Update on Warranty nazi and TOB retainer - Warranty voided

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by good4me
do they have proof that your mods did the damage? have you tried the magnusson-moss act ?

AFTER MARKET PARTS CONSUMER RIGHTS

Magnusson-Moss Act 1975

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of such aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicles warranty or that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, "what is not covered".

unless its stated in the owners manual that modding voids the warrenty, id get the lawer involved.

hope this helps.

Magnusson does you no good. It's just there to appease SEMA. Ford laughs at it. Bottom line is it would cost more to hire a lawyer than it would to fix the problem, and that's assuming you could find one who would take the case AND was good. Not likely. No, I think the best approach for "revenge", as it were, is to hit them where it hurts: The pocketbook. I figure if I can get even 10% of the auto mags out there to publish a letter, that should be enough damage to make Ford seriously reconsider thier position on this junk. Course, that won't help me any, but as they say, 'thems the breaks'.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
For those of you who haven't been following, my TOB retainer is bad. It's a $50 part, but neither Ford nor Tremec will sell it to you. They require the entire transmission to be replaced for $3K. This is no joke. You have been warned.

What's up man>??? You never gave me a call to see if I could help you out or not. The offer still stands. -Mat-

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
Had my tranny replaced for the same thing right at 8,000 miles. No mods at the time and had the dealership install a specII at the same time. Seems like one of the supporting vendors has a chance to make some money making a replacement part...hint hint

With all the modded 03's and this some what common problem I'm sure someone could make some $$$ from a "copied and improved" replacement part. I'm sure this might become a common replacement just like the TOB when you replace your clutch in the future.

Supporting vendors of this site.......get to work there is money to be made

oldmodman

Established Member
Call Doug at Billetflow and see if he can make a run of TOB retainers out of some kind of better material. If Tremec won't sell us the part we can damn well have a better part made! I don't need one yet but I will buy one just to have it in stock. You never can tell, my warranty might get voided for calling the dealer an a**hole.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I don't mean to sound like an idiot but how does the TOB fail even on a fragile trannie? Is it during the engagement of the clutch or during engaged operation? Or could it be the 1/4 mile pop?

I would love to get an honest answer here. Gentle city driving or is aggressive "let's spin the wheels for fun" the culprit? I agree you should be able to abuse these beasts, at least some of the time.

I guess the real question is how much abuse can be had before the blasted thing breaks??? Just curious so I can avoid damage.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Hey, did some homework and I believe Ford has a point. Found some propaganda on the site. Check it out

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I don't mean to sound like an idiot but how does the TOB fail even on a fragile trannie? Is it during the engagement of the clutch or during engaged operation? Or could it be the 1/4 mile pop?

I would love to get an honest answer here. Gentle city driving or is aggressive "let's spin the wheels for fun" the culprit? I agree you should be able to abuse these beasts, at least some of the time.

I guess the real question is how much abuse can be had before the blasted thing breaks??? Just curious so I can avoid damage.
It's not an abuse problem as much as a design problem, IMO. The TOB is designed to turn all the time. At rest, the TOB is suppose to touch the clutch fingers (at least that's how the stock quadrant adjusts it). This is an issue from way back. My 98 Cobra's TOB would sqeal like a stuck pig when the pedal was in. Then I had the clutch changed and used a Timkin TOB from Auto Zone. I also changed the quadrant and adjusted the pedal so the TOB was just slightly away from the clutch at rest. No more sqeal. I never raced the 98, so abuse wasn't the issue in my case.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Re: Re: Update on Warranty nazi and TOB retainer - Warranty voided

Originally posted by SVT F15O
What's up man>??? You never gave me a call to see if I could help you out or not. The offer still stands. -Mat-

Mat,

I will give you a call when I get back to Fl. I didn't call because I couldn't find a part # on the retainer, and I had to leave Fl. anyhow the next day, so it would have done me no good. I decided to let my brother try sanding it down, and if that didn't work, try the dealer. Now, after both of those routes have been exhausted, I'm running out of options, so if I can find a part # I will definitely call you.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra

My car is stock except for exhaust. My tob started squeeling at 8000 miles. I am very easy on my car never been to the track and no big smoken burn outs as a matter of fact my freinds give me crap on how much I baby my car. So I think it is a design flaw and unfortantly unavoidable.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Guys,

May have a solution. Called D&D today, and asked about the differences between the aftermarket spec Mustang T-56 and the 03 T-56. Externally, there seem to be few, if any. Most importantly, they APPEAR to use the same press in TOB retainer as we do. I ordered one, $56. He said there are no tricks or special tools required to install one, you just need a standard press. So that's what I'll try next week.

Last edited:

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Wilson & Co
keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

what he said, except with a few more !s

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Did you get that from D&D Motorsports? I need to order one, you will not believe this but my car started chirping today. Seems like the chirp only taked place around 2500 rpm, in any gear especially under a load. Isn't that wierd? My car will still be under warranty but I would rather just a new piece rather than a whole new tranny. Does anyone have the number to D&D? I want to order one today.

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Guys,

May have a solution. Called D&D today, and asked about the differences between the aftermarket spec Mustang T-56 and the 03 T-56. Externally, there seem to be few, if any. Most importantly, they APPEAR to use the same press in TOB retainer as we do. I ordered one, $56. He said there are no tricks or special tools required to install one, you just need a standard press. So that's what I'll try next week.
:thumbsup:

You may have found the bullet for the warranty nazi!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Any machine shop should be able to press it in, assuming it's the correct part. That is the kicker guys, so don't get your hopes up yet. It's entierely possible that the parts are different. If so, I will probably have to order the entire transmission adapter for $400 and hope it bolts up correctly. I will find out early next week.

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Good luck Guru, you have a lot of people riding on your post about this next week.

Is there any way you could post about it separately instead of putting it in this thread? I've seen so many good responses get lost in the wash that way...:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread