Update on TOB and retainer sleeve

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Sorry, but I can't post the TSB. (I promised the shop foreman I wouldn't do that.) I'm on vacation right now anyway. Anyone have any updates on the parts back order situation?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
A promise is a promise. I was hoping someone would have a copy available so I wouldn't have to pay for it to read it. I can always bring the car in and discuss the TSB with them after they diagnose it. There has been a lot of good info in this thread so i have no complaints.:)

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
flyn high - you haven't had your car in yet? I know you had said your dealer wouldn't check on the parts situation until they looked at your car (although I know you said they were kinda far away.) Ah well...time for you to be thinking about going on vacation too, right?! Thanks for understanding about the TSB. As you know, I have a good repore (sp?) with my shop, and I would never do anything to jeapordize that.

Anyone else have any updates on the parts situation?

Thanks!

Last edited:

akaeric

Established Member
I noticed all your cars are 03's and was wondering at what milage are you guys are having this problem I do have a small short take of noise in first it sounds like I am starting in a lower gear.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Quick question guys... If my service guys find that the clutch was worn prematurely due to the TOB/Sleeve issue, should I tell them to replace it with a more heavy-duty one (King Cobra maybe ??) and I'll pay the difference? What are your thoughts.... Any other suggestions for a more heavy-duty clutch that Ford would replace the stock one with for me?? Or should I just stick with stock (I am planning on mods before the end of the calendar year)??

Just want your $.02. :D

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Black 2003,
I'm dropping my car off on Friday before I leave for vacation. That way they can have the car for a week and hopefully get everything finished with one trip [if the parts are in]. I also have some noises in the trunk/rear seat area and the rear brakes on the passenger side that I want them to fix. I'll leave them my cell # so they can call me if there needs to be any discussion.

akaeric,
My car has 13,000 miles on it at the moment.

Edit-Blk03SVTCobra,
Centerforce dual friction seems to be the popular replacement clutch at the moment. The stock clutch, however, isn't bad for stock or mildly modified Cobras.

Last edited:

Stang2WRX

Established Member
The revised Retainer sleev is the same sleeve as stok, but it has a spacer on it so the dealers don't push it too far in when installing. Prepare to chirp!

PS... im bringing mine in for it anyway next week.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Stang2WRX
The revised Retainer sleev is the same sleeve as stok, but it has a spacer on it so the dealers don't push it too far in when installing. Prepare to chirp!

So um... what you're telling us is that the sleeve is the exact same as the original and that the chirp will not go away?!

WTF? I thought this revised part was supposed to fix the problem? Somebody please tell me that this isn't the case.... :mj:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
So will an aftermarket clutch setup with TOB eliminate this problem or is it a design flaw in the trans bearing retainer?

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
That's good. That's the experience everyone should have when they encounter this issue.

I just went to the local ford dealer (they are not a SVT dealer), and told them what was up. I couldn't the "squeal" to happen when I brought it. I finally got it to squeal when one of their service guys was out. I told them that there's a TSB for it. He looked it up, and said he'd order the parts, and let me know when they came in. He submitted it as warranty work for "transmission noise." He then said "I wonder if it'd cause the clutch to wear out prematurely." He said he'd take a look at the clutch, and if it needed one, he'd get that replaced too. This particular tech runs at our local track regularly, so he sees me all the time. He said he couldn't warranty a halfshaft busted it there, but he'd take care of me if I had any car troubles. Great dealership if you ask me.

Josh

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
Sorry, but I can't post the TSB. (I promised the shop foreman I wouldn't do that.)
I understand a promise on your part, but not the guy asking you not to post. That's BS. A lot of folks are having the same issue and Ford is trying to cover it up. :mj:

NCStanger

Established Member
I just had mine done. So far so good, however while at a light the other day and barely rested my foot on the clutch and heard a "chirp chirp chirp". CRAP! Well it wasn't at idle if I kept my foot off of it and it didn't do anything bad at any RPM range as it did before so I'm ok I hope. A woman from dealership called me to ask if all was ok and I did mention it. My warranty has only 250 miles left on it. Think I'm gonna call back and get that last little nagging problems of windows squeeling and rattle behind air vents fixed just for peace of mind. I'm sure he'll love that. But if this TOB thing comes back, shouldn't they continue to fix that for free even after warranty is up if it's same defect? Here is all that my paper work said was done:

CAUSE: 35410 CLUTCH 42 R-R TRANS REPLACED CLUTCH PLATE BEARING PRESSURE PLATE AND FLYWHEEL ALSO DISSASEMBLE TRANS AND REPLACED FRONT ADAPTER PLATE
7003A MANUAL TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY - REMOVE AND INSTALL (7003) - L

1 F7ZZ*7548AA HUB & BRG ASY-CL REL
1 3R3Z*7550AARM REMAN DSC ASY-CL FRT
1 2R3V*7563*AARM REMAN PLT & CVR ASY-CL PRESS
1 3R3Z*7005*AA CSE TRANS (FRONT ADAPTOR)
1 3R3Z*7B546*AB DSC & PLT ASY-CL
7003A3 MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE, DISC OR PILOT BEARING - REPLACE
(7550/7563/7600) - L

FC: N59 42
PART # F7ZZ*7548*AA

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Akaeric – there is a poll with some mileage data. Check here:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54380&highlight=TOB

Blk03svt – I’m certain Ford wouldn’t give you a partial credit towards a different clutch. However, if you’re not going to be pushing it too much, I think the stock clutch should be fine anyway.

Stang2WRX – Are you certain of that info? It is supposed to be a revised piece, (as is the TOB itself). They aren’t replacing just the sleeve (now), either, BTW. The TSB calls for replacing the entire front plate with the sleeve already in it. I just can’t see them using the same part with a known flaw. I certainly hope they wouldn’t, at any rate! Thanks for the update on when the parts are due in!

BO TY KLR – I know some other guys that got fed up with this put in a different TOB and a steel retainer. Maybe it was networkinguru? You might find it with a search.

Josh and flyn high – hope everything works out. Looks like we’ll be waiting a little longer for parts.

Racerat – I understand everyone’s frustration with this problem, but keep in mind the TSBs aren’t supposed to be given out in the first place. Hence the reason for his request.

NCStanger – not good news! Please keep us informed!

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
...but keep in mind the TSBs aren’t supposed to be given out in the first place. Hence the reason for his request.

That may very well be the case, but it's very shady to me. It's like Ford finds out that there is a major mechanical problem on a particular model of their cars, officially acknowledges it, tells dealerships what is to be done to repair the problem, but does so without letting customers who may be affected by the problem know and keeping it very hush hush, all while dealerships refuse to repair these problems under warranty because of some totally unrelated aftermarket product on a car that is supposed to be the flagship of performance for them. I guess from a company standpoint, that may be a good way to cut costs on a blunder made by the factory or design teams, but it's very very underhanded. Maybe we need to send Mr. Ford a collective letter.

If there's a problem with a car of any type by a manufacturer and they offer a warranty on the vehicle when purchased, there should be absolutely no reason why they would NOT do what they do for recalls: send out a notice to any and all owners of said vehicle and let them know the closest certified repair center to check their car out for the problem. THAT'S how it should be. And Ford does this with recalls. When I had my Explorer, I received 2 recall notices during my ownership. Too bad we don't live in a perfect world. :rolleyes: :nonono:

I and others will gladly spread the TSB# for this, as it is information that I feel others and myself are entitled to. As far as I know (and as said on previous pages) the TSB# is either 04-01-34 or 04-1-34. Fight the power. :-D

Just my $.02.

Last edited:

Stang2WRX

Established Member
I NOW HAVE A COPY OF THE TSB!!!!

It is TSB# 04-13-4 as stated above.

Although there is a difference, the only part # that they say to replace is:

#3R3Z-7005-AA and they call it "Adapter Cover Plate"

Let me know if you guys want any other info off the TSB.

-Chris

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Blk03SVT - don't shoot the messenger, man! I wasn't trying to debate or defend Ford's practices here. I was just trying to explain why my shop's foreman asked me not to post it.

Stang2WRX - When I last talked to the foreman about this I asked specifically about the revised TOB itself. He said it comes with the adapter plate. Thanks for confirming the TSB number. Hopefully that will put that question to rest, (although I don't know why people didn't believe me in the first place.)

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Blk03SVT - don't shoot the messenger, man! I wasn't trying to debate or defend Ford's practices here. I was just trying to explain why my shop's foreman asked me not to post it.

No, no, no, no, no.... Wasn't pissed at you. Was pissed that a Ford Service Rep would tell you that. That's kinda underhanded that Ford tells their guys to not spread the TSB around. Don't you agree? I mean if the problem's there, why not make sure anyone that has it (or COULD have it) is taken care of? Costs are the reason they do this type of thing, but in my opinion the lost business because of crappy warranty fulfillment is more costly.

I'm not mad at you in the slightest, Black2003Cobra. Sorry to make ya think that. It's all good. :-D :coolman: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread