VERY Loud Fan Since Install of New Fan Clutch - Why?

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
A month or two ago (just after I got the car) I replaced many, many parts to fix an overheating issue.

The fan clutch seemed to be the magic bullet. The thing runs almost too darned cool now, which is fine by me here in SoCal.

However, the fan is LOUD! I mean, louder than the aftermarket exhaust kind of loud. TOO LOUD if you ask me.

Why is this? I figured it needed to break in or something, but a few hundred miles now and it is just as loud as it was when I installed it.

I would love to go the electric fan route, as I actually noticed a drain on the power with the new clutch, but being as though I need to first get the 3G alternator, then get a good fan (I'm 36 and have learned to do it right the first time...no screwing around with this build!), etc, I figure I am $500+ to do it right.

In the meantime, any ideas or suggestions? This fan is almost embarrassing to drive around with. And yes, the fan is installed the correct direction (pulling air).

Any and all info appreciated!

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
it was a new clutch right? It could be real right or it could be the heavy duty version.

That's what I was thinking, it being tight. That's why I have waited a couple tanks of gas to see if it would break in or loosen up. So far no dice.

I ask on here only to see if it was just me or if other had witnessed the phenomenon.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Does it make the noise at all RPM's? Most fans can only support 3500-4000 rpm so be careful winding it up.

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
I drive pretty tame by Mustang enthusiast's standards. It's mainly at lower RPM's and as one would expect, it is when the engine is colder. Of course "colder" means anytime I have not been on the freeway for a while. This thing is loud almost all the time. Bummer.

Thanks for the words of caution. I was shocked as to how good a condition the fan was in when I changed the fan clutch. No cracks or anything. Nice. And then last week I noticed a crack here and there. I put 2 and 2 together and figured that now it is spinning a lot more it is taking it's toll on the poor fan.

I know all will be resolved with the electric setup, but I was hoping there was a trick in the meantime. I have my appointment to swap out (the God forbidden) 4.10's the car came to me with for some 3.55's next Saturday and was trying to get the funds together for some springs and MM cc plates and try to do that with the springs. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen though.

I guess I should just direct all the funds to the lottery and pray.

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
No sir. The fan is original to the car. The fan clutch is new. The fan was in great shape until I put the new fan clutch on. Now that the new fan clutch is causing the fan to spin (and spin fast) the brittle plastic is beginning to crack.

I really need to do that electric fan.

Last edited:

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
No, but I think the next long drive I will have to. The thing is not getting better as time goes by to say the least. (Wouldn't that be great though? If cars could heal? Anyway...)

$175-200 for the alternator, $20ish more for wiring and connectors. I am thinking around $150-200 for a nice fan and then an unknown amount for a new coolant overflow tank of some sort.

Yikes. I could have a new manifold for this much money!

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
I swear, just for something I have now that works fine, too well in fact. I just want to be good and get all the little stuff done completely before I go ape-poop.

Come on x-mas bonus!

NC Mystic

Established Member
i am not liking the fan on my fox either, first pushrod and car with non electric fan. what alternator and fan are you going with i've been looking around but never done homework on them before

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have the original Black magic fan on mine...it works fine, or it did. It's only rated to support stock power levels with A/C, so if you have mods, choose your electric fan carefully.

I just bought the new Black magic extreme fan this week (should be here tomorrow) to replace the current one. It flows 3300 cfm, which I'm hoping will be enough. There are better, and cheaper alternatives though. See if you can find a Mark VIII fan at the junk yard. Those things flow 4000+cfm, although they draw 30+amps. You can get a DCC controller for it so it's not on all the time, and if you do it right, the install looks decent.

Since I'd already ordered the BM fan, I figured I'd try it first, but if it doesn't flow enough I'll be getting a Mark VIII unit. I've read you can pick them up for about 40 bucks from the yard, so it's probably worth grabbing one.

And I sympathize with you having to re-arrange your budget. I just got my car back on the road last week, and I was about to order a twEEcEr when I noticed the car was running to warm for my liking. I just dropped 700 on cooling system upgrades, so now the tune will have to wait a while. Sucks, but I understand.

trendkilllx

Established Member
The Mark VIII fan works great for me. I already had a good alternator so I picked up the fan from a junkyard. I bought a Hayden adjustable fan controller with the threaded probe, some extra heavy gauge wire. They spike pretty high on start up so I also got a 75amp relay.

88 347 stroker

Established Member

NC Mystic

Established Member
hope this is on topic but my fox is my daily driver, i have underdrive pullies and want to put an electric fan on, if i go with the black magic or mark fan what alternator do i need? also, i really don't want to be having to flip a switch on or off, can you wire those things so they kick on automatically like in my cobra?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
this may be overkill for your application but i have had one for years and have never had a problem. it seams to be more expensive than i remember paying, but im happy enough with the quality and reliability of mine I would pay this price to get another one. just throwing out some options and info to help you make your choice.

Flex-a-lite 185 - Flex-a-lite Black Magic Xtreme Series Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I just bought that exact fan. Supposed to show up today. It's a little less expensive over at LRS FYI.

hope this is on topic but my fox is my daily driver, i have underdrive pullies and want to put an electric fan on, if i go with the black magic or mark fan what alternator do i need? also, i really don't want to be having to flip a switch on or off, can you wire those things so they kick on automatically like in my cobra?

With either one of those fans I'd get the 3g alternator setup. The Mark VIII fan draws 33amps peak, and I think that BM fan draws about 20. In either case, that'd put a nice strain on the factory alternator, which is weak to begin with.

As for the switch...that's not neccessary. The Black Magic fan is thermostatically controlled, it only comes on when the radiator hits X temp. There is an adjustment on the fan. It also has hookups for A/C and a manual switch if you want to use them.

The Mark VIII fan will work however you wire it (I suppose this could be true for the black magic fan too). But you can get a DCC controller for the lincoln fan that will allow the fan to turn on and off with a thermostat, so you don't have to run it all the time.

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
Excellent info!

As if things weren't stretched enough, I have been MIA due to setting up the new computer I just had to buy. Jeepers!

Again, great info. I think I personally (I know others have been jumping in too, so I exclude myself there) have enough info on fans. I think I just need to decide on the alternator next. PA Performance (IIRC) should be my "go-to" there.

Users who are viewing this thread