Vortech Mach 1...BPV,BOV,MAF questions

bluebullitt256

Established Member
OK im putting together everything to install a vortech setup on my Mach 1 and i have a few questions:

Im going to run a Blow through setup with Slot style MAF mounted in the intake tube right before the Throttle body. BPV or BOV will be mounted post blower/pre-intercooler right before it enters the IC. What type of bypass or blow off valve do i need for this application?

From my understanding the valve should be closed during idle(vacuum) and light driving conditions, and only opens when the throttle is closed at high RPM's when the SC is producing boost. Is this right?

My only experience is with Turbo applications where a blow off valve is used to bleed off extra boost when the throttle is shut after getting on it to build boost. Since the SC is RPM based im a little confused on what type setup i need to get rid of the extra boost.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the sc kits typically run a bypass valve, the bypass valve will be open most of the time so you arent always building boost, when you get on it the valve will close and let you build boost then open again when you let up off the gas.

the valve depends on how much boost you're making as to which valve you can run (the smaller ones wont relieve pressure quickly enough when you get off the throttle and it can damage the blower). Theres the procharged big red race valve (youll see it as BRRV most of the time), I believe Vortech makes an equivalent

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Im going to run a Blow through setup with Slot style MAF mounted in the intake tube right before the Throttle body. BPV or BOV will be mounted post blower/pre-intercooler right before it enters the IC. What type of bypass or blow off valve do i need for this application?

I run a Vortech Maxflow Bypass (Mini race) valve with my Novi 200 setup...works awesome and sounds sick!

2001 Bullitt Paxton Novi 2000 Dyno - Wicked Motorsports - YouTube

Also, if you are running a blow through setup, it should be after the supercharger outlet. I have mine mounted on the downpipe going from the blower to the inlet side of the intercooler.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Also, if you are running a blow through setup, it should be after the supercharger outlet. I have mine mounted on the downpipe going from the blower to the inlet side of the intercooler.

pretty sure this is where most kits locate it, about 6 inches or so after the blower as mentioned above

JP_Stang

Established Member
You can run either one, BPV or BOV. The BPV will recirculate the air back into the intake before the blower so keep that in mind when you are deciding placement. A BOV will vent the excess air out to the atmosphere and can only be used with a blow thru setup. Since you are blow thru you can choose which one you want to use. If you decide to run a BOV, you can run Procharger's Big Red Valve, a Vortech Mondo Valve or even a 50mm Tial unit. If you go with a Tial unit, which is what I did because it is alot like the Procharger unit and much cheaper, you will need to get a 3psi. spring for it. This will let the BOV stay open until WOT pulls.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
You can run either one, BPV or BOV. The BPV will recirculate the air back into the intake before the blower so keep that in mind when you are deciding placement. A BOV will vent the excess air out to the atmosphere and can only be used with a blow thru setup. Since you are blow thru you can choose which one you want to use. If you decide to run a BOV, you can run Procharger's Big Red Valve, a Vortech Mondo Valve or even a 50mm Tial unit. If you go with a Tial unit, which is what I did because it is alot like the Procharger unit and much cheaper, you will need to get a 3psi. spring for it. This will let the BOV stay open until WOT pulls.

This is the info i was looking for. I plan to have the BOV mounted after the SC right before it enters the intercooler.

Wouldnt you ideally want a valve that closes as soon as it sees boost instead of vacuum? say at 1 psi or something? Is there a reason i cant go with other style BOV's like an HKS ssqv or something along those lines? Not large enough diameter?

