Update on TOB and retainer sleeve

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
BIGV said:
Ok I have a ? I have an 03 with 8200 miles on her . She is put away for the winter and I have no TOB problelms shifts fine. Now to my ? is it inevitable that the TOB will go bad and will Ford replace it if there is no squeeling noise or ratteling. I do not plan to even come close to putting the wrrenty miles on ie 36,000 so if this problem shows up at say 20,000 im solbe3cause ill be out of warrenty or are they still responsible due to the fact they know about the bad TOB. Any info appreciated

You are NOT guaranteed to have the TOB problem.

Ford will replace it if it's under warranty. Just mention TSB 04-13-04.

I'm not sure if they would fix/cover it under warranty after the warranty has expired. That's something you'd have to work out with your dealer. I'm guessing if your relationship with them is pretty good that if it crops up and you mention the TSB, you might be able to get them to warranty it. :shrug:

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Well I have joined the club of the "TOB SLEEVE REPLACEMENT"
Long story short Voided warranty (Drivtrain) Replaced the Cluch cable and 4 days later
TOB squeel looked at fork that the cable went to and the fork was loose.Took trand off(From The Bell Housing back.Bell is still on the engine) I found the sleeve out and broke off. Called around and NO has it FORD said $200+ for kit and 5 days shipping. Called "D&D Preformance" and will be getting an upgrade on Monday...
Oh yeah its only $80 with shipping next day!
FORD IS A RIP OFF!!!

Black03WPB

Established Member
I just ordered a fidanza flywheel and centerforce dual friction clutch kit with a centerforce throw out bearing..

Im getting a guy here who works at a local ford dealer to do it for me.. do you think if I asked him to just do the TOB TSB for the new sleeve, I should? Or should I just buy the D&D sleeve and pay him to install it?

xBlown04x

THE REAL ORANGECRUSH
Established Member
Hey. I drive an 04 and had the tsb taken care of less than a month ago and now it is back again.Ford said that this was fixed and would not happen again so i started to mod.Change pulley and HE.Should i put stock pulley back on before i go back and complain?

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
xBlown04x said:
Hey. I drive an 04 and had the tsb taken care of less than a month ago and now it is back again.Ford said that this was fixed and would not happen again so i started to mod.Change pulley and HE.Should i put stock pulley back on before i go back and complain?

If you have them fix it again, have them check your clutch assembly. I had the problem return only about 3-4 weeks after I had it fixed under the TSB and it was determined that the fingers of the pressure plate were a little warped. Also the clutch disc itself was a little less than 1mm away from being completely worn also. I had them replace the pressure plate under warranty and the clutch disc as well. The problem has not returned and my clutch has NEVER EVER EVER been as light as it is right now.

Good luck man :beer:

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Sorry to bring this up, but would I still be eligible for this TSB if my car is past the warranty period?

Black03WPB

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Sorry to bring this up, but would I still be eligible for this TSB if my car is past the warranty period?

TSB means they have to replace it, regardless if you are in the warranty period or not..

From the sound of it, youd be better off replacing the clutch with an aftermarket clutch.. and the TOB with an aftermarket TOB

Juiced-03

Established Member
Black03WPB said:
TSB means they have to replace it, regardless if you are in the warranty period or not..

From the sound of it, youd be better off replacing the clutch with an aftermarket clutch.. and the TOB with an aftermarket TOB

Can anyone else verify this? The TSB states "Eligible under provisions of new vehicle warranty" I guess that means I am out of luck? :cryying:

xBlown04x

THE REAL ORANGECRUSH
Established Member
One good thing i did not have to drive a tore-us. They gave me a brand new f-150. It only had 30 miles on it and 4 wheel drive. needless to say the 4-wheel drive has been used.Well they have had my car for two days and called this morning and said it was ready.They only change the tob this time.They tried to void my warrenty,Saying my pulley was not stock because it had 309155 E&C on it. I called Lynn at Amozon and a close friend and they both had a stock pulley with the same numbers on it.So no voided warrenty

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Black03WPB said:

That would be incorrect..recalls are the ones that dictate replacement out of warranty, and are mandated by NHTSA. TSBs are Ford's way of saying "we screwed up, but we will only fix it at our discretion", and then they dictate the terms.

Last edited:

xBlown04x

THE REAL ORANGECRUSH
Established Member
I need to make a correction on my previous comment. I talk to ford today and they said that changing the pulley had nothing to do with the tob tsb. i changed back to the stock pulley before i went to have it worked on and when i did the belt started to squeel. I advise the service writer of this and she said they would check it.The service manager said he could tell the pulley had been off so he would not cover it under warrenty but that had nothing to do with the TOB.It was still covered.So i asked them if i change my pulley and this happens again will it be covered.Yes, one has nothing to do with the other was the answer.

primo

Established Member
so did they void the rest of your powertrain or make a note of it in their system?

smrtasp

Established Member
I took mine in Monday for the TOB and the dealer tells me the clutch is gone. Sounds like the same issue Sean wrote about above. Only my dealer wont help with anything. They told me the clutch was too far gone and ruined the flywheel so now I am stuck. I ordered parts from D and D which have now been installed. Dealer wanted 950 for parts. I also asked the dealer to check the rearend. The wheelhop is so bad that my car actually pops out of first gear above 5 grand and is difficult to shift into second. 1st gear has been useless for months now. I took it in twice for the clutch making noise and vibrating and got the usual "its a characterisitc of the car" line. 18000 total miles on the car and now this. Plus my rear alignment is off so now I need to replace the rear tires (the right rear is bald). Tech says after installing the clutch he cant verify the wheel hop and even made a comment about the old clutch possibly being the culprit. Im picking the car up tonight and if the dealer still wont help, im calling ford. This all could have been avoided if they would have looked at it the first time.

vipergts281

Established Member
smrtasp said:
The wheelhop is so bad that my car actually pops out of first gear above 5 grand and is difficult to shift into second. 1st gear has been useless for months now.
1st will always be useless if you "get on it". These cars have alot of power stock, so traction is somewhat of a problem. With only a CAI, my 1st and 2nd gears were useless on stock tires.

Users who are viewing this thread