[VIDEO] Cobra Won't Start

vipergts281

Established Member
Here is a video of my friends 2003 Cobra. Has about 95,000 miles on it.

Last year the battery and alternator went. Alternator was replaced with a 105 amp. Battery was replaced...but not with the "correct" battery, bigger than it needs to be.

Anyway, after the alt was installed the car started and ran for 5 minutes. She went to start it the next day and it started fine but after 10 seconds made a weird noise (she described it as a "shrill" sound). So she shut it off. Went to start it again and it sounded like it does in the video. Car has been sitting since she last tried to start it. That was like 6 months ago.

Video was taken today. I put my battery in the car since hers was now dead and I didn't have cables or a way to charge it. My battery is 2 months old, so it's not a battery issue.

Alt is the wrong one, but wouldn't the car at least start with a 105 amp??

Can't be the starter because the car wouldn't even do anything, correct?

You could hear the fuel pumps when you turned the key. I didn't check to see if there was any spark.

Anyone know what this could be? Wish I could give more info, but I am not the familiar with engines so I couldn't really diagnose it much while with the car.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t6wenYxp1k"]YouTube - 2003 Cobra Not Starting[/nomedia]

Thanks.

Last edited:

beastmar

Established Member
I'd try to jump start the car. I know you said you didn't have cables but to me it seems like the car isn't getting enough juice to start.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
so short u cant tell anything. if you crank on it for more than 5 sec. does it sound like it's dragging (getting slower)? Theft light flashing? time to get ur hands dirty. check for spark, check for inj. pulse. and fuel press.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Sounds like there is no compression, maybe your cam timing is off (jumped chain) dont take my word for it but in the short video to me thats what it sounds like.

vipergts281

Established Member
so short u cant tell anything. if you crank on it for more than 5 sec. does it sound like it's dragging (getting slower)? Theft light flashing? time to get ur hands dirty. check for spark, check for inj. pulse. and fuel press.
2 hours from the car right now, so I can't crank on it for a longer period of time.

And how would I check for spark, inj. pulse, and fuel pressure?

Sounds like there is no compression, maybe your cam timing is off (jumped chain) dont take my word for it but in the short video to me thats what it sounds like.
I talked to someone else and they mentioned something about the timing chain.

Is that easy to check or no?

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I talked to someone else and they mentioned something about the timing chain.

Is that easy to check or no?

Not to scare you but its a bit difficult. You will have to remove all of the components in front of the engine, timing cover, valve covers and check all the sprockets that align dot-to-dot and go from there.

Keep us posted and goodluck!

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Not to scare you but its a bit difficult. You will have to remove all of the components in front of the engine, timing cover, valve covers and check all the sprockets that align dot-to-dot and go from there.

Keep us posted and goodluck!
Haha, that sounds like a job I am going to stay far away from. I only know basic stuff when it comes to working/fixing cars.

Thanks for your posts. :beer:

vipergts281

Established Member
Just edited my first post. Added the bold part...

"Anyway, after the alt was installed the car started and ran for 5 minutes. She went to start it the next day and it started fine but after 10 seconds made a weird noise (she described it as a "shrill" sound). So she shut it off. Went to start it again and it sounded like it does in the video. Car has been sitting since she last tried to start it. That was like 6 months ago"

Not sure if this changes anything?? I guess the $64,000 question is "what caused/made that sound after 10 seconds of it running fine?"

kleistang

Established Member
try to jump start. check if you have spark. check if the crank position sensor is connected.

its in the lower passenger side of the block close to the crank pulley. there are 2 connectors around there make sure that they are connected

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
the only sound i here is the pivot on the clutch fork squeak before u hit the key. when it's running there's a diff. noise you say? belt squeak, or a noise out of the new alt, maybe. hard to say without hearing that noise. focus on gettin her to run again. take a coil out. use a spark tester or an old plug as long as it's touching some thing metal on the motor. crank and check for spark. you need a scan tool or a mech. gauge to read fuel press. off the schrader valve on the fuel rail. scan tool reading the PID for FRP will show you fuel press. too

Users who are viewing this thread