Vibe coming from....

Ray Ackerman

Established Member
I spoke to Derio (hope i spelled his name right)He is the owner of Steeda.
I asked him if Steeda was working on anything to fix the vibe on the 03 Cobra. He said not at this time,BUT the vibe is coming from the bushings on the IRS.And Ford is aware of it.

I don't know if this has been brought up already,does anyone have any info?Or know if Ford is working on a TSB for the IRS bushing/Vibe?

Last edited:

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Ray Ackerman
I spoke to Derio (hope i spelled his name right)He is the owner of Steeda.
I asked him if Steeda was working on anything to fix the vibe on the 03 Cobra. He said not at this time,BUT the vibe is coming from the bushings on the IRS.And Ford is aware of it.

I don't know if this has been brought up already,does anyone have any info?Or know if Ford is working on a TSB for the IRS bushing/Vibe?

I thought others had the d/s replaced and in most cases that took care of the 80 mph vibe. I'm bringing mine in on Wednesday for the new d/s. I hope it works.

i8u

Established Member
Haven't heard anything about it. No tsb's for it yet. I'm sure if this is true.....ford will have a fix shortly. :beer:

Ray Ackerman

Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
Haven't heard anything about it. No tsb's for it yet. I'm sure if this is true.....ford will have a fix shortly. :beer:

My 03 is back at the dealer today for the vibe,I already had the DS replaced,wheels balanced etc... Hope they pin point it this time.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Ray Ackerman
My 03 is back at the dealer today for the vibe,I already had the DS replaced,wheels balanced etc... Hope they pin point it this time.

Have they checked for road force variation? I had one bad tire.
Another device they have is an EVA (electronic vibration anylasis) Machine. They can use this to figure out where the vibe is coming from. Very cool machine. Anyways good luck and I hope you get it taken care of.:beer:

Ray Ackerman

Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
Have they checked for road force variation? I had one bad tire.
Another device they have is an EVA (electronic vibration anylasis) Machine. They can use this to figure out where the vibe is coming from. Very cool machine. Anyways good luck and I hope you get it taken care of.:beer:

Were is what's on my dealer invoice:

Customer states:has high speed vibration sop here
4602 code 41
Drive shaft yoke binding in tailshaft of transmission.
Also tires out of balance.
Replaced driveshaft per previous diagnosis. Condition
improved by 50 percent.rerformed NVH diag. measured runout
and road force variation on all 4 tires.Tires were in spec.
All 4 were out of balance.Load balanced all 4 tires.Road test.Condition corrected.
Out miles 1384.

I'll ask about the EVA.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I have not heard anything about bushings being a cause for the vibe, although I know of at least one guy that posts on here that had to have his IRS replaced (by SVT) to eliminate it. Replacing the DS fixed it on mine.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I've watched this "Vibe" issue progress since the 99 Cobra. It's not new. There isn't going to be some "one-size-fits-all" cure. My 99 had it and after a rear gear change and a 1/4 turn of the DS, it was gone. My 03 doesn't have it. I'm sure it has to do with the IRS, but I doubt the IRS is the cause. My guess is that the IRS is just very sensitive to any imbalance and it becomes a detective game for the NVH people to figure out. If it were a simple fix, don't you think they would have done it since the 99 released with the same issues :??: I think the bushings are already a different design than the ones that were on my 99. I think the new crossmember and the weight under the differential were attempts to resolve or at least lessen the issue. I know with the 99's that if the dealership tried and tried to resolve it without success, Ford would fly their NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) expert out to work on it. I guess what I'm saying is if you have it and it bugs you, keep at it with the dealership(s) until you are happy. Don't wait for the miracle cure.

ALL JMHO

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I agree. Since the IRS is bolted right to the subframe, this makes our cars very susceptible to vibration problems. A lot of bad DS's seemed to escape the factory, so replacing them did fix a lot of cars but certainly not all of them. So yes, there is no global fix.

Users who are viewing this thread