Vehicle Control Module replacement vs Tune

SlowShelby_TX

Established Member
I had the annoying problem of my brake lights constantly staying on, even when the car was shut down. I thought it was that simple brake pedal switch, but it turned out to be a short in the VCM. They replaced and programmed the VCM (not the ECU) and the Problem is fixed.

However, the car feels a good bit softer, on tip in and acceleration especially. I have a tune that has been installed and subtly tweak for years. Would it be possible for my tune to be overwritten through this process at all? If I tried to load the stock tune and reflash it with my Lund tune, could it possible brick the ECU? Is it possible the new VCM update has neutered the car with TC off? It feels better with advance track fully off.

TIA for the advice.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I had the annoying problem of my brake lights constantly staying on, even when the car was shut down. I thought it was that simple brake pedal switch, but it turned out to be a short in the VCM. They replaced and programmed the VCM (not the ECU) and the Problem is fixed.

However, the car feels a good bit softer, on tip in and acceleration especially. I have a tune that has been installed and subtly tweak for years. Would it be possible for my tune to be overwritten through this process at all? If I tried to load the stock tune and reflash it with my Lund tune, could it possible brick the ECU? Is it possible the new VCM update has neutered the car with TC off? It feels better with advance track fully off.

TIA for the advice.
Its possible that they had to flash the engine ECU back to stock to allow the new VCM to be programmed with as-built data. I know when I had to have my SRS ECU replaced (track incident) that I had to reflash my engine ECU back to stock. I had instant check engine light with all my mods, but it was able to let the Ford tech program the new module.

Contact Lund and see what they may recommend to do.

Users who are viewing this thread