Vmp tvs supercharger install

davidhuff

Established Member
How difficult is the install of the VMP TVS Supercharger Kit on a 2014 5.0 Auto Mustang?
Thanks for any help.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
If you're not in a hurry, and you have a basic knowledge of mechanics, you can do it. If you have any questions, don't just guess, google it or ask this community!!!

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I am a level 8 out of 10!
I understand you have to cut and grind on the front timing chain cover.

I was worried about that at first, but it's really simple. My "least fun" part of the install was the wiring part. I hate prying on those clips with picks, hoping to god I don't break the clips!!! I'm sure people with more experience with how exactly the clips release will chime in and say "that's easy", but unless you know exactly how to do it, it's not easy. I'm glad I did the install because now if anything goes wrong I can fix it myself, and it really helps understanding exactly how everything works so you can diagnose issues!!!

davidhuff

Established Member
I was worried about that at first, but it's really simple. My "least fun" part of the install was the wiring part. I hate prying on those clips with picks, hoping to god I don't break the clips!!! I'm sure people with more experience with how exactly the clips release will chime in and say "that's easy", but unless you know exactly how to do it, it's not easy. I'm glad I did the install because now if anything goes wrong I can fix it myself, and it really helps understanding exactly how everything works so you can diagnose issues!!!
What did you use to grind the front timing cover and how long did it take?I think VMP does make a plug and play wiring kit.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Yes, VMP does make the pnp harness, and I wish I would've spent the money on it.

I used a Dremel with the reinforced cut-off wheels. An angle grinder is DEF worth spending the money on. If you try to go to fast with the dremel, you WILL burn it up.... trust me LOL. It really was easy, you just have to take your time and not go too far. Seriously, don't worry about the grinding part. The cleanup will take twice as long as the grinding. I covered as much as I could, but those little shavings go EVERYWHERE!

Oh, forgot to answer. With the dremel it took a couple hours going nice and slow and safe. The hard part was the wheel would wear down and you couldn't cut very deep anymore so I kept changing cutoff wheels constantly.

Last edited:

i want boost

Established Member
Yes, VMP does make the pnp harness, and I wish I would've spent the money on it.

I used a Dremel with the reinforced cut-off wheels. An angle grinder is DEF worth spending the money on. If you try to go to fast with the dremel, you WILL burn it up.... trust me LOL. It really was easy, you just have to take your time and not go too far. Seriously, don't worry about the grinding part. The cleanup will take twice as long as the grinding. I covered as much as I could, but those little shavings go EVERYWHERE!

Oh, forgot to answer. With the dremel it took a couple hours going nice and slow and safe. The hard part was the wheel would wear down and you couldn't cut very deep anymore so I kept changing cutoff wheels constantly.

Agreed, people act like the grinding is so bad, super easy,

So they have a plug and play for the 70 pin( if I remember right) connector? That was definitely the worst part.

To the OP if they make this buy it, or nerve pills, and specific tools for this part

cb900f

Established Member

davidhuff

Established Member

MikeWads

Established Member
I recently did a VMP install on my 2014. The grinding for me was the worst part, but it turned out perfect. I used a 4 1/2" cut off wheel on a Makita electric grinder to do most of it. You still need to insert a pin into one of the PCM connectors and splice into another for the ACT sensor.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I recently did a VMP install on my 2014. The grinding for me was the worst part, but it turned out perfect. I used a 4 1/2" cut off wheel on a Makita electric grinder to do most of it. You still need to insert a pin into one of the PCM connectors and splice into another for the ACT sensor.

What about the grinding did you think was hard?

MikeWads

Established Member
Not hard. Just a little tedious. I had to go back and remove more material a couple of times after test fitting the brackets. I liked using the cut off wheel better than a grinding wheel. The grinding wheel fills up with aluminum quickly.

zachcrosen

Established Member
With the grinding, I actually ground into one of the ribs on the water pump!! Luckily I didn't have any issues.... Yet! I think I tried for a while to get the pin out for the big connector and couldn't get it so I just used one of the wire taps and I'm going on a year with it! Also, VMP does make the plug n play harnesses. For $120 or whatever they cost, it's well worth not having to depin.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
Hello I am new to this forum. I have a 2014 Mustang GT AT and I am also thinking of installing the VMP STG2 supercharger on my car. I was looking for feedback from someone that has it installed on a automatic transmission as well. I drove the ROUSH STAGE 3 automatic at a dealer here in AZ and I was not impressed at all. It was not much faster then my GT. Especially for the 25K more price tag. The one I drove also was a Phase 1 with a ROUSH tune. Does the VMP version snap you back pretty good? I have 3.55 gears and just did basic upgrades , GT500 axle backs, LCA's and next up is new rims and tires.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread