Want a Smooth High Performance Clutch

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Centerforce DF on mine, has held up well a good bit of beating. Dozens of track passes, leaving on slicks, spraying the car, etc....

Patriot Guy

Established Member
I am really confused now. LOL. I was looking at the RAM clutches and like their Ram 99-04 Cobra/Mach-1 Street Dual Disc Clutch Kit (26 Spline) but want to use my flywheel. Wonder if you can get this without getting the flywheel?

LS1-Larry

Established Member
I just did the Spec3+ wt a Light weight Fidenza alluminum fly wheel and 26 spline upgrade........600 miles and so far so good!

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
Centerforce DF on mine, has held up well a good bit of beating. Dozens of track passes, leaving on slicks, spraying the car, etc....

this is what i like hearing, nicely abused DF with life to it!!!!.. just got my tranny install done with my CF DF, tranny rebuild and 26spline. running dexron III for the 1st few hundred miles, then the AMSOIL synthetic goes in :beer:

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
thats just becuase everyone crys about a clutch with the littlest bit of chatter... boo freakin who

But I would agree with you that the stock unit can last a while up until a ported blower and lower pulley set up...

That's because chatter sucks. If you want an uncompromising race car feel, go with a grabby, chattery, quick-engaging clutch. Those of us who want to enjoy driving our cars without them abusing or embarassing us will stick with something more streetable.

BTW, I have CF DF and love it. No chatter, light pedal effort, absolutely no chatter, and progressive engagement. And no chatter. It's supposed to be good up to 600hp, which is more than my Cobra is likely to ever make.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I just did the Spec3+ wt a Light weight Fidenza alluminum fly wheel and 26 spline upgrade........600 miles and so far so good!

I had one of those.. engagement went from nothing to fully engaged in what felt like an inch or two of clutch travel. And it was chattery. Who gives a damn if it will hold 900lb-ft if your car only makes 500lb-ft.

ssketer4

Established Member
I am really confused now. LOL. I was looking at the RAM clutches and like their Ram 99-04 Cobra/Mach-1 Street Dual Disc Clutch Kit (26 Spline) but want to use my flywheel. Wonder if you can get this without getting the flywheel?

.....WHY??? :shrug: This comes as a complete balanced and matched set!

LS1-Larry

Established Member
I had one of those.. engagement went from nothing to fully engaged in what felt like an inch or two of clutch travel. And it was chattery. Who gives a damn if it will hold 900lb-ft if your car only makes 500lb-ft.

So does that mean you didnt care for this set up:shrug::??:

Patriot Guy

Established Member
$1300 for a clutch is a little much in my humble opinion when this is my daily driver and I might hit the dragstrip once or twice a year.

90lxfox5.0

Established Member
Ive always run center force and never once had a problem.Built a customers car that made close to 800whp with a dfx and it is still working great with great pedal feel and low effort. I ran a older dual friction in my 515whp fox and never once had a problem and god knows how many nitrous launchs it had on it.Personally im going with the new dfx on my cobra and a steel flywheel.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
So does that mean you didnt care for this set up:shrug::??:

Yeah, the chattery Spec Stage 3+ sucked. It held just fine, but I replaced it because I couldn't stand its drivability issues. Some people like clutches that feel like they belong in a race car--not me.

Last edited:

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Fleshrocket, How long have you had your setup? How aggressive do you drive?

I've had my CF DF in for several thousand miles. I don't remember exactly when I replaced it, but I got the car with 12K on it and it has 18.5K on it now. So at most it has around 5.5K on it.

I'm not shy about romping on the throttle, but I usually shift pretty "gently"--quick, but not power/speed shifting. I haven't done any dragstrip or autocross time to really stress the clutch, but it feels as good now as it did when I had it installed.

Also, my mechanic actually knows how to properly adjust a clutch. I'm not trying to flame anyone, but there are plenty of people who say their clutches engage at the top or bottom of the travel, and that's just plain wrong--that kind of stuff kills clutches or TOBs.

Anyway, I'm confident that the CF DF will last a long time, and I'm definitely happy with it.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
geeze I may need one also. Upgrading to whipple and I dont want a loud chatty clutch..........Whipple boys what is the best??

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
D&D performace has a 700/700 single disc clutch kit (kevlar on one side and organic on the other). I'm running that now it shifts great (no chatter) and the clutch feels like a Honda...

where'd you get the d&d from? i'd like to get some info on this clutch.. engages like a twin disc and it's a single.. interesting.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
RAM HDT with Fidanza alum flywheel. 50% less pedal fell, and no chatter, no break in. my numbers are in sig.....Holds all day long.

I repeat...no chatter......Friction plate in the alumn flywheel is replaceable too.....tuff grip and light alumn ...

Spyder1337 has the same set-up..no chatter...700 rwhp on his.....blownsvt03 same set-up...we love em...bought em all at .........

Lethal Performance.......

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
clutchmaster fx400....extremely streetable you can slip and gun and its very very reliable.....i definitely recommend this to anyone

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Thanks Guys, I am really leaning towards the CF DF as mine is a daily driver and I want the drivability and reliability of stock or better but with a lot less force needed to depress the clutch pedal.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
well i was dead set on the spec 3+ 26spline package, but i think i might go on a limb and try the ram hdt set up..

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
well i was dead set on the spec 3+ 26spline package, but i think i might go on a limb and try the ram hdt set up..
The Spec Stage 3+ is a great clutch no doubt however I'm on the Ram kick lately since I installed mine and it's an awesome clutch. I've got the street dual kit but I've heard from numerous customers that the HD is an amazing clutch as well. Very east to drive and holds a ton of power. I think it's a win win whichever clutch you choose. Let me know if there's anything we can help you with. Thanks, Jared

Users who are viewing this thread