VMP Gen 2 TVS Carb certification testing (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Hi Guys,

I am currently involved with VMP Tuning to carb certify their Gen 2 TVS blower. I have had some great help from my local mod shop Advanced Auto & Electric in San Ramon CA to swap out the stock TVS for VMPs Gen 2 TVS. I can't say enough about these guys. They have done most of the installs on my car as I have neither the time, nor the skill to do all this stuff. They also bolted back my stock cats so I can get the car ready for SEMA in Southern California for testing. Here are some pics of the install as well as the car being delivered to SEMA for the certification testing.

Install Day
21442029342_443ccc62d3_b.jpg

Yes, thats a 93 Cobra with a Terminator motor getting ready for a Whipple upgrade
21426768046_18ce5a1e94_b.jpg

Something no other Mustang guy would pay to do....swapping the off road h pipe for the stockers with cats
21461518751_174dd46fe6_b.jpg

Out with the old...
20830287024_d1a9eb96b9_b.jpg

Stock Trinity TVS on top vs Gen 2 VMP TVS on bottom.
21265143988_1022ce9bb7_b.jpg

In with the new..
21264920650_c9d653bbc7_b.jpg

67mm VMP throttle body, it's just too sexy.
21426746116_d489c7fbac_b.jpg

Heading out to SEMA
21414671609_d42aafbc47_b.jpg

21610460041_ee954e1f75_b.jpg

21590242842_1066502a3b_b.jpg

20980467573_4741f9bec9_b.jpg

There she goes for testing this week..wish us luck!
21413550350_5bf010c820_b.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Easy power, You can also sell that stock TVS to recoupe for the Gen 2.

Also, wouldnt the single blade yield more air flow? I had a CJ setup that came with dual TB's and Shaun wouldnt tune it because the single blade was better.

Your GT500 is awesome op, now that you are adding more power, are you swapping out rims/tires?

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Thanks Serpent. All parts are installed per VMP for the carb certification process...Once this is complete, then I can start messing around with other parts and tuning for my optimal power gains...As far as tires, I have NT05Rs for the drag strip / roll race events. I use the MPSS currently on the car for the street and road racing. I think it's time to start working on suspension / handling.

TClark22

Established Member
Questions...

1. What is carb certification...
2. Why does it need carb certification...
3. Never in my life would I think of a place called Advanced Auto Electric & Air Conditioning was into installing performance upgrades...
4. The VMP TVS blowers have been out for years, how are they just now doing some testing/certifying?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Carb is for SMOG certification, although I believe Ghoust bought his car new, he wouldn't need to smog it for next 5-6 years. Buying used, then yes, smog needs to be done every 2 years. Its a shitty california dmv thing, that and having only 91 octane (unless your at a race track).

I would think he would take his GT500 to AED, but I;m not sure they specialize in GT500s, they do with Coyotes and Terminators.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Questions...
Answers below

1. What is carb certification...
California Air Resource Board certification is needed for an aftermarket part to be SMOG legal in CA.

2. Why does it need carb certification...
So VMP can state that their blower can be legally driven in on CA streets. The owner of the blower would get a CARB sticker that when smogging the vehicle, would not raise questions during visual inspection.

3. Never in my life would I think of a place called Advanced Auto Electric & Air Conditioning was into installing performance upgrades...
The folks over at this shop have worked on all of my hot rods...dating back to my 03 Cobra. They are a standard garage that work on every type of vehicle, however the owner and mechanic are friends of mine that I trust to do this type of work quickly, cleanly and efficiently.

4. The VMP TVS blowers have been out for years, how are they just now doing some testing/certifying?
This testing isn't for safety or efficiency of the blower...all that research has already been done by VMP. This is simply to earn a CARB sticker to make this "legal" to drive on CA streets!

72SBC

Established Member
I didn't know you were in San Ramon. I'm right next to you.

jfitts23

Established Member
Would someone that gets a used tvs have to do anything special to get the carb sticker if they do get certified?

So if you have this blower and kooks green cats would emission no longer be a issue?

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
None of VMP's parts are CARB legal to my knowledge. Are they doing the ARB certification testing so ALL their blowers will have a CARB sticker? Or are you taking your car to the referee and hoping to get a CARB certification for just your particular car and setup?

Last I heard ARB was being stingy with issuing CARB legal certifications for new parts. I figured VMP would have done this testing when the blower was still in the development stages to make it more appealing to all the Whipple/Kenne Bell owners in CA that already have ARB compliant twin screw superchargers.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
The certification is for the blower itself. Not my specific car. I know that once the certification is complete, I will be receiving a carb sticker from VMP to help me pass smog in the future.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Hmmmm. Well I hope the end result is a carb exemption that can be used for all consumers.

Would definitely widen their customer base

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
That's the general idea...for VMP to be able to sell this to customers in CA that want to legally drive their cars on the streets.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How long does it take after testing to hear if VMP get a certification? I'm hoping all goes well for them.

Awesome GT-500, by the way. :)

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
This deserves a huge thank you! If Tob sees this I'm sure he'll get a tickle in his undees.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tickle indeed.

I've spent some time recently familiarizing myself with SEMA recently, more specifically, their Tech Transfer program. SEMA has a neat little "Black Book" download for CARB certification and it has me wondering a few things regarding this specific application.

I take it that VMP isn't also trying to get a tune certified along with the blower (or are they?). How much (roughly) is the certification process going to cost when all is said and done? Which test procedure did you choose, a constant volume sampling (CVS-75) or the "Cold 505?" On that note, which compliance procedure was chosen, the "certification to emission standards" or the "certification to typical baseline levels?" What size pulley is being submitted for certification?

Good luck!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
That's the general idea...for VMP to be able to sell this to customers in CA that want to legally drive their cars on the streets.

this is the best news i have heard in a while. i have been wanting a vmp tvs for my terminator for a while, but after a recent smog ticket that forced me to go to a state bar referee, i cant even think about buying anything for my street driven car that doesn't have a carb executive order. keeping my fingers crossed. can't wait to hear the results! :beer:

Last edited:

Adower

Established Member
Hell yeah. The CARB# would make these things sell like hotcakes in CA.

oldmodman

Established Member
I hope they get the EO#

Whipple went through the same process with their 2.3L Blowers and it is extremely specific. The EO# lists specific engine types and years, as well as a specific pulley size. When I go to get my 03 Cobra SMOG checked I always put the original pulley back on. An one time a SMOG tech actually got out a ruler and measured it. Than only happened once. And I always reload my factory tune. So far having all the EO paperwork, stock tune, and authorized pulley has gotten me through SMOG checks. But they are getting tougher each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread