Wanting to enlist, torn on options

NinjaBum

Established Member
I respect the Marine Corps infantry just as they seem to respect any 11-series. I've met quite a few Marines who were kind of arrogant towards me then found out I was an infantryman and they said "Oh, you're alright with me." Probably because we do the exact same job, and can empathize with having to live in a 2 room hut with 10-12 other dudes and no power for a year, surrounded by assholes who would sneak in and cut your head off if they got the chance.

MrWesson22

Established Member
I respect the Marine Corps infantry just as they seem to respect any 11-series. I've met quite a few Marines who were kind of arrogant towards me then found out I was an infantryman and they said "Oh, you're alright with me." Probably because we do the exact same job, and can empathize with having to live in a 2 room hut with 10-12 other dudes and no power for a year, surrounded by assholes who would sneak in and cut your head off if they got the chance.

Spot on. That's been my experience as well. The only Marines I have personally experienced talking trash about Army grunts were REMFs.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
USN or USMC...Army is for people who can't hack the Marines...USAF is for people who really DON"T want to be in the military....

I know I will hear about this one from others..

dumbest thing one could type.

The USMC infantry is trained to Army standards (TRADOC, Ft Benning Ga)
The USMC gets rides from the Air Force
The USMC gets paid by the Navy

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
USN or USMC...Army is for people who can't hack the Marines...USAF is for people who really DON"T want to be in the military....

I know I will hear about this one from others..

I'm an R.I. here at 4th RTB on Fort Benning. come on by, I'll sort ya out. :beer:

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I'm an R.I. here at 4th RTB on Fort Benning. come on by, I'll sort ya out. :beer:

ha, i used to live next door to an army sniper that went to the Olympics as a kid in Columbus. and a black hat on the other side of me. small world

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
KNowing what I know now...location location location

The Army does not do "water front property" I would have gone Marines if the recruiter would have hurried his a$$ up. But at age 17 I didnt give a crap about water front. Example....Fort Irwin California vs Camp Pendelton, Oceanside Ca.....I was very very impressed with that post.

I'd go with waterfront property as an optional assignmet, you wont get it in the Army

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member

The Army does not do "water front property" I would have gone Marines if the recruiter would have hurried his a$$ up. But at age 17 I didnt give a crap about water front. Example....Fort Irwin California vs Camp Pendelton, Oceanside Ca.....I was very very impressed with that post.

I'd go with waterfront property as an optional assignmet, you wont get it in the Army

Definitely a nice byproduct. I went from Kaneohe Bay, HI to Camp Pendleton, CA, but others in the Marine Corps have not been as fortunate.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member

Uhh well at least when I was in, you got to pick East Coast, West Coast, or Overseas for your "desired" permanent duty station area out of MOS school.

"East Coast" consisted of Jacksonville (NC), Cherry Point, or Beaufort.
"West Coast" consisted of Camp Pendleton or MCAS Miramar.
"Overseas" included Kaneohe, HI, Okitraz, or Iwa Kuni.

We got to rate which options we wanted in order, but couldn't specify exact duty station preference. Still, when you look at the choices I've listed above, it's pretty easy to see one choice is FAR more popular than the others, making it harder to get as well. I got lucky and struck gold with MCAS Miramar, but I knew people who picked the same preferences I did and ended up in Okitraz. The SCUBA diving was nice when I was deployed there, but the command sucked and the people loathed your existence.

Be careful what you wish for. Waterfront property is not always ideal.

OP, take DaleM's advice. Recruiters are special people who care about numbers only, not about your personal well-being nor the unit's well-being where you're going (got a lot of ROCKS that didn't belong in our MOS but were pushed into it because of it being a skill MOS, resulting in waste of resources and guys who thought they'd be working on electronics but instead are serving shit on a plate in the chow hall).

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
My point is: YOU make it what YOU want out of it. All the services have their unique niche but they all have at least one thing in common, above and beyond the discipline, self confidence, motivation... etc, management of time, personnel, and resources. The good thing about this is you can begin gaining this experience almost as soon as you join.

Couldn't have said it better myself

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
dont ****ing do it, go to college and go in as an officer

THIS! if my son wants to join when he's older you can bet your ass i'm making him go to college before. Officer lifestyle is so much diff. :nonono:

GARDENSNAKE97

Established Member
Ok, I'm going to stay out of this pissing contest and just try to help this guy with the facts that I have, regarding the Navy.

Fact- Yes most of us are on ships, but you don't spend your whole career on one. Depending on your job or "rate" you have a "sea/shore" rotation. For my job in particular I have to spend 5 years at "sea going" commands, now keep in mind that doesn't have to be a aircraft carrier or a tin can destroyer or anything else you see on TV. Then I am eligible for 3 years of shore duty. A lot of smaller units are considered "sea going". There are also people that spend 20 years in the Navy without going on a ship. Seabees (construction battalions) are a good example.

False- Ships aren't "weinerfests". This isn't the Vietnam era anymore and almost every ship in the Navy is mixed gender now. my command right now is about 60/40 male to female ratio. Not like it matters. You shouldn't be out here looking to get laid anyways. Even submarines have started to integrate female officers on board.

You will spend A LOT of time away from home port if you are on a ship. You will work long hours underway, you'll work long hours in port sometimes as well. It's safe to say that you will spend more time away from home in the Navy than with the other branches. But on the flip side I had been to 30+ countries and been around the world 3 times before I turned 25. Is there BS to you have to deal with? Of course. Are there going to be people you don't like? Absolutely. I think the problem is that people expecting the military life to be like what it is they have seen on TV and in movies. But you have to understand that just like in the civilian world, the military has their fair share of assholes, douchebags and just straight up nasty people.

No matter what branch you decide to go with you have to remember that you are making a choice to serve, this is an all volunteer military. Expect to be ready for a culture shock and to be way out of your comfort zone until you get into the swing of things. My first year or so in the Navy I had moved 3 different times for schools and pretty much walked around with a clueless look on my face 24/7.

You will give up a lot of your personal freedom, and time. Being away from family is hands down the hardest part of it all. But no matter how much people will complain about their life in the military, you can't beat free housing and health insurance. Along with countless amounts of other programs the military offers. It's nowhere near perfect, but there is no where else I would rather be or nothing else I'd rather be doing right now. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. Thanks.

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
Army is for people who can't hack it in the Marines? Yeah, you'll definitely catch flak for that. Here's some incoming now. Want to jump out of planes? Don't go USMC. Want to be able to choose your job? Don't go USMC. Want to be Ranger or Special Forces? Don't go USMC. Don't want to get stuck on a ship for 6 month floats? Don't go USMC. That said, two of my closest friends are former Marines (both of which I met in the US Army), and I have nothing but respect for Marines and the USMC. In my experience, they are the most disciplined of all branches.

Want to jump out of planes? Don't go USMC
I guess Marines don't get jump wings? This is complete bs as we have many Marines that jump out of planes

Want to be able to choose your job? Don't go USMC
I joined the Marines back in 1993 and was able to pic my job. I was a recruiter back in 1999 and gave all of my applicants jobs they wanted or was qualified for. BS again

Don't want to get stuck on a ship for 6 month floats? Don't go USMC
This is not always the case either unless you get assigned MEU, FAST Company or special Det.

Want to be Ranger or Special Forces? Don't go USMC
Ever hear of Force Recon, Scout Snipers, or MARSOC (Marine Corps Special Operations Command)? I'm going to assume not

If you have never been a Marine, please don't try to tell others what we have and what we don't. You'll usually have some devil dog come and blow your statements out the water. Just because you spoke to people with a combined 30 years of experience means nothing. I can speak to 15 LCpl's (E-3's) who all have been in about two years and that is a total of 30 years experience. But I bet no one in their right minds would take me speaking to those young devil pups as Marine Corps gospel.

Last edited:

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
dumbest thing one could type.

The USMC infantry is trained to Army standards (TRADOC, Ft Benning Ga)
The USMC gets rides from the Air Force
The USMC gets paid by the Navy

Marines do not get trained to Army Standards. We at times may refer to "some" Army pubs as to not re-invent the wheel, but the Marine Corps tactics taught at SOI (School of Infantry East/West) is not based off Army standards or doctrine.

Marines get rides from Marines, Navy, and Airforce. We have our own planes and helo's that we utilize also.

Marines get paid by the Department of Defense just like every other branch...not the Navy.

Last edited:

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Got cute kids?

Thank a Coastie?

But you are young....... Try the USMC. Many options after your first tour. Would not trade my time in for anything. 0331!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread