VMP TVS - Power lost on launch

PhillyStyle

Established Member
I have the VMP supercharger setup on my 2012 MT car. It makes great power on the street on rides awesome. HOWEVER, when I mount my drag radials and hit the drag strip is when the problem starts. The car will immediately cut power for a couple seconds on any good launch...feels like 50% throttle for 2-3 seconds. I've made 30+ passes at the track and It either spins off the line or hooks then cuts the power. I read that this is likely Torque Management kicking in, which can only be corrected in the tune. From my understanding it's not just something that can be turn off, but more of a number of parameters that have to be adjusted. I contacted Justin at VMP and he sent me a revised tune but it still does the same thing. It was so frustrating yesterday during a track event that I dropped out and went home.

Has anyone else experienced this Torque Management issue while running a VMP or any other tune and were you able to get it corrected? I'd hate to go and get it dyno tune and still have this issue. I also heard it referred to as "Clutch Protection" ?? Just looking for any insight on the this.

Last edited:

zachcrosen

Established Member
No problems with mine except traction and poor track prep!! I've had multiple revisions from Justin and have never seen this issue.

PhillyStyle

Established Member
Since you have traction issues I assume you haven't ever had your tires hook. If so that may be why it hasn't happened to you yet. It only happens to me at the track with the dr's on and good traction on launch. Almost like it senses the stress on the drivetrain and cuts power. Waiting to hear from Justin about it. He was in SEMA last week.

Unrealford

Established Member
I have the VMP supercharger setup on my 2012 MT car. It makes great power on the street on rides awesome. HOWEVER, when I mount my drag radials and hit the drag strip is when the problem starts. The car will immediately cut power for a couple seconds on any good launch...feels like 50% throttle for 2-3 seconds. I've made 30+ passes at the track and It either spins off the line or hooks then cuts the power. I read that this is likely Torque Management kicking in, which can only be corrected in the tune. From my understanding it's not just something that can be turn off, but more of a number of parameters that have to be adjusted. I contacted Justin at VMP and he sent me a revised tune but it still does the same thing. It was so frustrating yesterday during a track event that I dropped out and went home.

Has anyone else experienced this Torque Management issue while running a VMP or any other tune and were you able to get it corrected? I'd hate to go and get it dyno tune and still have this issue. I also heard it referred to as "Clutch Protection" ?? Just looking for any insight on the this.

Yes, I've had exactly the same issue with my Steed Cai/Justin tune. And tried Steeda tune revised 2x. I never got out of the issue. Ended up selling the Cai/*and bailing on the aftermarket tunes. Went back to stock tune and instantly corrected ( Only on the Trackey), it did it on the stock Grey key, but not Trackey.
I'm NA, but had same issue. It felt like I tried to run with not enough gas on tank.
I could only use Drag Radials with TK, But on street tires all tunes worked fine.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Send me a PM with your name. On these new cars there are a fair amount of systems that can limit things between traction control, stability control, and in some cases clutch protection.

On a new GT500 you can grenade the stock clutch pretty quick once its turned off. Are you running an upgrade on your GT?

Our customer mike hasn't had any issues running his mild VMP TVS combo, but I'll take a look at your tune and see where everything is.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-mgw-msd-pypes-shaftmasters.html#post13999673

Users who are viewing this thread