Upgrading Mach 460 sound system help

00stang37

Established Member
Hey guys, I’m looking into upgrading my Mach 460 system in my 2000 GT. I was hoping to just plug and play some better speakers into it but it seems like it’s a pain to change anything aside from the head unit. I grabbed a couple sets of speakers from Best Buy during a sale but I’m not sure what the better set up would be.

The Kenwood amps are about the same size as the factory amps so they should mount in the factory locations (hoping I could retain the factory wiring). One speaker set is 2 way, the other is 3 way (not sure which is better and if I retain or delete the factory tweeters). The amps are a class d mono, class d multi-channel, or a larger (won’t fit in the factory location) class a/b multi-channel.

I also picked up an 8” pioneer shallow sub box to sit in the area behind the wheel well jump in the trunk.

Each speaker set was on sale for $35-$40. Each amp was on sale for $100. The 8” sub was $75.

Looking to get a little more bass (nothing to rattle the whole car)and better sound over factory. The factory stuff sounds a bit weak when turned up over my exhaust.

Any info on which combo of amp/speakers would be a great help.

9hqmfd.jpg

w2orag.jpg

2mrwayg.jpg

1tsqr5.jpg

2130hw9.jpg

11bp8d2.jpg

2lrw5f.jpg

15otqus.jpg

992lww.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jaxbusa

Established Member
Stereo systems are very subjective. If you’re not comfortable enough choosing, I would ask a Best Buy installation employee. I replaced my head unit, ran all new speaker wires, removed the Mach speaker box, put components in the front, 3 way in rear, mounted a 5 channel amplifier under the rear deck and put a subwoofer on the trunk.

Don’t get caught up on the max watts on the boxes, just look for the rms rating. Match the amplifier rms to the speaker rms. It doesn’t have to be exact.50-75watt rms should be decent for the interior speakers. 300-500 rms should be good for the subwoofer. Don’t forget to match the OHMS of your amplifier to your sub. Get component speakers for the front. Food for thought, if your car is loud and rattles the stereo might not sound good or hide it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread