Walmart Forces Veteran To Sit In The Rain

RES0574

Established Member
Did not see this posted in any of the forums:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/walmart-fire-making-veteran-sit-outside-rain-170750476.html

I clicked on this story, saw the first photo, and it made my eyes well up before I could read the story. The disrespect shown to this veteran was over whelming. My grandfathers and father served proudly in the USMC, and my brother still serves in the USMC, so maybe that is why it had the impact.

This Vietnam Vet, whom I can not even begin to imagine the return home treatment he experienced back in the 60's/70's, still puts on his uniform to raise money for other veterans and was treated in this fashion. Not only wears the uniform, but wears it as if he is going to be inspected. He remains at his post in the rain, as if he were the Old Guard at the Tomb, and continues to perform his volunteered duty.

How can anyone either walking by, or employed by that store-rules be damned, have allowed this veteran to be treated like this? Someone actually had to request a canopy to be provided? He is not selling cookies or candy bars to go to the next jamboree or buy new uniforms, he is trying to help other veterans.

Maybe I am too sensitive, but the way veterans are treated in this country makes me sick. Alternative lifestyles, snowflakes, etc are treated better then those who put on a uniform, ship out to a foreign land, and are asked to perform duties knowing they are at risk of being KIA'd. Then when the veterans return, they have crappy health care to treat in-service experienced wounds (mental, emotional, or physical), and minimal support structure. How the hell are veterans homeless in this country, yet some folks want to go out of their way to help those who swam across a border or jumped a fence? To top it off, I have to see a veteran still volunteering service by trying to help his fellow veterans be subjected to this disrespect.

Rant over, but this type of crap in this country just pisses me off to tears. I shouldnt have to see a veteran being treated like this.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Lol @ blaming the entire Walmart inc instead of the dumbass store manager. This seems simular to the Starbucks incident a couple of weeks ago where people were ready to boycott starbuck over that store dumbass manager overreacting to two guys not ordering within minutes of walking in the store. It sucks he had to sit in the rain that day, him coming back the next day tells me he must not have been to upset about it. The manager smartened up too in that 24 hours by giving him cover teh following day.

tistan

Established Member
Why didn't he bring a $100 portable tent for cover from sun and rain? Hell, he could have went into Walmart and bought one.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Manager pulled a douche move, and think he got a not so friendly reminder to correct his course of action. I admit I skimmed the article (this site crashing was distracting) but officer Griffin could have brought a canopy or umbrella setup, as Walmart didn't have any obligation to provide one.

Used to be in and out of Walmarts all the time as a salesman. Some store managers were cool, others were giant assholes to everyone. The girl scouts slinging cookies, and the vets who set up shop at my local one (looked like they were selling hats, posters,etc) had tables set up in the open off to the side. Cold and sun, none were under awnings or anything unless they brought one, which the girl scouts did once that I can recall.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
This is unfortunate, but I’m surprised they let him out front in the first place.

Back in 2003 during my recruiting stint in the Navy, the local Walmart kindly told a shipmate and I to pack sand when we asked to set up a table out front one day to create a local presence.

I guess we were more intimidating standing out there respectfully in uniform than the Boy and Girl Scouts and school sports teams that were usually allowed to chase you down and stink eye you into buying their fat pills.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
That's why I go to the Target next door to this Walmart. Not to mention the entry/exit of this WM sucks.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

7upstang

Established Member
Really hate to say this, but the manager could have been following procedure. I could not agree more that is was WRONG. However, I have seen managers get fired for less. Heard of a Publix manager get fired for confronting a shoplifter outside of the front doors of the store and got fired. Just when you believe you are doing the right thing, doesn't mean it follows procedure. Wish Walmart will change policy.

I do not agree with what the manager did on a moral level. However, there are 3 sides to every story. And the manager could have just been a bad person.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I read this in the news this morning. Pretty crappy of the store manager to put "store policy" over human kindness and just plain doing the right thing. My brother is a Home Depot store manager in Texas and while they have policies, he has the freedom to make "right" decisions, especially when it comes to helping out those in need. Stories like these is why I maybe visit WalMart once a year. I hate the place!

Black2010

Established Member
That's why I go to the Target next door to this Walmart. Not to mention the entry/exit of this WM sucks.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

Yeah, because the Target Franchise is a bunch of angles and hasn't done anything remotely controversial.....

Not giving a pass to Wal-Mart but it's hard to find any major franchise these days that doesn't have at least one story like this associated to it.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, because the Target Franchise is a bunch of angles and hasn't done anything remotely controversial.....

Not giving a pass to Wal-Mart but it's hard to find any major franchise these days that doesn't have at least one story like this associated to it.

Is Target obtuse, right, acute or straight?

Target has a much better clientele.

Walmart allows people to solicit yet now it needs to provide shelter as well?

Zemedici

Established Member
Dumb Question:

When did it become Wal-Mart's obligation to protect people outside of its doors, from rain?

Odd concept, I know....

but come on. Homie didnt check the weather before setting up his table outside?

Machdup1

Established Member
Sucks.

The store manager was probably following protocol.
This. The next time they ask a vagrant to leave, his lawyer would show pictures of them letting one group of folks come in out of the rain and then collect millions.

I give him credit, the man did not quit his post. That earns him the nod of professional respect.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Lol @ blaming the entire Walmart inc instead of the dumbass store manager. This seems simular to the Starbucks incident a couple of weeks ago where people were ready to boycott starbuck over that store dumbass manager overreacting to two guys not ordering within minutes of walking in the store. It sucks he had to sit in the rain that day, him coming back the next day tells me he must not have been to upset about it. The manager smartened up too in that 24 hours by giving him cover teh following day.

Let's face it, ain't no one boycotting Starbucks. I've never had it, and i've only been in one a handful of times. But the addiction is strong. Anyone who said they were going to boycott is a liar. They don't have the will power. LOL

Coiled03

Established Member
After reading this, it seems Walmart didn't FORCE him to do anything. They didn't prevent him from bringing his own shelter, as proven the following day. They simply didn't provide shelter for him. Big difference.

Having said that, I agree with everything OP said in regards to the way veterans are treated in this country. We owe them a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid.

coposrv

Established Member
Why does Walmart owe him shelter? Bring an umbrella next time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Walmart makes a lot of money. Walmart doesn't pay low skilled employees as if they have skills. As such, this is just a hit piece to show the evilness of said company.

Does WM owe the man shelter? No. It doesn't owe anyone shelter.

Users who are viewing this thread