• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Update on TOB and retainer sleeve

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by Black2003Cobra, Jul 28, 2004.

1. 03DOHC

03DOHC Moderator Established Member

It would still be Ford's fault for using a supplier not capable of supplying. :)

I'm not sure if this part was directed at me or not. If it was they already installed the TSB parts on mine. The transmission now sounds like it has straight cut gears with dry bearings. It sounds horrible. I don't know how much fluid, if any, was lost when they did it and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't top off the fluid in the tranny, if it did lose some. It sounds that bad.

2. Black2003Cobra

Black2003Cobra New Member Established Member

03DOHC - Yeah, sorry. I only read the top part of your post. I didn't realize you already had the parts installed :bash:

They completely drain the xmission of fluid since they have to take the front cover off, so yes....they'd have to refill it. Easy to check, though. There are also a couple of bearing cups in the cover with shims. What if they mixed these up?! Just another possibility.

03Silver - yeah, yeah yeah....it is nice! :p

3. Florida_Cobra03

Florida_Cobra03 New Member Established Member

Black03SVTCobra,

Mentioning the Lemon Law to dealers is useless. I am getting my car bought back from Ford. I never mentioned it to the dealership doing the work because they couldn't care less. I just got tired of the Stall, TOB, rear bumper looking like s**t. Thank God they fixed the stall problem before someone died. They've already replace the entire transmission once and it still has the vibe in the clutch pedal. The rear bumper was replaced about 8 months ago. Looked great when they did it. Now its looking like crap again. It sucks to look at a regular V6 mustang with a nice rear bumper and know that yours looks like s**t, specially when you spent twice as much as they did on the carI didn't bother complaining to Ford or the dealerships because they'll just give you the run around. Lemon Laws are a waste of time also without an attorney. If you really want to get rid of the car, call an attorney that specializes in lemon laws and the magnusson-moss act. Some of these attorneys get their costs reimbursed by Ford, so it costs you nothing. They will deal with Ford, you will get more money from your car than the current market value and it won't cost you a dime. Only a couple of things: you must have excellent documentation and mods may hurt your cause somewhat.

4. Black2003Cobra

TTT

I’m curious - any updates on this subject? Those that have been in for the TSB, has everything been resolved? What’s the backorder situation - are people still waiting on parts? Has anyone else verified that the original retainer sleeve is steel?

5. Black2003Cobra

OK - we have one member that PM'd me, and said his original retainer sleeve was aluminum. Mine sure looked and "sounded" like steel. Looked just like the new one, in fact. So OK guys...how about some others. (Wish I would have checked it with a magnet now!!!)

6. flyn high again

flyn high again You are getting sleepy... Established Member

I dropped my car off for a week while I went on vacation and the car is supposedly fixed. I say supposedly because the parts numbers don't match up with the new TSB parts numbers as reported on SVTP. My invoice says "Replaced Throwout bearing, reassemble, test drove, OK. Part #
    FMC F7ZZ 7548 AA Hub and bearing asy-cl rel.
    FMC N811341 S101 STUD M10 1.5X1.5X51
    FMC W705444 S900 STUD SPACER M10X34+
    FMC N800419 S301 NUT M10X1.5 HEX FLAN"

I asked the Service Manager whether they had replaced the retainer as well as the bearing and he said the invoice shows they did. The chirping is gone at this time. I may stop by a parts dept. and look up exactly what they replaced. Unless any of you guys can decipher it for me...

7. Black2003Cobra

flyn high - yeah, I don't see the adapter plate part number that the TSB calls for on your parts list!! That sucks, man. Ask to see your old parts!

(Oh, and if you don't mind, if they did pull off the old front plate w/ the sleeve in it, could you give the sleeve the magnet test? Thanks!)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  8. flyn high again

flyn high again You are getting sleepy... Established Member

I was out of town all week and it's been another week since then so I bet the old parts are long gone. When I had my halfshafts and hubs replaced for the rear end pop/tink, they already had the old halfshafts boxed up for shipping to SVT when I went to take pics of them. It was difficult to even get them to let me take the pics [which I posted last year]. They didn't fix the creaking in my trunk area so I have to call them about that anyways. The tech says it's fixed but the first bump I hit says it's not...:bash:

9. 03SilverCoupe

03SilverCoupe New Member Established Member

Well, I got a call from my service tech at the dealer saying that my parts came in. I went by there at lunch and drove the car. Drove fine clutch felt great better then it has before. They still have to keep the car overnight because the car needs an alignment and it has to go to the bodyshop to have the front fenders realigned. I put a magnet on the sleeve that came out of my car and it stuck so the sleeve that came out of my car was infact made of steel.

