Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a T56 swap on my Mach and am really on the fence with this one. The guy who sold me the box was aware of this mod but didn't do it because he said it shifted fine and didn't need it.
Anyone on this thread have lots of miles since doing it and what are your thoughts?
Coming with MGW.

The mod doesn't do anything to the internals or syncros etc. It just reduces pressure on the indent spring allowing the shifter to move more freely. Yes I have many thousands of nicer shifting on my tranny with this mod.

32VALVR

Mach On!
Established Member
The mod doesn't do anything to the internals or syncros etc. It just reduces pressure on the indent spring allowing the shifter to move more freely. Yes I have many thousands of nicer shifting on my tranny with this mod.

I understand how the mod works, just concerned about too much slop or possible gear pop out. It appears that all those, I think two that complained of pop out had oe shifters.
Appreciate the replies, keep em coming.

Texas Cobra 04

Established Member
I could tell no difference with 2 washers... I have a MGW which feels more notchy than my Pro 5.0 in my LS1

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
So for those of you who are lucky enough to have a AutoZone or Napa near by that actually carry these, this need not apply.

I ordered mine at AutoZone last week ($1.99), a week later and it still hadn't arrived. No tracking number and no way of knowing when it would ship to the store. 40 min drive to Napa, and they also don't carry them in the store and would need to order them. Next stop, eBay. Some people want stupid money for these, however, many of them tell you what the part is used on. Go to Dorman's website and verify that yes, Honda, GM, and Peugeot all used this same part. Since there is a Honda dealership down the street, take a ride down there and they have plenty.

Honda OE# 94109-20000. Cost: .25 ea.

They aren't made of copper, but I'm sure will work all the same.

Other part numbers can be found here:
Dorman Products - Search 65277

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I think there were those asking for pictures of the bolt on the Cobra T56. Here are mine while it was out. I don't there is anything amazing here different than other photos posted.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

32VALVR

Mach On!
Established Member
So for those of you who are lucky enough to have a AutoZone or Napa near by that actually carry these, this need not apply.

I ordered mine at AutoZone last week ($1.99), a week later and it still hadn't arrived. No tracking number and no way of knowing when it would ship to the store. 40 min drive to Napa, and they also don't carry them in the store and would need to order them. Next stop, eBay. Some people want stupid money for these, however, many of them tell you what the part is used on. Go to Dorman's website and verify that yes, Honda, GM, and Peugeot all used this same part. Since there is a Honda dealership down the street, take a ride down there and they have plenty.
Did the same dance with Autozone/Napa to finally source them at Honda. the trans is in and shifts are effortlessly smooth. The only thing I noticed that while shifting to third in normal street driving if you ever so slightly drag your hand back after the shift but before letting the clutch out you can pull it out of gear. No problems at all 12 passes @Irwindale. Killer mod!

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
32VALVR - did you use two washers or one? I haven't noticed too much of a change, but I believe the shop only installed one.

supman

Established Member
put two washers on my 03 bout 1000 miles ago.
noticed a little bit of slop in neutral.
but definitely shifts smoother.
t56 is out for a spec 3+ clutch currently and i will be leaving the washers in.

Cobruh

Established Member
Just did mine yesterday with 2 washers and I could tell a difference.

It's much easier to shift, I've always had problems with 2-3 it's still a little more difficult than the others but definitely helped!

my92gt

Established Member
The Dorman number 65277 is now a 3/4 M20 as opposed to the Original 13/16 M20.. I still used the washers as it is only 3/4=12/16 so I'm only missing a 2/16 from using both of these.. I will post results later as I'm waiting for my McLeod RXT clutch to come in..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Here's some basic "technical" information on the T-56...

The "bolt" that everyone is removing is referred to as the Shift Detent Assembly by Tremec. It is there to essentially keep the shift rail in each gear by "clicking" against what is called the Front Offset Lever. The "notchiness" of the T-56 is basically there (actually, among several reasons) because it has "two" shifters: the one we use and another that is adjacent to the Shift Detent, again, the "Front Offset Lever". Well, that is a simple way to put it anyway!

There is an inspection plate above the Detent Bolt that can be removed, and in it's place, a new shifter can be fit in (with some modification) for use in street rods, trucks, etc. If anyone has a T-56 out, you can remove the plate and work the shifter to see the Front Offset Lever (which is pinned to the 1-2 & 3-4 shift rail) in action up against the Shift Detent. You can also do an internet search on "T56 shifter relocation" and find many good pictures on the whole assembly.

Anyway, here is a pic from the service manual that shows where the "bolt" notches in (my red arrow):

Shifter1.jpg

By shimming the bolt out, the force against the Offset Lever is obviously reduced. You can also shim it out too far and then you would risk having no "force" to hold that Offset Lever in it's place while in each gear. A slight reduction is fine since many of you guys are taking some of the pressure off and removing some of the force needed to change each gear!

Once the "bolt" is back in, here's another image from the service manual that shows how it fits in against the Front Offset Lever. Also, for those that have asked, the torque spec is 30#/ft for it:

Shifter2.jpg

Personally, I have not done the mod since I changed out the internal springs on my B&M Ripper and the shift force was reduced just fine in that regard. Enjoy otherwise!

30 ft/lbs seems high for copper washers. :shrug:

Is anyone using Loctite on the bolt?

10sec89

Established Member
I just stumbled onto this post last night and thought hmmmm worth a shot since my t-56 shifts horrible. Advanced Auto had the washers in stock. Jacked up the car and used the 15/16th 3/8th's drive socket with a swivel and 12" extension, came out no problem (car has an off road pipe). Popped on the two washers, reinstalled the detent bolt and took it for a drive. Wow huge difference on my car, I think next trip to the track I might be capable of some powershifting now. Tran's feels great to me, second best and cheapest improvement I have done to my car.:thumbsup:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
30 ft/lbs seems high for copper washers. :shrug:

Is anyone using Loctite on the bolt?

That is the torque spec for that bolt directly from the Tremec service manual. The fact that guys are sticking washers behind the bolt, whether copper or steel, is irrelevant.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
That is the torque spec for that bolt directly from the Tremec service manual. The fact that guys are sticking washers behind the bolt, whether copper or steel, is irrelevant.

So torque it to the 30 even with copper washers?

gabe1530

Banned
got mine installed a couple days ago but had to leave that night for the holidays. i cant wait to see how much it helps out when i get back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread