Want a Smooth High Performance Clutch

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Am looking for advise from folks that have actual experience with some of the clutches mentioned in this forum. I will be replacing the stock clutch, TOB, etc. and upgrading to a 26 spline input shaft in the near future. I want a lighter than stock feel but something that will hold about 600 HP at the wheels. I don't take the car to the track but do occasionally indulge in a spirited street sparring session with an F body, Vette or BIMMER.:banana:This is also my daily driver so I would like a bit of longevity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:beer:

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
I have had CF DF and it did not last 4k miles, I now have a Spec Twin disk. I like it and it grabs hard, but you may not like the on/off starting out. That is said to ease up after a few thousand miles. It has taken some getting use to but I like it for my DD. The peddle is lighter than stock.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
I have had CF DF and it did not last 4k miles, I now have a Spec Twin disk. I like it and it grabs hard, but you may not like the on/off starting out. That is said to ease up after a few thousand miles. It has taken some getting use to but I like it for my DD. The peddle is lighter than stock.

4k miles?? obviously something went wrong weather it be operator error or installation.. or something along those lines!!

ssketer4

Established Member
...if you are serious, a Ram Street Dual Disc is the only way! It will do everything you are looking to accomplish. I have a brand new setup for sale. PM me if interested. :D

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
RAM Street Dual Disc...be done with it.

I'm running a Ram 98951-T (single disc dual friction) and its real nice once it broke in but if the RAM DD had been available I would have done it in a hearbeat.

The stock clutch is a great. There are simply too many aftermarket clutches out there that have one gripe from the next. There is no aftermarket clutch that has been unanimously liked by its users. The stock unit gets a lot of criticism but it really isn't that bad. I'm approaching 40k on mine its still holding up like a champ.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
The stock clutch is a great. There are simply too many aftermarket clutches out there that have one gripe from the next. There is no aftermarket clutch that has been unanimously liked by its users. The stock unit gets a lot of criticism but it really isn't that bad. I'm approaching 40k on mine its still holding up like a champ.

thats just becuase everyone crys about a clutch with the littlest bit of chatter... boo freakin who

But I would agree with you that the stock unit can last a while up until a ported blower and lower pulley set up...

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
i have a CF DF and love it - super light pedal and smooth consistant engagement.
wheather or not its gonna hold up with my whipple at 17-19lbs - i dont know yet

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I certainly understand pro's and cons of clutches, but my DFX/Resurf FW chatters to the point it violently shakes the car in reverse and in first in stop and go traffic. I have heard great things about the RAM clutches. Obviously if you go with the stocker you know what you're in for, so that could be considered a plus. I think the 26 spline upgrade is cheap peace of mind but would also upgrade to a new TOB retainer sleeve as well and upgrade the FW instead of resurfacing the stocker.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Both the Ram Powergrip HD and the Ram Street Dual kits are very good choices. The Dual I think for a 600rwhp car though isn't necessary but still isn't a bad choice. I think you'll be very happy with the HD. Give us a call and we'll sort you out with all the goodies. Thanks, Jared

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Both the Ram Powergrip HD and the Ram Street Dual kits are very good choices. The Dual I think for a 600rwhp car though isn't necessary but still isn't a bad choice. I think you'll be very happy with the HD. Give us a call and we'll sort you out with all the goodies. Thanks, Jared

how does the Ram 900 compare to the ones you are talking about?

2004silvercobra

Established Member
the ram hd sucked for me and went out super fast, less than a year or 4000miles.. did the spec stage 3 + and no problems and have over 50 track runs with spray and only adjusted the clutch once or twice... its a soft pedal and no chatter.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
D&D performace has a 700/700 single disc clutch kit (kevlar on one side and organic on the other). I'm running that now it shifts great (no chatter) and the clutch feels like a Honda...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread