Vinegar w/ car wash??

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
So i spent about an hour washing the car today w/ a new soap. Left the car looking like shit, w/ residue. I was told to put vinegar in with the soap and that it wouldnt leave any residue. This wouldnt hurt the paint would it?

Dixie96Cobra

Established Member
Vinegar is acetic....so I could see it possibly hurting it. Maybe not a small amount though. You may get a better response in Show-n-Shine.

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
The only time i used vinegar is in diluted for(with water) to clean the windows. Dont use it on the paint. Oh and throw away the armorall kit, or use it for the beater

uofipilot

Established Member
i dont know about mixing it with soap, but of you dilute it 50/50 with water, it will take off hard water spots / other crappy residue. Friends used this on their boat after being on the water, and it made it shine really easily. Spray and wipe.

Boats are fiberglass though, and I don't think they're painted like cars are. I used this a number of times on our old saturn with no problems.

Toasty

Established Member
i dont know about mixing it with soap, but of you dilute it 50/50 with water, it will take off hard water spots / other crappy residue. Friends used this on their boat after being on the water, and it made it shine really easily. Spray and wipe.

Boats are fiberglass though, and I don't think they're painted like cars are. I used this a number of times on our old saturn with no problems.

I think boats use an acrylic enamel finish IIRC. This is the same as cars used to be before base/clear systems came into fashion.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
i think if you use a real small amount in a bucket of water you should be ok, i do know it will help with the water spots

crazycarlo

Established Member
Ive wiped my entire car off before with vinegar right before i was it. it does removes alot of stuff from the paint but I make sure I wash it really, really good right afterwards.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
try a tablespoon of gas in your wash bucket with soap. it will help cut the grime off. when my grandfather was alive (he was a body man, one of the best on this end of the country back then) he always recommended his customers do that once a year to cut any crud off the paint. then wax after im sure, but this was back in the days of lead paint (50's and 60's) so todays paint may react diffrent. but then again, a good wash with some Duragloss soap and a quick wax may be all she needs

My94GT

Established Member
i personally use dawn dish doap from time to time to clean off old wax and what not then i clay bar and hand way the car. for normal washign i use gnerally and soap and if it comes out hazy or water spoted ill use some quick spray detail spray and wipe it back down.

MikeW

Established Member
i personally use dawn dish doap from time to time to clean off old wax and what not then i clay bar and hand way the car. for normal washign i use gnerally and soap and if it comes out hazy or water spoted ill use some quick spray detail spray and wipe it back down.

Dawn is the best :beer:

MikeW

Established Member
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=FAQ&Store_Code=Z

Q: Ok, I just received my Zaino products. What should I do to my paint before applying my Zaino?

A: The first thing you should do is wash your vehicle thoroughly with Dawn (or comparable) dish soap to remove any wax, grease, and oil from your paint. Then, my recommendation is to use Z-18 ClayBar to remove any bonded surface contaminants such as rail dust, tree sap, bug marks, or hard water deposits from the paint before applying any of your Zaino products.Using Clay is optional, but it really does make a difference!!

Users who are viewing this thread