Vague PA tint laws?

69fb

Established Member
TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below a certain light transmittance percentage.

The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle.

The problem with this is I could get pulled over by a 60yr old officer with cataracts but his fellow LEO's could easily see inside and not pull me over - sounds like the 60yrd old is writing me a ticket.

I found information on PA tint law interpretation here:

PA Window Tinting Law, Statutes, and Regulations

The statue just seems very vague.

The webpage cites several other codes and one (American National Standard Z-26) which does reference a 70% light transmittance requirement, however it is interpreted by the author of the webpage to mean that so long as any 1 window allows 70% transmittance, you are legal.

Thoughts/Comments?

ModularFan

Established Member
It's illegal what more is there to know, 70% is the limit no ifs ans or buts. Put it this way no one makes 70% window tint, so anything you put on is considered illegal.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Funny website.

I liked the Bulletin board section. :lol1:

69fb

Established Member

Thanks...this goes along with the website I posted above. I suppose I'm hung up on the wording as this just does not seem very clear and leaves the amount of tint allowed up to interpretation by an individual officer. Why would there not be a "tint percentage" number stated?

"A person may not operate, on a highway, a motor vehicle with a front windshield, side window or side wing that has been equipped with a sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle."

So if the officer can see in the car I'm ok? I've had 35% tint in the past and one could pretty easily see inside the car - so is 35% legal according to the statute?

ModularFan

Established Member
Thanks...this goes along with the website I posted above. I suppose I'm hung up on the wording as this just does not seem very clear and leaves the amount of tint allowed up to interpretation by an individual officer. Why would there not be a "tint percentage" number stated?

"A person may not operate, on a highway, a motor vehicle with a front windshield, side window or side wing that has been equipped with a sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle."

So if the officer can see in the car I'm ok? I've had 35% tint in the past and one could pretty easily see inside the car - so is 35% legal according to the statute?

Here's a link that list all of the states and their percentages allowed. It is officers decretion if he wants to give you a citation for the tint. I have 20% all around on my car, except windshield and I've never been pulled over for it. But that doesn't mean I can't be ticketed. PA is a commonwealth state meaning the state its self and county you live in could have seperate laws from the actual state itself.
Welcome to TintLaws.com

Also it could lead to hassle in other states that have different tint laws, you can be ticketed in another state for your tint, if it doesn't comply with their state laws, like jersey for instance they are only allowed to have the backhalf of their vehicles tinted. they can stop you for having the fronts tinted. you in their state obey by their laws.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below a certain light transmittance percentage.

The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle.

The problem with this is I could get pulled over by a 60yr old officer with cataracts but his fellow LEO's could easily see inside and not pull me over - sounds like the 60yrd old is writing me a ticket.

I found information on PA tint law interpretation here:

PA Window Tinting Law, Statutes, and Regulations

The statue just seems very vague.

The webpage cites several other codes and one (American National Standard Z-26) which does reference a 70% light transmittance requirement, however it is interpreted by the author of the webpage to mean that so long as any 1 window allows 70% transmittance, you are legal.

Thoughts/Comments?

There is Pennsylvania Case Law that defines this statute as well as the PA. Admin Code.

69fb

Established Member
There is Pennsylvania Case Law that defines this statute as well as the PA. Admin Code.

You wouldn't have a link by chance, would you?

Here's another question:

Can police cars have tinted windows?

My local township PD has black cruisers with LIMO tinted windows on every window except the windsheild.

So, do police cars have to follow the same rules as everyone else?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
how is NO tint on anything other that the rear windows vague? lol

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
I have 35% tint and have been pulled over for it before in Pa. I got a warning and i went on my way. I was just driving normal and the officer was extremely nice about it. He said "I don't know if you were aware but if you drive by me and its hard for me to see you through your window i can stop you and give you a ticket for your tint". I was honest and said ya i knew that but it looked good on the car. He laughed and said "At least your honest". So by that i took it as its up to the Officer on if your tint is too dark.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
You wouldn't have a link by chance, would you?

Here's another question:

Can police cars have tinted windows?

My local township PD has black cruisers with LIMO tinted windows on every window except the windsheild.

So, do police cars have to follow the same rules as everyone else?

Is your google broken?

L.E.O.s and L.E. vehicles are exempted from a lot of things that the normal civilian is not so they can effectively perform the functions of their job.

69fb

Established Member
Is your google broken?.

If "case law" is readily accessible via my functioning google, then I will do a search.

L.E.O.s and L.E. vehicles are exempted from a lot of things that the normal civilian is not so they can effectively perform the functions of their job.

How about limo tint on their windows...are they exempt from that?

Maybe my google will provide the answer....

69fb

Established Member
. He said "I don't know if you were aware but if you drive by me and its hard for me to see you through your window i can stop you and give you a ticket for your tint". So by that i took it as its up to the Officer on if your tint is too dark.

That is the way I read the statue (and apparently that officer as well?)...but that's why I posted it up here for forum discussion..

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
In VA, LEO vehicles (not personal cars) are exempt from VA tint laws by statute.

ModularFan

Established Member
If "case law" is readily accessible via my functioning google, then I will do a search.

what part of "Law enforcement is exempt from tint law" dont you understand, they can spray paint their windows black if they wanted too.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Yes L.E. vehicles are exempt.

Yes, case law and statutes are both available through a web search.

txyaloo

Established Member

Really? The answer is on a link you quoted from earlier which means you supposedly read it...

§ 175.265. Exemption provisions.

(a) Exempt vehicles. The following vehicles are exempt from § 175.263 (relating to sun screening location):

(1) A hearse, ambulance or government vehicle.

Just so you don't ask more stupid questions, police cars are government vehicles. (I just want to make sure you don't think that's too vague.)

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member

^this seems to be the best bet. i've had tint on every vehicle I've owned so far and have only been pulled over once for it. By a state policeman at that too. i had 20% on my truck with the back done in 5%. got nailed on an over cast day for it. just a fix-it ticket though. i have never had any problems with 35% although my brother got stopped by a town cop for 35 all the way around on his SVT Focus. he was only required to remove the tint from the front windows.

So by that i took it as its up to the Officer on if your tint is too dark.

this too is how i would say its enforced. it all depends on the day/luck of the draw. for a long while i had a single cab short bed 4x4 ranger. had 5% all the way around on that with the back window double tinted. you could in no way see in that bitch. may as well have spray painted the back window black to be honest. NEVER got a ticket in that truck for ANYTHING. so i upgrade to a newer ranger (same configuration as my old one) with 20% and i get stopped. also, have 20% on my Mustang and never had a run-in. it seems to be a real grey area of the law if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread