Viper or GT????

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
The original GT-40 has the most beautiful automotive design ever made. This car was made to be an American "Ferrari". There is really no contest between a Viper and the GT (IMHO). 20 years from now this new GT will still be sought after by most and prized by their owners, while the 2003 viper will either have been remodeled to look completely different or discontinued altogether.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Randy Fontenot
.I spoke tp Ciener/Woods in North-Carolina,to Mr. Ed Woods,& he told me he allready has 8 sold & has 3 left he will beable to sell.

Are you referring to GT40's like I think you are??? If so, I salute Mr. Woods with a :bash: for yanking your chain.

Sax1031

Established Member
I think the new Vipers look awful. The GTS vipers from 95 or 96 to 2002 looked very good. I think it is one of the best looking car made. I hate the new viper. Like I am not a big fan of the new GTO, looks like a monte carlo and cavalier to me.

Also, does anyone have specs on the GT. Any performance specs?

I thought the transmissions for the mid-engine cars were not that strong, like it you got traction with slicks you could easily kill the transmission.

I personally like the look of the GT.

Sax1031

Established Member
I would like to see track times of the old GT-40s compared to new Vipers. Are they close?

Also if I was somebody like Bill Gates and had the money to buy anything I would choose the GT just because it will be more rare. But if I was that rich I would have a Viper too. I would also have an Enzo Ferrari.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Originally posted by Sax1031
I would like to see track times of the old GT-40s compared to new Vipers. Are they close?

Also if I was somebody like Bill Gates and had the money to buy anything I would choose the GT just because it will be more rare. But if I was that rich I would have a Viper too. I would also have an Enzo Ferrari.

The Mk I with the 427 side oilers hit 0-60 in 4 to 4.5 done over a G on Bi plyus tires 200 ft Skid pad and hit 210 220 MPH on the long strech at Le Mans the reason the MPH has so big of a gap has to do with the lack of computer timing in 66-69.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by NastyWS6
I would much rather have the viper if not for anything else merely being able to save the extra 60k

Why don't you keep your bird, and pocket the $100,000 :rolleyes:

Lame reasoning.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
I believe that when the Ford GT gets through with the Viper, the Viper will be better known as the Garden Snake. It will be that much of a mismatch. And as for performance
upgrades, I don't think Ford Racing will stand for second place. Too much of Ford's future rides on the GT's success.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
In a word, Yes. Think of Dodge/Chrysler's reputation in pre- Viper days. When the Viper was announced, few believed that there was any truth to what it would be at all. Yet to this day, it is the best performance image enhancing advertising Dodge/Chrysler has. And Ford is building the GT specifically to answer the challenge of Viper and Vette. For that reason alone, I cannot believe that Ford is building the GT to come in second or third to Viper or Vette. Remember, where the Cobra is too big/heavy/utilitarian to have a chance of getting the job done, the GT isn't.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Dodges situation in the early 90's was totally different than that of Fords today...

Ford is building this as a special addition car, it is not in any financial trouble, and even if the GT doesnt go over very well ford will go on.

When Dodge designed the viper, they had just come out of the 80's after barely escaping bankruptcy and they needed to design a car that would become a symbol of what mopar muscle stands for. That was a do or die situation.

This new GT is awsome dont get me wrong, but if it doesnt go over for ford its deffinatly not the end of ford performance as we know it... they will design others. I dont see why the GT shouldnt do just fine though.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Ford must make a statement with the GT. And for whatever reason, (and you don't even have to look beyond postings on this forum) too many people feel that Ford CANNOT/WILLNOT manufacture a vehicle which will out perform either/both Viper/Z06Vette. That Chrysler was near to going belly up has nothing to do with Ford's need to make the GT - a GT which will put the public on notice as to Ford's unique standing among American auto manufacturers. The GT40 repeatedly won it all at Lemans, and Ford alone among American car companies has done so. The GT that Ford releases to the public must and will stomp the competition.

Chevykiller

Established Member
TRUE BLUE DOESNT SOUND SO TRUE. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME OF BETTER VALUE THEN EXPLAIN TO ME WHY SOMEONE WOULD PAY $80K DOLLARS FOR A PORCSHE THAT HAS 300 HOARSE POWER. THE GT IS A SYMBOL OR A FLAGSHIP IF YOU WILL FOR FORD, AND ITS ALL ABOUT PEOPLE BUYING TO RUB IT IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE ONE. I LIKE THAT ITS SOO EXPENSIVE, THAT JUST MAKES IT SO SOMEONE LIKE YOU CANT BUY IT! IF YOU WANT TO BEAT THE WHOLE VALUE ISSUE INTO THE GROUND THEN WHY DONT YOU BUY A CIVIC FOR $6000 AND SPEND $10000 on it then it would be a "better value" then your true blue ass. :burn:

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
GT=prestige and a rich racing heritage...It did in Lemans what no one ever thought possible in that time.Dethrown the unstoppable Ferrari......nuff said....

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by MMAZZA
TRUE BLUE DOESNT SOUND SO TRUE. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME OF BETTER VALUE THEN EXPLAIN TO ME WHY SOMEONE WOULD PAY $80K DOLLARS FOR A PORCSHE THAT HAS 300 HOARSE POWER. THE GT IS A SYMBOL OR A FLAGSHIP IF YOU WILL FOR FORD, AND ITS ALL ABOUT PEOPLE BUYING TO RUB IT IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE ONE. I LIKE THAT ITS SOO EXPENSIVE, THAT JUST MAKES IT SO SOMEONE LIKE YOU CANT BUY IT! IF YOU WANT TO BEAT THE WHOLE VALUE ISSUE INTO THE GROUND THEN WHY DONT YOU BUY A CIVIC FOR $6000 AND SPEND $10000 on it then it would be a "better value" then your true blue ass. :burn:

Uh..........yeah.

Go drive a $80K Porsche then you tell me, that's an easy one to answer. Don't get all bent out of shape we are all just expressing our opinions here, it is America.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread