Vacuum Coolant Refill

ml504

Established Member
I purchased the Airlock coolant refill system to use on my 97 cobra. Anyone that has used this have any tips or tricks? I’m guessing you put it in the radiator overfill rather than the crossover tube? Thanks.

jgt58

Established Member
I purchased the Airlock coolant refill system to use on my 97 cobra. Anyone that has used this have any tips or tricks? I’m guessing you put it in the radiator overfill rather than the crossover tube? Thanks.
Nope crossover

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i was under the impression that if you were using a vacuum fluid exchanger like this, you use the coolant reservoir and that you didn't need to open the crossover.

(if not using a machine, then of course yes it has to be through the crossover)

ml504

Established Member
That’s what I’m confused about....trying to burp manually I’ve kept the reservoir closed and used the crossover tube. With this new tool is it the reservoir tank only?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
That’s what I’m confused about....trying to burp manually I’ve kept the reservoir closed and used the crossover tube. With this new tool is it the reservoir tank only?

yes i believe that with a machine like that it is reservoir tank only.

now i do not have first-hand experience with these machines - personally i have only ever done it manually and filled at the crossover tube. so i could be wrong.

but very early on when i first got my cobra i had brought it to a dealership for a coolant flush, and i noticed that they didn't touch the crossover tube. i was confused so i asked the service manager about it and they said they use a fluid exchange machine and they don't need to touch the crossover. if you look at the crossover plugs and how they are designed by ford, you can tell that they are not designed to be removed too easily, and all dealerships use these machines.

plus i believe over the years there have been a few folks on these boards who have used these machines and i am pretty sure that they have written that they only use the reservoir.

Helomech74

Established Member
Use the coolant expansion tank. This is the only way I fill or drain my coolant system and it works like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread