Washington D.C. small claims, valet damaged my Jeep

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Was in D.C. for the night two weeks ago and had my brand new Jeep valet parked. When I picked it up in the morning the valet just gave me my keys and I went to the back, loaded my luggage, got in and drove off. Parked about 2 miles away next to the Mall near the Washington Monument. When I got out I saw a fairly large dent in the front right corner of my bumper. Pushed in the corner since it's plastic and hollow. Call the hotel and let them know right away and they said they'd file a claim with the insurance company. Well today I got a letter from the insurance company stating they see no fault on the hotel staff's part and since I found the damage after leaving they are not going to cover the damage of $671 to replace the front bumper cover. What are my options here? Should I get a laywer or take them to small claims court? Would I have a chance at having judgment in my favor? Any ideas, tips, advice? This Jeep is brand new. 2800 miles. Just washed it before I went to the hotel so I KNOW it wasn't there, plus I did a walk around when I dropped it off.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Since you left the area before noticing the damage, it's your word against theirs. Unless one of the valets is willing to admit to the damage, you will have a very tough time.

Have you filed a claim with your own insurance company yet?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
^ I agree.
I believe you are going to have to chalk that up to a hard lesson learned. If you would have found the damage while still at the hotel, you would have had an excellant case.
Never trust the valet folks, most could care less about your car or yourself.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Unless you go over the car before leaving the valet, you have no way of proving that that dent in your bumper did not occur sometime in the 2 miles you drove afterward. Their defense will be that you left, hit your bumper and are now trying to pin it on them.

From then on, there's no evidence to go by, and a judge will most likely throw the case out.

sc98cbra

Established Member
Cost to hire a lawyer-2000$
Cost to fix your bumper-671$

If you really want to get your way, Call someone who is higher ranking then the Hotels General Manager and raise Cain.

If that doesn't work, Keep Talking to someone higher ranking, They will eventually give, or it will be best to cut your losses.

Mustanger

Established Member
There is no way you yourself can be sure it was not hit after leaving the hotel...if you did a walkaround at the hotel you would have noticed it ...why should you stick them with the bill & cause my rates to go up if I stay there? Just curious...

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Should have done a walk around when you picked the car up. Lesson learned.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
If you really want to get your way, Call someone who is higher ranking then the Hotels General Manager and raise Cain.

I saw something on 20/20 about how communicating directly with the company's heads will get you much more desirable results. It can't hurt. If you get a sympathetic ear up there, you're set. If you get the brushback, you'll have documented proof that the hotel company doesn't care from the top down in the negative PR campaign you'll probably feel like starting.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Since you left the area before noticing the damage, it's your word against theirs. Unless one of the valets is willing to admit to the damage, you will have a very tough time.

Have you filed a claim with your own insurance company yet?

^ I agree.
I believe you are going to have to chalk that up to a hard lesson learned. If you would have found the damage while still at the hotel, you would have had an excellant case.
Never trust the valet folks, most could care less about your car or yourself.

Unless you go over the car before leaving the valet, you have no way of proving that that dent in your bumper did not occur sometime in the 2 miles you drove afterward. Their defense will be that you left, hit your bumper and are now trying to pin it on them.

From then on, there's no evidence to go by, and a judge will most likely throw the case out.

Should have done a walk around when you picked the car up. Lesson learned.

What they said.

However, you can file in small claims court for a minimal fee. This will put the valet service on notice that you arent going to let this go. If the valet company is a corporation they will have to send an attorney and this will cost them. Often times the right person will see the claim and determine it is cheaper to pay the money then the cost of going to court even if they win.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
What they said.

However, you can file in small claims court for a minimal fee. This will put the valet service on notice that you arent going to let this go. If the valet company is a corporation they will have to send an attorney and this will cost them. Often times the right person will see the claim and determine it is cheaper to pay the money then the cost of going to court even if they win.

Thanks for the tip. I was contemplating that and is probably the course of action I'll take. The fee is minimal, less than $50 if I read the website correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread