Updated choice for alternators on a 03/04 Cobra

Wonder

Established Member
So I’ve seen this thread before about what alternator is the best but that was back in 2012 and I would like to know what would be the best alternator now to get knowing how there’s a lot of new technology out. I’m in need of one because my battery light keeps popping up after doing a couple of pulls in the high rpm’s but goes away when I slow down

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't go by just the flickering battery light. Even aftermarket ones will do this and voltage is fine. My Nations does it at high rpms once in awhile. I've data logged it and it's fine.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Wonder

Established Member
I wouldn't go by just the flickering battery light. Even aftermarket ones will do this and voltage is fine. My Nations does it at high rpms once in awhile. I've data logged it and it's fine.

I’ll test out the voltage tomorrow morning. But I’m assuming it’s my alternator because when doing a wot pull I notice my headlights getting brighter and also my dash lights

ARMEDSVT

Established Member

I've been driving mine for over 2 years with the battery light on. At first I was worried to drive it like that but I've tested the alternator a few times and voltage is where it needs to be. I need to figure out why the light comes on intermittently.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I need to figure out why the light comes on intermittently.
theres been a couple threads about it, there was something about the aftermarket alternators but I dont recall the solution.

I would definitely log voltage before throwing an alternator at it.

It is a little frustrating with some of these aftermarket alternators where they either don't have or won't share what the output should be at a given rpm.

Wonder

Established Member

Yea I have a alternator, I went to go test it out and it came back as a bad alternator

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I have a J2Fab 185 amp. It’s been great. I had a J2Fab 200amp on my 2001 GT that worked well too. I know it’s hit or miss with all these alternators. I got mine from Lethal Performance last summer I believe.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a J2Fab 185 amp. It’s been great. I had a J2Fab 200amp on my 2001 GT that worked well too. I know it’s hit or miss with all these alternators. I got mine from Lethal Performance last summer I believe.
I was over spinning the shit out of a j2fab on my Mach and idle output was never sufficient. His answer was always to spin it faster… it was already pullied that it’d spin 22-23k at redline, it’s only supposed to spin to like 16k

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
I was over spinning the shit out of a j2fab on my Mach and idle output was never sufficient. His answer was always to spin it faster… it was already pullied that it’d spin 22-23k at redline, it’s only supposed to spin to like 16k
I don’t doubt it. Mine seems fine. They are all hit and miss. I happened to get a good one.

Wonder

Established Member
If I were to get the j2fab is it a direct replacement or would I have to upgrade other things around it?

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
If I were to get the j2fab is it a direct replacement or would I have to upgrade other things around it?
It is direct replacement but with more amperage (not just J2Fab specific) you need the wire upgrade. Mine came with the harness that adapts the J2Fab plug to the stock harness. Pretty much plug n play minus the wire upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread