Upgrading Supercharger

coremaster21

Established Member
I am sure there has been over a thousand threads on this but I looked and couldn't find anything. Anyways, I plan on going with a VMP 2.3 TVS once I have the money saved up and they drop a bit in price due to the upcoming 2.6 releasing. I was wondering what all I am going to need, was looking for around 620-650 whp if possible without ruining the longevity and drivability of the car.

Currently all the car has is the stock blower, 2.8 pulley, Bassani x-pipe, Borla stingers, dyno tune and a AFCO heat exchanger.

I do plan on running E85 once its all said and done but I was just looking for some advice on what to purchase and what I will need with the VMP. I am not very knowledgeable about this but you got to start somewhere so any help is appreciated, thanks!

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I am sure there has been over a thousand threads on this but I looked and couldn't find anything. Anyways, I plan on going with a VMP 2.3 TVS once I have the money saved up and they drop a bit in price due to the upcoming 2.6 releasing. I was wondering what all I am going to need, was looking for around 620-650 whp if possible without ruining the longevity and drivability of the car.

Currently all the car has is the stock blower, 2.8 pulley, Bassani x-pipe, Borla stingers, dyno tune and a AFCO heat exchanger.

I do plan on running E85 once its all said and done but I was just looking for some advice on what to purchase and what I will need with the VMP. I am not very knowledgeable about this but you got to start somewhere so any help is appreciated, thanks!
My man I know the search function is very picky on key words. Many threads have been discussed on this topic. Probably 2 to 3 in last month. Just scroll down a few pages in the engine or Terminator talk sections.

It sounds like your in no rush for the information so enjoy the research since ur still saving. It's a fun process. Lots of choices all good out there. Their isnt one winning combo!

You will decrease reilabilty and longevity likely with these mods! Do it right do it once. Especially if you don't upgrade other systems.

Need tune... upgraded fuel system... Injectors..... Better clutch with upgraded input shaft on trans... better tires... Not to mention suspension and brake upgrades are advised.

If doing E85 down line you should go all out of fuel system upgrades and injectors. Looking at fore fuel systems.

Keep us posted on the build or if you have more specific questions. Someone should be able to direct you better to a recent dicssion on the topic. Idk how to pull a thread in.. so I'll let someone else

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You'll need a MAF, fuel system (pumps, injectors or more), and a tune. With E85 in mind make sure your fuel system is compatible and your injectors etc. are big enough to handle the extra flow.

cj428mach

Established Member
Id get with Malcolm as he knows his stuff. He also has great prices and great customer service. He also remote tunes so he can provide a complete package for you.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Go all out return fuel system. Go strictly Fore. It is one of the most vital parts of any build when anticipating future use of e85. Also, (Only my advice) don't cut yourself short with the 2.3, be patient and go 2.65. You're going to have alot of potential out of a return fuel system and limit yourself to 700 wheel stock block...

coremaster21

Established Member
Thank you all for the replies! Can someone school me on the fuel systems? What does returnless mean and why must you have that for E85? What is a good fuel system that y'all recommend?

IllCobra

Established Member
Go all out return fuel system. Go strictly Fore. It is one of the most vital parts of any build when anticipating future use of e85. Also, (Only my advice) don't cut yourself short with the 2.3, be patient and go 2.65. You're going to have alot of potential out of a return fuel system and limit yourself to 700 wheel stock block...

If he limits himself to 700rwhp, wouldn't the 2.3 be perfect then on E85?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thank you all for the replies! Can someone school me on the fuel systems? What does returnless mean and why must you have that for E85? What is a good fuel system that y'all recommend?

Returnless is how our cars came from the factory. It means fuel pumps from the tank to the motor and never returns. Fuel pressure is regulated by the fuel pumps spinning faster or slower as needed.

Return is where fuel flows up to the motor and excess fuel flows back to the tank and is returned. A fuel pressure regulator is used up by the engine to regulate fuel pressure and the fuel pumps stay running at full power 100% of the time.

To go E85 does not require a return system. Many people just prefer it because it's a lot less headaches to deal with and tuning the car is a lot easier too. Some people will also experience hesitations on gear shifts when driving aggressively because of fuel pressure problems on returnless systems because the pumps can't spin down and back up fast enough or their tuner can't get the pumps to behave the way he's wanting. For these reasons a lot of people switch to return style. It drives well and tunes much easier.

