vibration @ 80+ mph

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
Wow I just noticed this thread. I have the 80+ mph vibration too and wondering if it's a driveshaft issue...... if anyone figures it out, please post up.

I given you guys the answer twice in this thread, but apparently I'm falling on deaf ears.

1BadAzzGT

Established Member
I given you guys the answer twice in this thread, but apparently I'm falling on deaf ears.

Nope not on deaf ears but it didn't sound like you were 100% sure if this is the issue or not. I do know the pinion angle will reek havoc on things and will give this a shot. Thanks. :beer:

bgraiders323

Established Member
what i dont understand is it vibrates a little like at 55mph then it starts again at 80mph then it gets worse as i go faster. I can kinda see that its a pinion angle issue, but it vibrates during acceleration, decceleration, and in neutral. as long as im going 80+mph. Doesnt the pinion angle change during those 3 modes or status???? I know they have a TSB on driveline vibration. 2003 Ford Mustang TSBs -- [ CarComplaints.com ]

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Just to let you know, the previous owner of my car replaced the driveshaft because of vibration at around 80mph, IIRC; I would start with the little things and work my way up to this...

bgraiders323

Established Member
did changing the driveshaft help??? I'm thinking that when they changed my diff bushings, they put the driveshaft off. Imma check it out on my friends lift this weekend!!!

bgraiders323

Established Member
I lifted my car up couple days ago and noticed that i was missing that big rubber weight that hangs from the diff, so im taking it back to the shop that did my bushings, and telling them WTF??!! why didnt they put that shit back!! Im hoping that is the problem!!!!

bgraiders323

Established Member
went to the shop where they did my diff bushings to have them check out the whole driveline and they really didnt find SHIT, only thing they found was that my motor mounts are kinda Messed up!! could it be that causing my rearview mirror to look blurry??? come on you guys help me out

this shit pisses me off!!!!!

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
When i had this issue it was my front right hub, then i got new tiers, came back on the defective tiers changed those and gone but i would also check the wheel it self cuz both my fronts have a hope in the rim check the rim without the tiers on them.

bgraiders323

Established Member
yea, one of my rims has a dent on the edge. and i was thinking about the front hubs also, but how would i check those for out of round? and why would they get missed up??

bgraiders323

Established Member
im also thinking could my front suspension be bouncing to much or the tires? i also have to do my alignment!! Can that cause vibration????

AssPikle

Established Member
Try unbolting your driveshaft and rotating it 90, then 180, then 270 degrees and driving the car at 80 for each until it is gone. It truly does make a difference and does not cost a penny. if it does remain, then have the tires checked first, if they are good have the shaft balanced. Trust me, this will work.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
what i dont understand is it vibrates a little like at 55mph then it starts again at 80mph then it gets worse as i go faster. I can kinda see that its a pinion angle issue, but it vibrates during acceleration, decceleration, and in neutral. as long as im going 80+mph.

For the past few months I had this issue. I didn't understand what the hell it was, or how it came about since the car rode fine, then one day started vibrating like crazy.

I had the exact same symptoms as you. Light vibration at 55mph, then at 80+ it was so bad I had to limit my speed to less than 80. This was at WOT, cruising, decel, whatever. Decel was probably the worst, but after 80+, it got so bad I couldn't go WOT at all.

So, I had to do a pad and rotor upgrade and decided to check the balance of the tires to eliminate that from being the issue. When I took my front wheels off, neither wheel had any weights. When getting them re-balanced, one of tires didn't balance easy, and had "play" in it. The machine told the tech. to add a weight for balance, so he added one. Then he checked it again, and it told him to take away a weight for balance, so he took one away. The machine told him to do this back and forth a few times. He hinted towards it being a defective tire (not perfectly round), because all of my rims where round.

I got the wheels back, bolted them on, and the vibration is just about gone. I now only have it cruising at 95+, which I don't cruise at those speeds anyway. However, I can go WOT just fine. Did a few WOT pulls and the car felt good. Even took it to 140mph on one of the pulls to really put it to the test. The car had no vibration all the way through.

The tire is still 'defective' or whatever is wrong with it. I just haven't called BFG to deal with it yet.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Thats funny my defective tiers were also BFs got the new ones and gone however my rim has a small hope cant even really feel it but one good excuse to buy rims.

cajun cobra

Established Member
Is your car lowered and if so did you get an alignment? I cut the springs in mine and didnt get an alignment. Everything seemed fine for about a year then I noticed what sounded like a faint grinding noise coming from the front end when coming to a stop. Also found I had a pretty bad vibration starting at about 100mph. Long story short front tires were bad. The tires looked good and had plenty of tread but when I passed my along the inside edge of the tire it was very lumpy. Two new tires and 4 wheel alignment = no more vibe.

webleedorange61

GO HORNS!!
Established Member
bump im having the same problem but its more of a shaking in the steering wheel. Just had the tires balanced and it didnt help.

AssPikle

Established Member
bump im having the same problem but its more of a shaking in the steering wheel. Just had the tires balanced and it didnt help.

Try moving the front tires to the back. If you have offset tire sizes front to back but you can still move them, try it to see if the vibes move. If not, then you can rule out the wheels and tires. I have seen tires balance but still run out enough to cause a vibration. 9/10 times it is a bad tire (unless it is during braking), but rotate for a test run to verify. If it is during braking only, it is in the rotors or a loose wheel bearing. Also, if the pedal pulsates, your rotors are swollen, if the wheel shakes then they are warped. Both conditions may be fixed with turning the rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread