Upgrade rod bearing preemptively??

xunantunich

Established Member
Would it be insane to upgrade rod bearings to say .. some king bearings like what L&M uses to build their coyotes? Or would that be completely ass backward? My concern is that that the stock rod bearings may not be up to the task of revving out to 7500 rpm .. Ive read posts where guys have changed rod bearings by just dropping the oil pan .. but not sure if this is only used as last ditch effort to try save an engine or could be done as preventative maintenance..

thanks.

clinton2003

Established Member
are you just thinking too much about it, or do you have a light knocking sound.

If you have any sounds, then just rip it down, toss a basic rotating assembly in and be done.
If you are thinking too much, stop. These motors have been pushed to over 8000 repeatedly without issue.

I used to run my turbo'd stock motor at 800 wheel, shifting at 7800 with the MT-82. never had any issues. ran it that hard for close to 60k (30k turbo'd) and engine was in great shape.

xunantunich

Established Member
Good to know , im staying NA was thinking the only failures ive seen really was OPG and rod bearings. Upgrading cams very soon , is there any reason to change out lash adjusters and “rocker” arms at 55k miles. Putting in boss 302r springs.. car is staying na .

clinton2003

Established Member
Good to know , im staying NA was thinking the only failures ive seen really was OPG and rod bearings. Upgrading cams very soon , is there any reason to change out lash adjusters and “rocker” arms at 55k miles. Putting in boss 302r springs.. car is staying na .

nope. opg's and crank sprocket. and secondary timing chains if you are worried or hit the limiter a lot. especially if your going to lock out or limit the cams.

in stead of doing boss 302r springs, do a real spring. most people go with the pac 1234x spring (PAC Racing Beehive Series Valve Springs PAC-1234X-16) for boost or something a bit lighter like these other pac springs (Trick Flow® by PAC Racing Beehive Valve Springs TFS-16801-32) ( i actually upgraded to these, and still run them in my car)

Remember you need 32 springs, one of those comes in a set of 32, the other a set of 16.

unless your rockers are bad, they will be just fine. take off the clips that hold the rockers to the lash adjusters, they are unneeded and have the potential to break and take out a motor.

If staying NA i would still toss a rotating assembly in it. maybe bump it to 12:1 compression and let it eat. if block can be cleaned up with a .005 it will be just fine. spinning a motor at a higher rpm will still stress the rods out. lots of inertia to stop and make go the other way.

Users who are viewing this thread