The best fuel system out there by far is Fore Innovations. Their quality is second to none.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
I seen way more whipple in a terminator then vmp. 8 out of 10 when I saw peoples swap supercharger . 8 out of 10 it’s whipple .

Anyway each or each own I guess

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That why I trust the one been around longer and many already use it and happy with it . Myself include . Vmp look ugly as hell lol
I don't think they look bad, probably why I have one. The big reason I went tvs is the removable plenum. I already had to remove it once to replace injectors. With a whipple you might have to remove the blower just to swap some out.

If you like the looks of the whipple and hate the looks of the tvs, by all means buy the whipple. :)

cj428mach

Established Member
That why I trust the one been around longer and many already use it and happy with it . Myself include . Vmp look ugly as hell lol

I trust the one being installed by the car manufacturers with plans to go 100k miles. Eaton > Whipple in that respect.

I know my tvs removable inlet has saved me from pulling the blower 3 times for other repairs. My whipple nonremovable inlet required me to pull the blower once.

MalcolmV8

Established Member

That's a poor reason to recommend a blower. Just because it's been around longer doesn't mean anything. Like I said they're all fun. I've owned several of those power adders and I've worked, tuned and driven them all. All good fun. Pick what fits your budget and goals.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
If he limits himself to 700rwhp, wouldn't the 2.3 be perfect then on E85?
Sure. But I think far out in the future for my builds. And my personal advice is to do it once and be done. Why spend allll that money on a Fore system and hit 700 stock block on a 2.3 VMP when you can get a 2.9 gen2 Crusher and hit right at 750-800 or a gen 3 2.9 crusher and hit 800+ on same stock block? It's silly. You'll have a fuel system that's being limited by a blower. Again, speaking stock block...

You're not going to get ARH headers and put flowmasters on are you? Or get a huge throttle body and only run a drop in filter...

Guy is asking for opinions, that's my opinion.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I trust the one being installed by the car manufacturers with plans to go 100k miles. Eaton > Whipple in that respect.

I know my tvs removable inlet has saved me from pulling the blower 3 times for other repairs. My whipple nonremovable inlet required me to pull the blower once.

To be fair.....manufacturers aren't spec'ing out an eaton to run 20+psi for 100k miles.....more like 8psi. People aren't buying an aftermarket blower to spin 8psi. I'm sure a whipple would run pretty smooth for a loooong time if one only spun it 8psi.

Vmp's aren't without their hiccups. The intake air sensor depth is a documented issue....so much so people will mill down a brand new blower to correct it. Also, they have failed from bearing issues....it's not unheard of

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/vmp-tvs-gen-2-making-noise.1154503/#post-15824433

Now the removable inlet is a positive that's for sure.

cj428mach

Established Member
To be fair.....manufacturers aren't spec'ing out an eaton to run 20+psi for 100k miles.....more like 8psi. People aren't buying an aftermarket blower to spin 8psi. I'm sure a whipple would run pretty smooth for a loooong time if one only spun it 8psi.

Vmp's aren't without their hiccups. The intake air sensor depth is a documented issue....so much so people will mill down a brand new blower to correct it. Also, they have failed from bearing issues....it's not unheard of

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/vmp-tvs-gen-2-making-noise.1154503/#post-15824433

Now the removable inlet is a positive that's for sure.

No doubt they aren't perfect but to say im going with a whipple because they've been around longer doesn't make sense. Eaton makes anything and everything from switches, to rear ends, transmissions, to blowers that the oems use.

If tvs blowers weren't around id probably go back to a whipple as I think they make a good product. After reading all the gen 3 hype I was interested but I just can't do the nonremovable inlet again. Ill go 2.65 tvs.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
If tvs blowers weren't around id probably go back to a whipple as I think they make a good product. After reading all the gen 3 hype I was interested but I just can't do the nonremovable inlet again. Ill go 2.65 tvs.

I think these new 2.65 TVS blowers are going to be incredibly popular...exactly for that reason. Aside from technology and power... The removable inlet.

Users who are viewing this thread