Value of a “blown-up” Terminator

BigBart33

Established Member
Technically not blown up but the engine needs a new crankshaft since MMR didn’t put the harmonic balancer washer on and it jacked up the keyway. I figure it’d cost me about $6k to get it fixed at a shop, $2k myself. Would work on it but it’s currently out of state, just sitting. Don’t have anywhere or any time to work on it anymore. The car has $10k+ in mods, most of the typical mods plus some except an aftermarket supercharger (fuel system, cams, ported heads/intake/supercharger, all the FTB stuff, Bilstein suspension, gears, twin disc clutch, aluminum flywheel, Metco pulleys, etc.).

2003 10th anniversary red convertible with 68k miles on the Midwest. Pretty clean other than the crank snout. I figure its worth $24-$28k in good running condition. I have an offer for $15k from someone who’s seen it run before and I feel like it’s just a steal for that price since realistically it needs about $2500 in parts and maybe 20hrs in labor but obviously that’s just not how this works. What would you all pay for such a Terminator?

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I would say it comes down to the finishes. I.E. paint,top and interior conditions. If when done it presents as a nice almost show car, I'd say 20k- 23k right now. However, if when done it's more of a driver quality 15k to 18k seems right.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd say it's probably worth 5k higher than your numbers. If you sell it for 15k I expect to see it parted out shortly.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
lmao at $15k you should have jumped like fookin immediately, OP.

You think a half way decent shop is going to sell a rebuilt motor along with removal and install for $6000??

03' White Snake

Established Member
It's worth a lot more than 15k, especially if it is a complete car. Some parts are very hard to find now a days. I see rollers with no engine and trans listed for 12-14K.

Depending on the crank damage, you can always have it repaired, double keyed, studded etc. Cost me $800 to have mine polished, doubled keyed and modded for a M16 bolt tapped to the first main.

Just food for thought,
Pull the motor yourself. Bring to a shop, tear down, fix crank, and re-assemble.... New gaskets, bearings etc. Put the motor back in yourself. Drive the car and enjoy, or sell it for mid 20's and walk away.

Shops will charge anywhere from $500-1000 just to pull the motor out and not do anything to it. Same to go back in. You are better off doing this yourself or with some friends to save some money.

robvas

Established Member
Or, pull the motor. Have it rebuilt. Put it back in yourself. Have it not run. Pull it out again . Put it back in. Have it run good for three weeks then have it start knocking. Pull motor again.

Then het pissed and sell it for 12

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It's worth a lot more than 15k, especially if it is a complete car. Some parts are very hard to find now a days. I see rollers with no engine and trans listed for 12-14K.

Depending on the crank damage, you can always have it repaired, double keyed, studded etc. Cost me $800 to have mine polished, doubled keyed and modded for a M16 bolt tapped to the first main.

Just food for thought,
Pull the motor yourself. Bring to a shop, tear down, fix crank, and re-assemble.... New gaskets, bearings etc. Put the motor back in yourself. Drive the car and enjoy, or sell it for mid 20's and walk away.

Shops will charge anywhere from $500-1000 just to pull the motor out and not do anything to it. Same to go back in. You are better off doing this yourself or with some friends to save some money.

lol

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member

Just food for thought,

You see rollers going for $14k? I must be doing something wrong if they are selling for that much. How many have actually sold for that price? Its real easy to type "pull a motor, take to machine shop, reinstall motor." Not everyone has the tools, space or knowledge. Between the frustration and shit ton of time it takes to do everything correctly and most importantly money. Telling OP what you just said is a fairytale man.

"So take it to a shop and have them remove and install the engine and trans." More money and that's not including all the bullshit you have to deal with if you trusted the shop and they aren't trustworthy.

OP, if someone offered you $15k for your car with a hurt motor and you didn't sell it, may God be with you on your future business ventures.

BigBart33

Established Member
At the end of the day it can easily be fixed for $10k so I don’t think I’m nuts since either way I’m coming out with about $15k. And if I fixed it I’d probably just keep driving it since I enjoy the car, it’s just been problematic. I have a hard time imaging that taking an engine apart, touching it up and replacing the crank would cost upwards of $6k-$7k though.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
At the end of the day it can easily be fixed for $10k so I don’t think I’m nuts since either way I’m coming out with about $15k. And if I fixed it I’d probably just keep driving it since I enjoy the car, it’s just been problematic. I have a hard time imaging that taking an engine apart, touching it up and replacing the crank would cost upwards of $6k-$7k though.

Unless you are doing it, it could run that and more easily.

robvas

Established Member
I see rollers posted for 10-12, and the guys posting them are always posting engines and other cars etc so if they don't put an engine in and sell them it must not be worth their time

Users who are viewing this thread