EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Steeda-Valdosta-Police-Mustang.jpg

Azalea City Cruiser
The Valdosta Police Department will patrol in a hopped-up Steeda ’Stang
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Steeda Autosports

Late last year Steeda Autosports announced that it was continuing its tradition of building Special Service vehicles with its 2016 Steeda line of Mustangs for police, special service and military customers. Recently the company complete this example, which is earmarked for traffic enforcement, for the Valdosta Police Department.

If you are familiar with Steeda, you know the company’s expansive manufacturing facilities are located in Valdosta, Georgia, so it comes as know surprised that city law enforcement would turn to a local company for a more capable pursuit vehicle.

“From U.S. manufacturing facilities—to supporting the United States Military—to supporting Law Enforcement … Steeda has tremendous roots when it comes to their relationship with this great nation,” says the company. “This support is as strong as ever as Steeda Autosports continues their relationship with the Valdosta Police Deptartment dating back to 2010 when Steeda was challenged to improved safety features, upgrade braking systems and provide fuel saving technology modifications to improve miles per gallon.”

These vehicles are based on Steeda’s Q-series Mustangs that are available to the general public in naturally aspirated and supercharged variants. However, the Steeda Special Service vehicles are set up with the necessary lighting and communications upgrades and they are compatible with the commonly available ballistic protections used by law enforcement vehicles.

In the case of the Valdosta Police Department patrol car, it is a naturally aspirated example equipped with a variety of Steeda upgrades. Enhancing the performance are a Steeda no-tune-required cold air intake and axle-back exhaust. Meanwhile the handling is improved courtesy of Steeda sway bars (front and rear), a Steeda two-point G-trac brace, a Steeda strut-tower brace, a Steeda IRS subframe brace and Steeda subframe bushing spacer kit. In deference to the off-road duty most patrol cars are put through, this car retains the stock suspension springs for ground clearance.

For more on those mods, you can take a tour of this police car with Scott Boda, Steeda Autosports' Director of Manufacturing, right here…

[video=youtube;Gj-QRb-vsHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-QRb-vsHg[/video]

“The Steeda Police Interceptors are tested and proven law enforcement vehicles that reflect the do-anything commitment of Law Enforcement Agencies,” Dario Orlando, President of Steeda Autosports, said when this program was announced late last year. “We’ve selected specific components from that have been extensively race and track tested—leaving nothing to chance for law enforcement agents.”

For those interested in special service or consumer Mustangs built by Steeda Autosports, you can check out the Steeda Vehicles site right here.

1-Steeda-Valdosta-Police-Mustang.jpg

Steeda Autosports recently completed this Special Service S550 for the Police Department in Valdosta, Georgia.

2-Steeda-Valdosta-Police-Mustang.jpg

For agencies that want a stealthier patrol pony, Steeda offers its Special Service Mustangs in unmarked versions as well. We don’t think Valdosta PD has one of these yet, but you never know...

jbs$

Established Member
I am sure that this cop toy is a very wise expendure of hard earned Tax Payer money. Maybe it will be used to chase all of those 160MPH+ speeders that Valdosta has every day on it's streets. Ridiculous!

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I am sure that this cop toy is a very wise expendure of hard earned Tax Payer money. Maybe it will be used to chase all of those 160MPH+ speeders that Valdosta has every day on it's streets. Ridiculous!

Quick google search showed that they've been buying police mustangs for awhile now. If their taxpayers had a problem with it, I'm sure the issue would've been raised. For all we know the mustang was donated and the police package was the only incurred cost. You must have it pretty bad to bitch about someone else's stuff...

jbs$

Established Member
No kidding. Life must be tough for him

Actually life is not tough at all, you should have it so good. What I see is an impractical police car whose main use is to give out revenue producing traffic tickets. Piracy with a badge.

stiles40

Got SVT?
Established Member
Actually life is not tough at all, you should have it so good. What I see is an impractical police car whose main use is to give out revenue producing traffic tickets. Piracy with a badge.

That's great. I'm sure nobody cares what you "see" on this car forum. It's an article about a car, which happens to be a mustang.

jbs$

Established Member
You are missing the point, I am not running down Mustangs. What my problem is that this is a totally impractical police car for a small city such as Valdosta. It's only practical purpose is as part of an organized speed trap. That is not the purpose of government. It is, no doubt, a fun car for the cops to drive, but, again, providing fun rides for public employees is not the purpose of paying taxes. An all purpose Crown Vic or something similar is a far better use of the public funds.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Actually this is the norm for a lot of cities big or small. I remember the local sheriffs car in Sumter SC was a 05 or up Mustang GT. Needed? Probably not but who cares. Back home back when I was a teen, there was a undercover white and black fox body mustang gt's you had to watch for. Also the sheriff had an iroc z. Or just a few years back I saw an undercover new edge Mach 1 that pulled someone over on I95. Thought that was cool as hell.
But this could have been donated or even drug busted vehicles who knows. Plus they have had plenty of I75 high speed chases and this gives them an edge. I think it's cool to see. Hope to spot it soon, but on a good note. Maybe see it at pony wars at SGMP here soon.

likuid_inc

Established Member
Well if one of the purposes is to have a bad ass car and bring some attention to the city which it patrols, then it was a success! I am just jealous of the cop that gets to open it up, hes probably just praying for someone to try and get away hahahah

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
As if a police Charger or Taurus is cheap. People are acting like the police are driving around in a GT350.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I wonder what jbs$ think when he sees a cop on a motorcycle, or on a horse, or a bicycle?

jbs$

Established Member
I wonder what jbs$ think when he sees a cop on a motorcycle, or on a horse, or a bicycle?

The problem is that I understand exactly how the car will be used and disagree totally with it's purpose. Motorcycle cops are marginally more acceptable due to their ability to get to locations that may be impassable for cars.
Horse mounted cops are for crowd control and in my experience are never seen working alone or without backup on the ground.

gremlinsteve

Established Member
And fast cop cars are for acceleration away from a standstill up to merging speeds and then catching up with the violater. Believe it or not it is a safety issue.

jbs$

Established Member
And fast cop cars are for acceleration away from a standstill up to merging speeds and then catching up with the violater. Believe it or not it is a safety issue.

Few traffic ticket are "safety issues". I strongly suspect that well over 80% are revenue orientated, designed to produce income for the government agency issuing the ticket. Today, on a 4 lane section of NC 16, a Hwy. built to almost inter-state standards, on a section where for no obvious reason, the speed limits drops to 55mph, there were two State Troopers running a speed trap. No way in hell did this have anything to do with "safety".

Users who are viewing this thread