JP_Stang

Established Member
You want to make sure it is large enough to release the air the SC is making. Unlike turbo's, centri blowers are blowing air the whole time they are spinning, obviously. I would try to choose one of the BOV's I mentioned if it were my car. You don't really want to run a weaker spring than a 3psi spring. Remember that the blower will create more boost the faster it turns and you won't always be wide open throttle at higher RPM's. I have noticed that half throttle acceleration is not the best thing to do with our type of setups. The reason is because the blower will start building boost and half throttle is enough to shut the BOV. Since the motor is not pulling in all that air that's being pushed, I can hear the blower's impeller start to shutter a little, which is what you don't want. So basically, I like to keep it real easy or push it hard. I personally would go with the Procharger unit or the Tial unit w/ the 3psi spring. But there alot of guys running the Vortech Mondo's making alot more power than I am with no issues at all so basically it's personal preference.

Also, the spring used in the BOV is usually determined by the amount of vacuum the car naturally has, not boost. I read that somewhere but I can't remember where. It was quite awhile ago. I think the way it works is the vacuum is what actually pulls the BOV open and when you get to a certain amount of throttle, the car goes to zero vacuum which shuts the BOV.

Last edited:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
The valve does close as soon as it sees boost op.... The valve is wide open at idle and light driving, as you step on the gas vacuum decreases and the valve closes at a very close pace. Put your bov as close to the blower as you can, within 8", put your maf in the straightest section you can AFTER the intercooler

As far as bov, use a tial 50mm, cheap and work great. Get it with a 3 psi spring, thats the lightest spring tial offers

Last edited:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
If you wanna get technical the BOV is closed before it ever sees pressure (boost), that's the springs job... But let's keep it simple

NoviGT2000

Established Member
Im running the procharger big red by pass valve vented to the atmosphere. Its roughly about 6 inches as said above from the headunit. Mine sounds like a jet rolling down the street till I go into boost. Sounds sick.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
You want to make sure it is large enough to release the air the SC is making. Unlike turbo's, centri blowers are blowing air the whole time they are spinning, obviously. I would try to choose one of the BOV's I mentioned if it were my car. You don't really want to run a weaker spring than a 3psi spring. Remember that the blower will create more boost the faster it turns and you won't always be wide open throttle at higher RPM's. I have noticed that half throttle acceleration is not the best thing to do with our type of setups. The reason is because the blower will start building boost and half throttle is enough to shut the BOV. Since the motor is not pulling in all that air that's being pushed, I can hear the blower's impeller start to shutter a little, which is what you don't want. So basically, I like to keep it real easy or push it hard. I personally would go with the Procharger unit or the Tial unit w/ the 3psi spring. But there alot of guys running the Vortech Mondo's making alot more power than I am with no issues at all so basically it's personal preference.

Also, the spring used in the BOV is usually determined by the amount of vacuum the car naturally has, not boost. I read that somewhere but I can't remember where. It was quite awhile ago. I think the way it works is the vacuum is what actually pulls the BOV open and when you get to a certain amount of throttle, the car goes to zero vacuum which shuts the BOV.

Thanks for the great info. I plan to run low boost (8-10psi) with the tial 50mm with 3 pound spring and see how that goes. What is best blow through mass air i should use on a budget? Piping will be 3" diameter if that makes a difference in what MAF sensor to use.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Thanks for the great info. I plan to run low boost (8-10psi) with the tial 50mm with 3 pound spring and see how that goes. What is best blow through mass air i should use on a budget? Piping will be 3" diameter if that makes a difference in what MAF sensor to use.

Convert to slot style and don't look back. Sct ba5000

JP_Stang

Established Member
Convert to slot style and don't look back. Sct ba5000

This. The SCT BA5000 is most likely the best one to get, but alot of people get the VMP HPX Slot style MAF and they sell it with the tube, flange mounted and a pigtail harness so that it is plug-n-play. The VMP is cheaper than the SCT MAF I believe.

I would recommend going slot style so you don't ever have to worry about it again, but I run a Pro-M blow thru MAF in a 3" tube and I'm not even close to pegging it yet at my HP levels.

Stanger00

Established Member
Be fore warned the Tial is loud. If you can find the quiet one get that thing. I hardly drive my mustang but I get annoyed by the constant loud noise of discharging air being bounced off other cars.

Users who are viewing this thread