upgrade clutch?

SHAKN' 04

ToRchEd 04'
Established Member
Stock clutch with 20k miles on it. Fixing to go full bolt ons next month and was wondering if I need to upgrade my clutch. Here's what's getting installed

Cobrajet setup /Mani/tb/cai
Kooks longtubes, 3" o/r hpipe
And already installed magnapack axle back

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
The factory clutch PP is junk, you wont need to switch the clutch for power holding with bolt-ons, but will probably need to swap it due to gear grinding with high rpm shifts. It usually takes a little while, with 7000+ shifting, for the PP to act up. Something about the 7000+ shifts fatigues the springs causing it to stay slightly engaged in between shifts. This overtime wears the trans syncro and causes grinding. Also, upgrade the line and put in a dot4 fluid to keep the boiling point down. With DR slipping the clutch boils the fluid and kill syncros as well-- causes the PP not to disengage. MT82 should run slicks or at the very least minimize clutch slipping at the track.

Last edited:

SHAKN' 04

ToRchEd 04'
Established Member
The car won't see much track time. Maybe 1-2 times a year. More of a daily/weekend car. So the 7k shifts won't be happening every time I drive it. So will the stock clutch be fine for now or a while?

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade, its always good to upgrade but I personally wouldn't until it goes... I have 22k miles on my stock clutch and its been supercharged making 650 with a Paxton for almost 10k miles.

Again I'm not saying this is normal or you should or shouldnt. But me personally, i wouldn't upgrade until it goes with just bolt ons. I also don't launch the car or go to the track, but plenty of street races and shifts above 7k. Never had any tranny or clutch issues yet.

It depends on your driving, if you plan on launching the car much, just do it now. But if its just roll races and random pulls on the street I say you will be ok for now.

Last edited:

SHAKN' 04

ToRchEd 04'
Established Member
Awesome thanks for the input. I don't plan to race it as much as I did my old Mach 1. More cruising and some occasional roll racing. Thanks again

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Yeah then i would say leave it stock for now. But there's also people who's stock clutch go with no mods and guys with multiple broken trannys and other shifting issues so its either all driver based or just luck. I've been on the lucky side so far, but with my power I'm also surprised it still holds and I'm ready to upgrade lol

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I have a exedy 500 and it shifts a lot better then the junk oem unit. You'll know if your about to grind with the OEM, because the pedal gets heavy.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
A lot of guys are recommending the Exedy clutch but I think I'm going the Spec Stage 3+ route which has also been recommended a lot as well.

SHAKN' 04

ToRchEd 04'
Established Member
Bump this back up. I been doing some 7-7500 k pulls and the stock clutch def doesn't like it. Gonna get it swapped out when I install injectors for E85 and a new tune.

Users who are viewing this thread