VMP Gen 2 case and intake porting results...

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I had Bret Barber at Airflow Flow Solutions, port my lower intake and supercharger case. Here are the results. Bear in mind that these pulls were done in 3rd gear as I have a 12' car and didn't get a dyno lock file for 4th gear before my "before" dyno test, so I dynoed in 3rd for the after numbers for consistency. I don't run as much boost as most with a built bottom end do, so I was unsure what to expect. I gained almost 34rwhp! Boost dropped 4lbs from 15.5 to 11.5. There was no ice used for the before or after. My modifications are as follows:

https://www.facebook.com/Airflowsolutions/

JLT Big Air
VMP Twin Jet 67mm
VMP Gen 2
69mm pulley (6 rib) - Stock lower
Stock manifolds
X-pipe
Modified stock over axles
Custom 50 series Flowmaster axle back (2-1/2")
Stock 6r80 and stock converter (FTW!)
Fore fuel system on E85

Thanks Bret!

6624f3aa11ca5056fbc1ab8bd468e650.jpg

a8640fa9c32b29739bdd8723e8464dcc.jpg
e7ba5d3f852e8bea51565516a9d91b21.jpg

Last edited:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I ran out of time with the 148mm. It should be ready this week and on the car, but dyno testing will probably have to wait for spring as I'm switching back to 93/Torco for winter today.

I tested the 72mm. Another post will follow soon.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
not too bad. wud like to see wat it does on 93 pump. how much did they charge for 34 hp?

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Hey Brett. I do run 93/Torco occasionally, but haven't dynoed on it. Lower intake and case porting is around $1500. The more boost you run, the bigger the gains of course. Imo this is extremely reasonable considering it increases power and torque without requiring me to run any extra rpms or extra boost to get the gains, and it also dropped my boost pressure.

Famine

Established Member
I may have to do this down the line. How is the auto with the blower? Stock gear im guessing. I was contemplating a switch in transmission and wondering your thoughts on the 6r80.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
very common mod for the small blower GM guys (CTSV, old ZL1). Ive always wondered what porting would do on a bad ass blower like a 2.3 TVS.

great results OP!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea I agree thats FREE hp lol and wen u make more boost it will only benefit u more. I wud consider a methanol kit if ur lookn for more free hp on 93. only cause the E85 drinks gas! but then again if its local to u at every pump I guess it won't make much difference but I wud have a tune anyway.

dont tune for fuel and u will be fine. I spend most of my life in the Turbo Buick world and Alky kits there are as common as rubber tires on wheels. don't see a lot of guys running alky kits in the Mustang world but I'm currently putting one on my Turbo Mustang now so I will let u know how it pans out

gonna do a base pull first with str8 93 octane then install the alky kit and retune it and see wat it does.

yea Auto is the shit! never goin back to a stick! did u change ur converter? that PD has gotta be a blast on the street with that Auto makn almost 800 hp lol dam that sounds fun!

that 4 lb drop is just crazy! money well spent for sure!

Hey Brett. I do run 93/Torco occasionally, but haven't dynoed on it. Lower intake and case porting is around $1500. The more boost you run, the bigger the gains of course. Imo this is extremely reasonable considering it increases power and torque without requiring me to run any extra rpms or extra boost to get the gains, and it also dropped my boost pressure.

Last edited:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Thanks man. My car is a weekend toy and yes, there is a good source for E85 very close to my house.

Stock converter. It was a part of the plan with the 6R80/TVS way back when, in 2012 when I decided to do this. I saw the success that the Starkey's (VMP) were having with Rebecca's car and wanted to emulate it.

Did you see my other thread with the throttle body test after the port? I picked up even more.

Definitely post your results. I think methanol injection for octane isn't a big deal in the Mustang world since we have E85. I do think it could have more of a place with the centrifugal and turbo crowd than it currently does for intercooling.

And yes, I am 100% pleased with the port work.

Last edited:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Definitely not planning on a new converter. I like the stock piece. With the power delivery of the VMP TVS, the car is very responsive at any rpm and just a blast.

Famine

Established Member
Definitely not planning on a new converter. I like the stock piece. With the power delivery of the VMP TVS, the car is very responsive at any rpm and just a blast.
Thanks man. I was just curious because im trying to come up with a game plan for my 6r80 swap. Didnt get any replies in my thread asking which converter to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread