USAA or NavyFed mortgages

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Fixing to buy my first home/condo in the next month or so. I wanted to see if anyone had any positive/negative experiences with mortgages from these financial institutions. I currently bank with USAA but ive heard good things about Navyfed. Also any words of wisdom for a first time home buyer is very much appreciated. I feel so clueless to the whole process even after doing some light research.

einehund

Established Member
FWIW, Look at the reviews for USAA morgages.... My realtor even told me if I was planning on financing with USAA, he wouldn't do it... I have USAA for insurance and banking, but after reading the reviews across multiple mediums, I went with Wells Fargo.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
FWIW, Look at the reviews for USAA morgages.... My realtor even told me if I was planning on financing with USAA, he wouldn't do it... I have USAA for insurance and banking, but after reading the reviews across multiple mediums, I went with Wells Fargo.

I noticed that, I wonder why their customer service is so bad regarding mortgages.

Thanks for the input gamble13GT. I will definitely keep them in mind.

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
I did a mortgage and refinance with Navy Federal and had a great experience. When I did the refinance at a lower rate, I will pay my mortgage off 5 years early and save 150 bucks a Month on payments. They came to me to sign the paperwork so everything was done on FAX machine and internet. I used my VA benefits to execute, but I was very pleased in their customer relations.
Funny my boss refinanced his home at the same time and had a few issues. His service rep was replaced and things worked out great. So I would make sure you have a good customer service rep and ask how much experience he/she has so the loan goes smooth.
I have USAA for car/house insurance and have no other banking experience with them.

Good luck with your experience.

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Various places... CA, UT, OK, been in TX and CO a
My roommate just closed on a house with USAA and hated it. I didn't use them when I bought my house, went with the builder's recommended financer and saved some money compared to the USAA quote, and it was fairly easy to do everything.

Words of wisdom for a house: If the house has a warranty make sure to use it! Have them fix anything and everything you can, saves you time and money! If it is a not new house try and have the seller include a warranty when you buy it, it doesn't cost a whole lot and it can cover a lot.

Good luck!

einehund

Established Member
I second the home warrantee. We made that a clause in the selling agreement that 1 year home warrantee would be included. in the first month owning the house, it saved me $1200. We renewed the home warrantee ourselves this year and it was $470 for the year. Well worth the cost IMO.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I've always heard good things with USAA when it came to insurance.

I used NavyFed when it comes to banking and loans. Look forward to using them with home loans. It also helps to have good credit :)

Sirraf

Established Member
Another Veteran's United Home loans here. People will scoff when I say this but I closed on my house in 19 days after offer with average credit. I closed on the house about 2 weeks ago. Veterans United is OUTSTANDING and very easy to use. I might have talked on the phone 3-4 times. Email was the main source of correspondence.

USAA for my insurance however...

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Fixing to buy my first home/condo in the next month or so. I wanted to see if anyone had any positive/negative experiences with mortgages from these financial institutions. I currently bank with USAA but ive heard good things about Navyfed. Also any words of wisdom for a first time home buyer is very much appreciated. I feel so clueless to the whole process even after doing some light research.

I just closed escrow using NFCU and it was relatively painless. When my realtor asked if I was using USAA, she informed me that they typically take much longer to close. Anyway, good luck. Are you using a VA COE?

sosslow

Established Member
If anyone wants the worst home buying experience ever then I highly recommend USAA. 45 days to close, zero communication, a closing date that was changed 3 times, and lost paperwork that had to be resent several times. I want to falcon punch the overies of the chick that recommend USAA.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i couldn't get approved with either but got in with wells fargo...4% for 30 years with a 621 credit score, barely passed by 1 pt for a VA loan.we have been in this house for 3 years, time flies OP

Users who are viewing this thread