Want a Smooth High Performance Clutch

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
i've been running the ram hd for about a year and a half beating the hell out of it and just recently at 18k miles it's slipping so i'm going for a repeater and getting the same clutch again, it's light as hell no chatter and my mom who is 50 can drive it with ease....i have a ported blower and good size kit and it held perfectly from a stop or any roll.....best clutch i've ever owned, oh yea and im running an $80 steel flywheel from a mach 1 and it couldn't be a better setup.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Whatever clutch I go with I would hope to get at least 50k miles out of it. I drive like an old lady unless someone wants to "play" and would be a real challenge. I am going on 38k miles on my stock clutch and not a hint of slippage. I am getting between 260 and 290 miles on a tank of gas just to let you know how "gently" I drive, LOL!! Anyone getting 40-50k out of their clutch?

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
so can you slip the ram hdt at all?
or is it on or off?

RAM HDT with Fidanza alum flywheel. 50% less pedal fell, and no chatter, no break in. my numbers are in sig.....Holds all day long.

I repeat...no chatter......Friction plate in the alumn flywheel is replaceable too.....tuff grip and light alumn ...

Spyder1337 has the same set-up..no chatter...700 rwhp on his.....blownsvt03 same set-up...we love em...bought em all at .........

Lethal Performance.......

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
so can you slip the ram hdt at all?
or is it on or off?

I'm running the Ram 98951-HD-T (T = Tremec = 26 Spline)...

You can only slip it *Lightly*; but the way it locks; you really don't need to slip it with a billet steel flywheel (I'm running the Ram billet steel fw as well).

Made the car really easy to drive and easily holds the power. Keep in mind I'm never on slicks though; which is why I was heading towards the street twin disc as it should hold onto everything with no problem and no chatter.

The HDT has *minor* chatter until its broken in (I don't care what they say...give it 500 miles).

Less pedal effort; 1/2 the marcel; great holding; great feel once broken in.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
i plan on running slicks and drs..
are you worried about the hdt not holding up with slicks on the strip?
so ram recommends a steel flywheel for the hdt - like the fidanza with interchangable inserts?

I'm running the Ram 98951-HD-T (T = Tremec = 26 Spline)...

You can only slip it *Lightly*; but the way it locks; you really don't need to slip it with a billet steel flywheel (I'm running the Ram billet steel fw as well).

Made the car really easy to drive and easily holds the power. Keep in mind I'm never on slicks though; which is why I was heading towards the street twin disc as it should hold onto everything with no problem and no chatter.

The HDT has *minor* chatter until its broken in (I don't care what they say...give it 500 miles).

Less pedal effort; 1/2 the marcel; great holding; great feel once broken in.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about it so long as you're not dragging ALL the time or every weekend.

550-580RWHP is about the limit for the HDT. Go the next one up that is the 900series Powergrip HD...has the sintered pucks on both sides. Its still very streetable and will take all the drag abuse you can throw at it.

Screaming Cobra is running one; as are a lot of other drag/whipple guys that have had great success with it.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I wouldn't worry about it so long as you're not dragging ALL the time or every weekend.

550-580RWHP is about the limit for the HDT. Go the next one up that is the 900series Powergrip HD...has the sintered pucks on both sides. Its still very streetable and will take all the drag abuse you can throw at it.

Screaming Cobra is running one; as are a lot of other drag/whipple guys that have had great success with it.

Just to clear up something that you said as it could be confusing to others. The Ram Powergrip is the standard 300 series. That's good for a stock replacement or lightly modified car. The Powergrip HD is the 900 series which is more for a heavily modified car making anywhere up to the 630rwhp range. The HD is perfect for a Whipple/KB car or ported eaton with spray.

The HDT is just an HD clutch but the 26 spline version. The T designates 26 spline.

Hope that helps. Jared

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
im not really sure what exact clutch mine has in it (was already installed when I purchased), but it is definitely a Centerforce Pressure plate.. BUT, it is VERY stiff.. not too bad for me (im a bigger guy) but for most my friends, its too hard.

I thought it was a CF DF until I read this thread where everyone is saying how light theirs is.. But I am looking to switch to a more "streetable" clutch as well..

btw.. anyone know how much of a PITA it will be to do a clutch swap on an 03 with kooks longtubes?!?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Just to clear up something that you said as it could be confusing to others. The Ram Powergrip is the standard 300 series. That's good for a stock replacement or lightly modified car. The Powergrip HD is the 900 series which is more for a heavily modified car making anywhere up to the 630rwhp range. The HD is perfect for a Whipple/KB car or ported eaton with spray.

The HDT is just an HD clutch but the 26 spline version. The T designates 26 spline.

Hope that helps. Jared

Jared; we're still not together on the proper product naming...

You're absolutely right for the T designation...

The Powergrip is a 300/900 dual friction. (98951-T)

The Powergrip HD is the 900/900...as you recommended properly for the twin-screw fellas. (98951-HDT)

The HDX Performance is a 300/300 "upgrade" replacement.

http://www.ramclutches.com/Specialty products/ford_performance.htm
http://www.ramclutches.com/Applications/ford_1.htm

I was incorrect in my last post as I was referencing to the 98951-T/ 300/900 Powergrip being for limited drag/slick use and having the 580hp limitation and was suggesting to step up to the Powergrip HD 900/900 for prolonged strip use or higher HP applications.

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Jared; we're still not together on the proper product naming...

You're absolutely right for the T designation...

The Powergrip is a 300/900 dual friction. (98951-T)

The Powergrip HD is the 900/900...as you recommended properly for the twin-screw fellas. (98951-HDT)

The HDX Performance is a 300/300 "upgrade" replacement.

http://www.ramclutches.com/Specialty products/ford_performance.htm
http://www.ramclutches.com/Applications/ford_1.htm

I was incorrect in my last post as I was referencing to the 98951-T/ 300/900 Powergrip being for limited drag/slick use and having the 580hp limitation and was suggesting to step up to the Powergrip HD 900/900 for prolonged strip use or higher HP applications.

:beer: It's all good bro! I'm growing more and more fond of Ram ever since I put the street dual kit in my car. It's amazing.

Jared

Dirk

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting the Centerforce dual friction, but can I use it with the stock flywheel?

I do live in Germany and can only take what fits in my luggage on the flight back to Germany.
So a new flywheel is no option.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
I'm thinking about getting the Centerforce dual friction, but can I use it with the stock flywheel?

I do live in Germany and can only take what fits in my luggage on the flight back to Germany.
So a new flywheel is no option.

YES, I just got done with my install of what you just mentioned.. it should be on the road in a week or so... the stock flywheel turned just fine.. here look, the 1st link shows what the flywheel looked like when i took it out on a stock clutch at 54k miles http://www.socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13765&page=3

and this link shows the finished product http://www.socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13765&page=4 you can also view the whole thread for any info!! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread