally posted by Coiled03
Great.....I just got mine back from the dealer today, and not 5 miles down the road, the TOB started chirping again. Obviously, I didn't get this new cover, and now I'll have to go back in.

My second and third one popped within 10 miles of leaving the dealership too. Sorry you have to go back.

Coiled03

Established Member
Hang on a second here.....the more I think about this, the less it makes sense. What does the transmission cover plate have to do with the retainer sleeve, OR the TOB?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the transmission cover plate is simply a plate the covers the hole in the transmission where the clutch fork passes through, and attaches to the cable. Furthermore, it's completely external. How is that related to a TOB problem? Are you telling me this revised plate has a retainer sleeve WELDED on to it or something? I'm lost. :confused:

Silver 03 Cobra

Hang on a second here.....the more I think about this, the less it makes sense. What does the transmission cover plate have to do with the retainer sleeve, OR the TOB?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the transmission cover plate is simply a plate the covers the hole in the transmission where the clutch fork passes through, and attaches to the cable. Furthermore, it's completely external. How is that related to a TOB problem? Are you telling me this revised plate has a retainer sleeve WELDED on to it or something? I'm lost. :confused:

The end plate caps the transmission housing. It has two bores for bearing cups and a bore for the TOB retainer. Make sure to use caution when you knock the cover off because the bearing cups fall out easily and should have shims under each that you want to make sure you keep in the respective bores. The retainer is pressed into the end plate from the backside. It has to come off the trans. It's easy. You knock out the retainer or what's left of it in my case. The retainer has an o-ring on the outside and you have to swap out yourt oil seal from the old retainer. I would just buy a new one.

The retainer is not welded to the end plate in any method. It's pressed as described above. The boss portion of the retainer that holds the oil seal is welded to the tube portion of the retainer.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Good contribution, Silver03Snake. For those that will be following the TSB, however, you will not need to remove the bearing retainer from your old cover plate. The new plate has the updated retainer sleeve already in it.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
According to some notes I have...

As of November 2003...the Ford part # of the revised TOB is F0F7ZZ-7548-AA. Does anyone know if that's still valid?

-Greg

Top_Fuel - The revised TOB does come with the new cover plate and retainer sleeve. I can't verify that part number, however. Sorry. Maybe someone else can verify it.

Coiled03

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
Top_Fuel - The revised TOB does come with the new cover plate and retainer sleeve. I can't verify that part number, however. Sorry. Maybe someone else can verify it.

Incorrect. They just installed the updated TOB on my car, and it did NOT include the new cover plate or retainer sleeve. I went back there and looked at the bearing myself to double check the part number. And the part number Top_Fuel posted is the updated bearing part number. I can verify that.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Incorrect. They just installed the updated TOB on my car, and it did NOT include the new cover plate or retainer sleeve. I went back there and looked at the bearing myself to double check the part number. And the part number Top_Fuel posted is the updated bearing part number. I can verify that.

An updated thowout bearing absolutely DOES come with the new cover plate and retainer sleeve in accordance with the TSB. You may very well have had JUST the TOB installed (lots of guys have already), but that is NOT what the TSB covers. If you don't believe me, call your dealer and have him run an OASIS run for you and see for yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread