Update on Warranty nazi and TOB retainer - Warranty voided

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Well, just got the news. I'm not happy, but I'm not shocked either. Not only will they not fix it, they won't sell me the parts to fix it, and they voided my transmission warranty. Got to love Ford. I'll begin my letter writing campaign tomorrow, as well as start calling tremec shops and seeing what my options are.

For those of you who haven't been following, my TOB retainer is bad. It's a $50 part, but neither Ford nor Tremec will sell it to you. They require the entire transmission to be replaced for $3K. This is no joke. You have been warned.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Yates...Man
What kind of extreme BS is this. Will one from a Viper work, maybe Chrysler will sell one?

Nope, different input shaft and whole bunch of other stuff. I am going to call tomorrow and see if the aftermarket T-56 for GT's has the same retainer, but if not, looks like I am going to be, at the very least, buying a new nose cone, and at the most, buying a viper spec input shaft kit and all those goodies (assuming they actually sell it yet).

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Avenging Angel
So what did you add to void the warranty? What was this mod suppose to do for your car?

After the TOB went bad for the third time and my dealer told me they wouldn't warranty it "Because I drive it hard", I bought a UPR quadrant, FW adjuster, cable, and a spec clutch kit to try to fix it. But the damage was already done, the retainer had been scored by all of the stock Ford steel TOBs. I have proof that I modded those components AFTER the TOB went bad and phucked up the retainer, but Ford could care less. Those mods give them an out.

PDubs

Established Member
Sounds like BS indeed. There has got to be a place where you can just get the $30 part.

When I had my old Maxima, I had to get it aligned, but couldn't do so without getting the LCA fixed. They (NTB and dealer) said that the bushing had to be replaced, and that it wasn't sold seperately. I promptly got my car, found a place online that sold just the bushing and $20 later, I had the part I needed and installed at my local mom and pop shop. Worked like a charm.

Keep searching, surely you can find it online somewhere.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
It's a $50 part, but neither Ford nor Tremec will sell it to you. They require the entire transmission to be replaced for $3K. This is no joke. You have been warned.
Can you have a machine shop fabricate one for you?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I have already called one of the major Tremec dealers (D&D Performance). I asked if they could sell me a TOB retainer, and they said sure. They asked what the car was and I said '03 Cobra. They said "Sorry, can't help you". I think I might have to get it custom made, if I can ever find the damn specs on it.

Friendchicken

PDubs, Tremec and Ford have a specific OEM supplier agreement that any issues are fully warranteed by Tremec and that only Tremec will receive the units to be repaired/rebuilt.

The way Tremec has built the TOB retainer, it's a pressed peice that apparently cannot be removed/replaced properly by anyone but themselves (which is BS that they would make it this way)

That is the way the cookie crumbles.

And if you buy a Q. adj, spec 3 clutch and cable... before or after- it means you plan on driving the car hard to Ford. Date of purchase means nothing in this case. It's all perception to cover a crappy TOB issue.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
JT, where would I find the tag? I can pull the tranny again, I am going to have to go back down to Florida anyway.

It is supposedly attached to one of the external bolts, usually the tailhousing to the main housing bolt.

Rockland was not deterred by the supposed Ford-tremec agreement. I guess we will see when they actually have the tag number to work from.

Also one of my good friends Bob Hanlon is working with Herman of Horsepower by Herman on transmission parts upgrades. I don't think they are very far along yet.
See this thread:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4562

JT

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
It is supposedly attached to one of the external bolts, usually the tailhousing to the main housing bolt.

Rockland was not deterred by the supposed Ford-tremec agreement. I guess we will see when they actually have the tag number to work from.

Also one of my good friends Bob Hanlon is working with Herman of Horsepower by Herman on transmission parts upgrades. I don't think they are very far along yet.
See this thread:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4562

JT

Thanks JT,

I think my plan of attack is going to be as follows:

1) Call Tremec and see if they can sell the part to me now that the warranty is null.
2) Call D&D and see what the differences are between the aftermarket spec T-56 and the 03 T-56.
3) Drive to Florida, get the tag #, and call Rockland.
4) See about building up the current retainer at a machine shop.
5) See about Having a new retainer made, and seeing if we can get it put on without cracking the nose.
6) Buy a new, DIFFERENT, transmission. Screw this Ford spec junk.

CWCobra

Established Member
Guru:
That is absurd! Even worse is another thread about a warranty voided on a bone stock Cobra due to "excessive" tread wear on tires. Next we will hear about a voided warranty because a customer actually drove his car. "Sorry, sir, but since you actually drove your car, your warranty has been voided. You see, driving the car is deemed to be abusive."

Balderdash!!!
Later,
CW

jtfx6552

Established Member
Anybody have their Cobra up in the air aor the trans out and get that tag number? maybe we should ask in the spec III thread... I think that trans is out.

JT

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Actually, I'm not upset at all about the warranty thing. I am willing to pay to play. What is pissing me off is that they won't sell me the damn part.

SuperSonic

Established Member
I just had my tranny replaced under warrenty last week, due to the TOB going bad and the press fit on the retainer failing. You should of heard the noise that made. At first, the dealership told me they were just going to replace the retainer, then they found out they could not get the part and ordered a new tranny while sending the bad one back to Tremec. All I'm worried about now is how long this one will last.

good4me

Established Member
do they have proof that your mods did the damage? have you tried the magnusson-moss act ?

AFTER MARKET PARTS CONSUMER RIGHTS

Magnusson-Moss Act 1975

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of such aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicles warranty or that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, "what is not covered".

unless its stated in the owners manual that modding voids the warrenty, id get the lawer involved.

hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread