Washing a Black Car in Direct Sunlight

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
CR spotless is a good system. It will not leave many, if any, water spots behind-even without drying. I still would not want to use it in direct sunlight, and that is not due to the water 'type' being used for rinsing, but more about the shampoo being used on a hot surface.

CV355

_
Established Member
Post a couple of the vids you watched, cuz that's just cray cray.

I watched this figuring it was one of those DI systems. Made me go "hmm." There are plenty of other videos showing similar. In this one, he at least uses a MF towel to dry. Others didn't. He's basically using the spray wax as a drying agent- that makes sense. The ones that just spray it and leave it are BS, for sure.

If I don't use a drying towel, the entire wash was a waste of time.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I'll chime in with the CR spotless as well. I've tested this, let a car dry in the direct sun and it indeed did not leave spots. However when I was using chemical guys soap it did leave a ton of spots. Switched to Griots & Dodo juice, no issues.

I will say tho, my CR is pissing me off. I just did a resin swap recently and it's immediately showing 14PPM. I suspect one of my canisters may be leaking (thin plastic), I'm going to end up doing a canister exchange just to get it working again.

When it works, it's great. When its maintenance time, it drives me up a wall.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Owned several black DD over the last 7 years.
After this weekend washed and detailed my white DD. Shoulda done it sooner.
Ill never go back to black, ever unless it's a show car/weekender

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
My Raptor is black and it has an even bigger problem for washing in the sun -- It's sheer size. Even with a shop I pull into to dry it if I attempt to wash it in the direct sun of OK it leaves water spots I have to get off because it takes so long to wash. So now I just get up early or do it super late (around 7am or after 7pm) and then pull it into my shop and dry it and finish detailing it at my leisure.

CV355

_
Established Member
My Raptor is black and it has an even bigger problem for washing in the sun -- It's sheer size. Even with a shop I pull into to dry it if I attempt to wash it in the direct sun of OK it leaves water spots I have to get off because it takes so long to wash. So now I just get up early or do it super late (around 7am or after 7pm) and then pull it into my shop and dry it and finish detailing it at my leisure.

That's about where I'm at. The days of "lazy afternoon car wash" are long gone.

Early morning seems to work better for me since it's cooler out at the same time. The sun still blasts down on our driveway until about 8pm now, so unless I want to rush everything in 40 minutes, I'm out of luck in the afternoon. Gotta get up at 6am to start, then by 8am it's already unbearable.

That's one of the only things I miss about CT. The sun was never oppressive. Here, if you can see it, it's trying to kill you.

Users who are viewing this thread