VMP Gen 3

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
My 2.3 was ported & maxed out. It went 158mph in -200 DA... I’ve gone 159.6 at same 18-18.5 psi boost in 1500 DA with the 2.65... not ported & not maxed out.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
My 2.3 was ported & maxed out. It went 158mph in -200 DA... I’ve gone 159.6 at same 18-18.5 psi boost in 1500 DA with the 2.65... not ported & not maxed out.

Ah so you went faster with same boost not the same pulley combo. What pulley combo did you run on the 2.3 and now with the 2.65?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hoping for same great weather at Mod Nats to see even more improvements.
Also hoping to have a VMP 173 TB to test on both our cars. Drive by wire TB can be difficult and I hope the 173 is figured out as it would make the VMP Gen3 TVS2650 a much easier choice.
Scott has very impressively built a true 8-sec street car.
It's great to have choices and we both see the potential in the TVS blowers, and I think we both plan to maximize the 2650 rotor pack.
The Gen 3 case can be improved and I know with a sleeved block and some continued improvements we will see low 8s.
-J

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I have the KB 168, JLT 148, ID1300’s, & comp stg 3 cams on my Coyote & the drivability is perfect.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
KB 168 vs VMP 160 looking thru my adapter
3D26F61B-AC08-4B52-8733-3D7C8B580431.jpeg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
On a stock motor you're not really going to need either of the big TBs. For a stock motor even the previous Gen 2R blower can make more power than stock internals can handle.
For a stock motor a VMP twin 67 or the 160 is plenty.
Thankfully we will have a VMP 173 for testing this week. I'll update on the progress when we know more.
For now, if you have a proven big TB, this adapter is the solution.
-J

Shelbyfied

Established Member
On a stock motor you're not really going to need either of the big TBs. For a stock motor even the previous Gen 2R blower can make more power than stock internals can handle.
For a stock motor a VMP twin 67 or the 160 is plenty.
Thankfully we will have a VMP 173 for testing this week. I'll update on the progress when we know more.
For now, if you have a proven big TB, this adapter is the solution.
-J
Thanks for the feedback. So, the Idea is to gain the most HP without exceeding 18 PSI as I am on 93 octane. Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding, I'd imagine there would be a greater gain in HP and possible torque on the Gen 3 vs the Gen 2r @ 17-18 PSI.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd have to look at some of the comparisons done by VMP on a stock pump gas combo.
I'd assume larger/heavier blower running less blower rpm would lose some low end torque and response compared to a higher spinning smaller/lighter blower; but you're correct, both blowers both at the same boost means the larger blower is moving more air at the same boost and therefor more power.
Do you ever plan to build the combo or push it farther in the future? If so, then you can grow into the Gen 3, otherwise the $1000+ differential buys good supporting mods on the 2R.
If you're only going to run 16-17psi on the Gen 3, no need to sacrifice driveability with the biggest TBs, the 160 and smaller TBs will do.
Good luck.
-J

blckRadda

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. So, the Idea is to gain the most HP without exceeding 18 PSI as I am on 93 octane. Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding, I'd imagine there would be a greater gain in HP and possible torque on the Gen 3 vs the Gen 2r @ 17-18 PSI.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The Gen3 in all sense in purpose is the race version of the Gen2R, it being the larger blower basically takes over where the Gen2R starts to fall off which is always in the upper rpm range when being spun to the moon. It will while hold the targeted boost (that one pulleyed for) all the way to redline, whereas the Gen2R would have started to see boost drop.

On pump 93 with the same twin 67mm throttle body, the Gen2R and the Gen3 were even blowers The biggest advantage was the larger 2.65 blower was being spun slower with a larger upper pulley (Gen3's 3" pulley to the Gen2R's 2.4" (which meant less heat, I doubt it would have been much though because if you are spinning the 2.3 to only 18psi you are in the perfect spot for it) and still made the same amount of hp and (most importantly) torque. When VMP switched throttle bodies and added the 160mm to the 2.65L that is when it started to make more power but it was also now over 18 psi with that larger throttle body. I feel if they would have also tested the Gen2R with that 160mm throttle body numbers would have relatively remained the same but both would have been over 18 psi.

I look at it this way, if you aren’t chasing the lowest E.T, planning on spinning the Gen2R to the moon (over 23psi) and running either race gas or E85, the Gen2R is the perfect blower for most and even then it can still compete (it is just going to make a lot more heat than the larger blowers while doing it) and it does cost $1000 less.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
The first 10 are gone, I should have 10 more this weekend. For now they are $90 + $10 shipping & come with a gasket for the KB side & adapter bolts.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you going to make these for the standard GT500 bolt pattern for the Whipple monos?

Users who are viewing this thread