Using 3in Griot’s backing on 6in DA

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
You will be fine. If you find the pad/paint getting too hot/etc, just lower your speed on the machine.

Yes, it's a good setup for smaller areas!

Blkblk13car

Established Member
You will be fine. If you find the pad/paint getting too hot/etc, just lower your speed on the machine.

Yes, it's a good setup for smaller areas!

Side questions for you- in general how’s the GT500 paint thickness? Also for two tiny chips with rust what would you recommend? Ironx and paint?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I just looked at my notes from a 13 or 14 I did. Readings were in the 4.0-4.3 range. However, don't go off of the readings I got, you need to check your vehicle, you never know what was done to it prior to you getting it. Always er on the side of caution!

Yes, I'd try some IronX gel maybe, then IPA wipedown, then paint/touch up them before they rust again.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
I just looked at my notes from a 13 or 14 I did. Readings were in the 4.0-4.3 range. However, don't go off of the readings I got, you need to check your vehicle, you never know what was done to it prior to you getting it. Always er on the side of caution!

Yes, I'd try some IronX gel maybe, then IPA wipedown, then paint/touch up them before they rust again.

Is there a thickness reader that’s rentable?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Not to my knowledge. You can pick a cheap one up for around 100-150 bucks that will do a decent job.

Or, if you are ever in my area, I'd be happy to take some readings for you!

Blkblk13car

Established Member
I saw the discussions on the 150$ one vs the 2300$ sonic meter that was the only “real” way to know layer thicknesses. Figured just having the total thickness reading and some context was good enough for me especially not bieng anything pro.
As for dropping by I’m not too far I believe (SFL) so once I get my wife through her schooling I honestly would like to have someone who’s got the tools and more importantly the expertise to do what can be done.

Just found ya’lls Instagram so def a follow from me

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Yes, it will give you an idea of what you are dealing with and that is good.

Yep, not too far from Miami, just across Alligator Alley from you.

Users who are viewing this thread