10. MP3_Stang

MP3_Stang LabVIEW Guru Established Member

Mine is going in Tuesday for the TOB and the rear POP. Service advisor said he can get the new adapter plate in a day. Are they still back ordered?

11. Fuerza

Fuerza Active Member Established Member

I was wondering, is this a problem for 2004 cars, I've read this entire thread and have not seen any 04 owner with this problem.

12. 03SilverCoupe

03SilverCoupe New Member Established Member

MP3 just make sure that they can get the parts before they tare your car down to replace the plate. Let me know how the rear-end pop goes. I might have to take mine back in for that crap.

13. RGrossman

RGrossman Active Member Established Member

Can anyone tell me how this new adapter plate with the new TOB installs? I want to install this with my new CF clutch to be safe. My TOB squeaks sometimes but I dont have any pedal vibration. Do late run 03 Cobras have this issue?

14. Black2003Cobra

Thanks for doing that! Mine was steel, also. Another guy said his original was Al. Glad it worked out for you. Mine is still smooth as can be.

15. Black2003Cobra

The adapter plate just replaces the one currently on the front of the transmission. You have to make sure you check the end play, as that is critical. Also be careful when you take the plate out that you don't mix up the bearing cups and shims that are in there. See p. 5 of this thread for a copy of the first page of the TSB.

The TSB applies to '03s and '04s as well.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  16. primo

primo New Member

Do you think I can get this covered with my mods. Bassani catted-x and Nitto DR's. I do not have any tires to replace them with.

17. Black2003Cobra

Depends on your dealer, but I would be pretty surprised if they didn't cover you with those mods.

18. Big turkey

Big turkey New Member Established Member

Okay, everytime I hit a bump I hear a noisy cricket.. but otherwise I don't. But I do feel the clutch pedal vibrate through my foot when I'm shifting. Used to be sometimes, then often, and now its seems like it's getting worse. Is this the TOB?

Also, I'm pullied, upper and lower, will Ford still warranty the TOB?

19. Blk03SVTCobra

Blk03SVTCobra New Member Established Member

Well folks, I wanted to update you on my TOB chirp/squealing experience. For those of you who do not know, I had my car in previously for TSB 04-13-04 (TOB TSB). They replaced the adapter cover plate (which includes the "revised" TOB and input shaft retainer sleeve) as the TSB suggests.

Well, the chirping/squealing/heavy clutch/pedal vibration came back 3-4 weeks later just as bad, if not worse. So, I decided to take the car in for a few other issues that I was having and mention to them that the TOB problem came back.

Well, they determined that the cause of the squeal/chirp was the pressure plate. So, they replaced it under warranty. However, they also found that my clutch was approximately 1mm from being absolutely, completely and TOTALLY worn out. In other words, in another 1mm, I basically wouldn't have had a clutch.

Long story short, they covered everything except the actual clutch disc itself under warranty (labor, pressure plate, etc). So out the door I paid $280 (not to mention the fact that they replaced my driveshaft, rear differential AND did all the labor under warranty too).

Let me just say... The difference in the clutch pedal is absolutely stunning. I have NEVER had my car shift so easily and the clutch pedal has NEVER been this light. The only thing I can compare it to is my buddy's Integra (which has an aftermarket, and thus lighter, clutch in it!!). I'm absolutely, positively ellated. Feels like the car should now.

So, boys and girls. Moral of the story, if you're having TOB problems and you've already had it fixed via the TSB... Check out your pressure plate and clutch.

Hope this helps some people :thumbsup:

20. BIGV

BIGV GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! Established Member

Ok I have a ? I have an 03 with 8200 miles on her . She is put away for the winter and I have no TOB problelms shifts fine. Now to my ? is it inevitable that the TOB will go bad and will Ford replace it if there is no squeeling noise or ratteling. I do not plan to even come close to putting the wrrenty miles on ie 36,000 so if this problem shows up at say 20,000 im solbe3cause ill be out of warrenty or are they still responsible due to the fact they know about the bad TOB. Any info appreciated